D13 vs. Matchless, Bad Cat, 65 amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by themusicboxstudios, Mar 22, 2006.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

Hey guys, I've really been considering venturing out of the divided by 13 world. After this upcoming affair with my RSA31 (i've owned the FTR37 and SJT10/20 and have played every other model except the 33), I was thinking about chilling out for a little while and maybe looking into some cheaper amps. I've picked up a gig as a bass player, so i've gotta start paying for that stuff as well. Not to mention that i have just been feeling a little unappreciated and kind of bummed out when i have spoken to Fred lately. :(

Anways, I've been considering either a Matchless Clubman, a Bad Cat, or a 65 London.

I was wondering if any of you could compare your experiences with these amps to the Divided by 13 line. Would i be dissapointed? Or is it something equally as great, just different?

All opinions are welcome.

Btw, i'm basically a straight Tele man. So SC's are where it's at for me and my amps.

And if anyone is local (THE OC!) who has a london or a clubman, i would absolutely love to try them out if that is it all possible. of course you are free to check out my RSA31 when it gets here, or my pedals.

2. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Oh god jon, you need to go to Tone Merchants in Orange to try out a Hot Cat and a Black Cat. Two amazing amps from Bad Cat that love Teles more than anything else! Depends on if you want the versatility and EL34 kerrang of the Hot Cat or the chimey roar of the Black Cat. Right now, I'm trying to decide for myself on that choice too.

The upside to this is you'll have an amp with a great master volume and versatility. I know you were battling this with the D13s. Also the Black Cat has a half power switch (to 15w). Just some food for thought. Let me know if you have any other questions about that kind of stuff. :D

3. e-z

e-z Member

I've never played a รท13 but have a Matchless DC-30 and a 65 Amps London. Teles and EL-84s go great together. You chould check out the Clubman and the London.

4. theirflowers11

theirflowers11 Member

I have been wondering how the Matchless Clubman would compare to D13. The Clubman rocks!

5. justicetones

justicetones Member

Hey Jon,

Chris here. I have a Bad Cat Hot Cat and a Dr. Z Maz jr.18. I love both alot and you are more than welcome to check them out and play through them if you want to make the trek up to the Pasadena area. I am pretty much a single coil guy as well.

I recently had a friends SJT 10/20 combo here. Man does that thing rock. Very Dynamic.......

6. themusicboxstudios

thanks guys, any other opinions?

thanks, jon

7. pm250

pm250 Member

Got a Black Cat 30R 2x12 myself, and whilst I would suggest you try it yourself rather than rely on other peoples opinions, if you love the pure sound of a Tele then you wont go wrong with this amp. I`ve always favoured EL84 amps though so maybe I`m biased. I find the amp sits well with both single coils and humbuckers, and really lets the sound of the particular guitar shine. I use a CS Relic Nocaster and CS Relic Strat through this and am really pleased with the unmistakable sounds of both.
    They both sound exactly like a Fender should to my ears ie clean , punchy and chimey etc . As for overdriven sounds, both my `96 R9 Les Paul and `59 Les Paul TV sound wicked when cranked,giving me a real sweet overdriven crunch. I dont normally use any pedals but have just pulled the trigger on a Klon Centaur for a little extra boost so I cant wait to try that out.
    As for customer service,all I can say is James has always responded to my emails within hours (even offering advice on which nos valves sound good in his product) so I cant fault him. Seems like a great guy. Good luck with your search. Paul Wales UK

8. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I've got a Matchless DC30, and it's a great amp with teles. I would suggest either the SC, DC or HC30 over the Clubman for a tele.

With that said, I think it depends upon what kind of music you're playing and what kind of tone you're looking for. If you play modern country, there are many session players in Nashville using the Matchless amps. The get a great, smooth overdrive with incredible harmonic content.

Another thing to consider is their weight. My DC30 weighs a tone, probably somewhere around 85 pounds and it's a bear to lug around. If you're looking for something lighter, you might consider the 65 London. I hear that it's considerably lighter and gets a more vintage sound. . .

Now, if volume is important. . .the Matchless, even on half power, is the loudest amp I've ever played.

Good luck!

9. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Jon- im the one who has the SJT Chris borrowed.....if you come up this way with your RSA, I can bring the SJT, and with Chris' HotCat we can have an amp shoot out!! :)
    Charlie

10. themusicboxstudios

haha, thanks for the offer, but that's a little further than i wanted to travel, and i really don't think the hotcat is for me, and i know the SJT isn't for me.

thanks though, jon

11. guitonit

guitonit Member

Kind of funny that you mention the %13 and the Clubman comparison. I bought a '94 Clubman about a month ago, recalling the tonal bliss that I had experienced with one about 6 years ago. As I remembered, it was killer. However, I then plugged into my trusty %13 ERT33, and it proceeded to KILL the Clubman. I mean, no comparison. The bass response, and just all around full range tone of the 33 was far superior in my opinion. Sooooo, this week I really got myself in to some trouble and bought a FTR37.

The Clubman is being sold tomorrow.

Scott A.

12. themusicboxstudios

which is brighter of the 37,33, and Clubman?

thanks, jon

13. guitonit

guitonit Member

The Clubman definitely had more high end, but compared to the %13 it was not as smooth. It just sounded really thin compared to both the 33 and 37.

Scott A.

14. themusicboxstudios

gotcha ... well sadly, that really kind of takes the clubman out of the running.

Can you compare the ERT33 to the 37 now? I owned a 37 for about 6 months, but foolishly sold it because it was a bit to loud for my needs, and i wanted something a tad more voxy. I'm getting the RSA31 off a gear pager, which i understand to be a ERT33 with the mid control, and that the click channel is the same as the 33's as well.

With that said, I'd like to know your impressions on the 2 amps.

thanks, jon

15. theirflowers11

theirflowers11 Member

you guys make me want to sell my clubman to satisfy my g.a.s for a d/13 :(

16. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Jon,

I own a Bad Cat Cub 1x12 combo, ERT33 head and owned a 65London head so I'll give this comparison a go. The Bad Cat (mine is version 2 without the cut control) is voiced bright and can be a bit much with a Tele bridge pickup. I've run it thru different speakers and that makes a big difference of course. I'm one of the (few?) players who doesn't like the ERT33 through 2 Blues (due to painful high end) but I'm starting to like it more thru 2x12 open Germino cab with Scumbacks SA12H75HP. Nice control via the guitar volume for sure. Click channel is quite bright run alone but can be great with the reverb channel on ABY. The 65amps was not what I was expecting as it sounded smaller and less full than I wanted to hear. I liked it less with my Tele and more with my Les Paul. Also very dynamic and crunches at lower volume, I just missed the fullness.

If you've got used to the /13 trademark big bass then you might find the 65 is not your thing - it's a different amp (smaller iron, so not a fair comparison). After dealing with all 3 companies personally 65amps win the customer service prize for me. I'm looking forward to checking their new amps. I don't know about the other Bad Cats at all.

Hope that helps.
    Chris

17. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

Jon, I don't know if you are wanting comparisions on the three amps you mentioned , or if your open to other amps. If it is just the three, pardon my interuption, but I was gonna suggest a Goodsell Super 17 Mk.2 or Piedmont 33 (S17 1X12; 33 2X12). Check threads here or there is a new reveiw at HC (I know, we all have to take with a grain of salt) from a guy that now prefers his Super 17 Mk.2 over his /13 SRT 37...FWIIW.....
    BZT

18. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

Nothing sounds like a D13.

I have owned the clubman bad cats and just about every D13 and it is tough to beat that tone.

If you liked the 37 find another one and hang on to it.

19. westerhever

westerhever Member

chrissy,

did you buy the d/13 in germany or does fred take direct orders?

20. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Hi Westerhever,

I ordered mine direct from Fred in 2003. Last year Real guitars had a couple in for sale, but other than that, I don't think I've seen any German dealers. Haar Guitars in Holland had a few too I believe.

Are you looking to get one?

Chris