DA-38's[88etc]Anybody still use them?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ricoh, Jul 12, 2004.

1. ricoh

ricoh Member

How about it? I still get good results from mine although I'm not of the cut and paste mentality. Anyone else?

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

I used mine up until this year. I loved them. The reason I originally bought them was to take tracks to Europe on tape, 12 years ago. Back then having stuff on hard disk was an iffy proposition for travel.

DA-88s sound great, to my ear. I like them better than a lot of more recent, higher resolution converters. They are the standard in music for film.

Very nice machines. If you don't need to edit, no need to go the computer recording route. The DA-88s are fast, they work, and they sound good.

What more is there? :D (Oh, I know what more there is, but so what).

3. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

We still use them in the film industry, mainly for playback of the foley tracks and for the delivery of dolby surround mixes.

We also use the HR98 which is a 24 bit version with balanced inputs and outputs.

4. ricoh

ricoh Member

Thanks That's good to know!!! I still use mine and like the sound. I front end direct with a variety of tube pre-amps and still mix down to DAT through a tube compressor. I would like to be automated but that's a whole new learning curve. Maybe one day I'll step into the 21st century!!! Rico

5. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

Still use my DA38 and master to my Sony PCMR500 in my home studio. In fact, they are getting so i expensive I am thinking of picking up another one and have 16 tracks at home.
    "Cut and paste" ain't rock n roll!

6. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

But splicing sure is...

7. ricoh

ricoh Member

I wish I had a 2" machine but that's another thing entirely. I use two DA-38's linked to good effect. I go direct in through ART tube pre-amps and use a stereo DBX pre for overheads and acoustic guitars. I've also had good results using a Pod front ended into a tube pre and tube compressor. Still mixing manually as well. That other stuff is too complicated for a simple minded fool like me!!!!! I need to get me grubby paws on those knobs.