D13 help!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by raildog, Feb 24, 2008.

1. raildog

raildog Member

Can any of you guy's tell me how much louder the d13 10/20 is compared to my cj11? Man all ******** aside this is the best sounding amp I have ever owned!!! using it with a t-rex roommate put's me in blues heaven!!! but just not enough volume with another guitarist in a band setting.does anyone know how to get more volume out of it? please help me, I am desperate.Scott

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Dont know the particulars but a more efficient speaker is the simplest way to get more volume. (If possible) switching to a speaker rated 3 db more sensitive is like doubling the output of the amp. Bob

3. Sherman

Sherman Supporting Member

I don't know that the SJT10/20 will be twice as loud as your CJ11. I own an SJT and the 10 watt setting is definitely not half the volume of the 20 watt setting. It has "slightly" less volume in the 10 watt mode. As I understand it wattage does not translate in linear volume output (20 watts is not twice as loud as 10 watts on my SJT). Do you guys play through a PA. You might consider miking your amp if you do. Just my $.02.

4. sicktone

sicktone Member

The SJT is quite a bit louder than the CJ11. I think you would dig the reverb if you're liking the CJ/Roommate sound. Each input on the SJT gives you a totally different sound. Throw in the speaker dampening switch and you've got a lot of choices.
    The SJT through a 2x12 should get you some pretty serious stage volume. I had the SJT next to a CJ11 for a few weeks. Big volume difference. CJ11 is more hotrodded Tweed deluxe. SJT is more of a hot Blackface Deluxe/Super.
    Both awesome amps. I was able to coax a bit more volume out of the CJ using an RC booster, but it would NOT keep up with the SJT volume-wise.
    Happy hunting!

5. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

Try a 100dB rated speaker(g12h30?)...maybe even a v30. An extension cab at the same time would also help.

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

the SJT is WAY louder than the CJ11 to my ears. I miss my SJT at times, that was a fantastic amp, especially with the matching closed back 2x12.

7. mprvise

mprvise Member

Another vote for speaker/cab change. When using my JRT 9/15 with a DR Z 4X10 it can keep up with just about any amp shy of a 100W full stack.

8. raildog

raildog Member

Thanks guy's I am going to call Fred today and ask if he thinks the gold will do it, without losing to much of the amps charactor. Scott

9. DavidH

DavidH Member

Well i tried the Gold this morning and while it is a bit louder i don't think it sounds good at all,i was expecting to like it more.i'll leave it in for a day or two and see if it grows on me.

See i'm a bit of a synaesthesiac,and with the GB in the CJ i get a spectrum of big bright colours and it feels fat and fruity and juicy to me,makes me think of opal fruits(ok i'ma bit nuts,so what).It's big and round and 3D where the gold feels kind of flat(2D) and grey to me,too thin and compressed.

I think it's better suited to singing el84 amps(sounds fab in my soho),the compression in the high end desn't suit the CJ to my ears.It is a bit louder though,i got a bit of ear fatigue sitting too close which i don't get at all with the GB.

My money would be on the V30 in this amp,i know a lot of people dislike them but i have an incling it might work OK with the CJ while being a wee bit louder.Fred uses it in the 13/29 which is exactly the same cab as this.still i don't think the volume difference will be huge,an ext. cab or the 10/20 might be the answer.