Dabeck Amps, Custom 50s, and Redos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by denej, Jun 26, 2005.

1. denej

denej Guest

High on Dabeck amps? Yes I am and I'll tell you why. Before I knew Dave was in Texas, I bought a Fender Bassman from Larry Morgan's Music. A friend of mine, a local guitar player in Dallas, "Mouse", and I figured it would be okay. I had previously owned a 56 Bassman and sold it in L.A. before I came to Texas. Well, I was not happy.

Then I met Dave Smith. At that time I owned a Fender Blues Jr. as well, and I really didn't like that amp (I'm really a two-speaker player). So before I even bought an amp from Dave, he completely gutted and made his custom 50s (which are actually two-channel Plexis) and we went from there. Both amps became alive. The British clean and the British distortion were everything that I want in an amp. Come to find out, he totally rebuilt both amps to his specs. He got rid of all the PC boards and everything was hand-wired point to point. That became the beginning of the dwindling of my retirement fund.

Dave has also made me a stereo amp that powers my Marshall JMP 1 preamp and it is truly a gift. It is so clean it lets every nuance of any preamp that I put in front of it breathe completely. Powered by four 6L6s, it has allowed me to sell my Pevey 5050 and my Boogie stereo amps.

I can't emphasize enough, in my perspective how alive Dabeck amps sound even at low volumes. The two channel boost and the distortion that using the whole preamp tube enduces, allows for less use of pedals and more use of the entire amp. I have found myself using less pedals (I use Fulltone and Radial tone boost, distortion, loop, and amp switching pedals) and more amp because the master volume really works.

All I can say is call Dave or see him at a Dallas area guitar show if you truly want a clarifying, British-sounding amp because HE will pick up the phone. They don't cost boutique prices because Dabeck Amps are still under the radar. In my opinion other amp companies just don't come close to Dave's amps. I'm not naming names, I've played 'em all, and I've heard 'em all from live to studio. However, the best judge is still your own ears.

Dave has just completed work on an 18 watt, dual channel, push pull master volume that is a monster. I'm pissed because he won't sell it to me and he's going to send it to a customer in California who had gotten ahold of him on the Internet. ;) Luckily enough, he's already started work on mine. Dave's knowledge about tone and how to achieve it and his aim to make the highest quality amp is not only genuine, but are the qualities of a master amp builder and I personally am glad to know him.

2. Mark Williams

Mark Williams Gold Supporting Member

"Alive" is a great way to describe the Dabeck amps, denej! I think I can hear this thing growling even when the power's off.

3. FredW

FredW Member

I hope you are talking about the amp I ordered a couple weeks ago! Is it purple by any chance? Have you heard it yet? I had been looking for an 18 watt marshall type amp with more gain than the typical 18 watter and thanks to this board I found out about Dave. I grew up in Dallas and have a soft spot for Texans (probably because i'll always be one myself-I can't get rid of my hick twang) and I really hit it off with Dave. He reassured me that he will make sure I am totally happy. I am having Cas at tone-tools make me one of his 1012 cabs with a weber blue pup and a V30 in matching purple elephant tolex. I hope it is a good match. I post a review when I get it

4. denej

denej Guest

well, i don't know if its purple because i played it on dave's work bench. i don't think he has the box for the head yet. i gotta tell man, it sounds badass, and i really tried to get it. its got a micro-switch that brightens the high end just enough to make the amp chime when it's on, and a push-pull pot on the master that really is cool. most guys will never own a rig like this.be happy.

5. chubbywolf

chubbywolf Member

I played it yesterday at Dave's house. Yes it is the purple one. Yes it does absolutely rule. You should be one happy man when you get it. It is an incredible amp. Dave is really excited about the amp.

6. FredW

FredW Member

Thanks guys!! I talked to Dave and told him to overnight it to me once it is ready to go. I will report back once I get it. Thanks for all of your help Cody

7. FredW

FredW Member

I forgot to mention- I really want Dave to come out to the LA guitar show on Aug 6, I told him that he could stay with me, I think it would be a great place to get the word out. I could also introduce him to some great dealers that could get him some big exposure out here

8. bobbystroker

bobbystroker Guest

what on earth are you thinking fred??? don't you dare get dave any exposure! he'll start charging more :FM wait until i get MY amp. :D just emailed him a day or so ago and i'm in the process of spec'ing out an amp. keep him on the DL just a bit longer. ;)

edited for typo

9. Mark Williams

I think that "ship" may already be pulling out of the harbor, Bobby. I've contacted David about my next Dabeck, too, and he seems to be getting very, very busy. I think more attention for David & his amps will work out for everybody well, though, in the long run. He certainly deserves it,.......and you're going to love your Dabeck amp, I'm absolutely sure!:dude

10. FredW

FredW Member

I'm with ya but this guy deserves to succeed. He is such a great guy and you can tell he works his ass off. He built the amp in no time and kept saying that the amp was just building itself. You could tell that he was excited about it and having fun building it. I would guess he built the amp in three days, he was just waiting on the head cab. I ordered the amp on the 17th and it is done now. I guess those days are over

11. Mark Williams

Yes, he does. He's said he works through the night while his wife is sleeping. David also says that, for a new design, the hardest part is getting the "design math and the drawings" down on paper before building. He obviously enjoys the physical building & seems to be genuinely excited about new designs to fit the customer's needs & wants. He says he's able to build his past designs "mostly by memory and then tweak them into life for the customer." I'm going for a new design this time & I'M excited about it, too!

12. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I'm sure the amp sounds great, but he really should put up some better sounding clips. They can make or break an Internet based amp business.

Any of you owners have the ability? I'd like to hear some better ones.

13. Mark Williams

I agree that it would be great if David had more soundclips on the website, and I think the website should be more comprehensive with re: all the stuff he does in general. I think David has paid much more attention to the amp designs & building than to the website, though. I think very few of the amp websites have clips that can give you a real idea of what the amps will sound like when you're playing through them yourself. (Have you ever listened to the Bad Cat clips? Man!) Although I don't think the sounds on the Dabeck amp site are all that bad, I admit that I was hesitant to contact David after only hearing those clips. It was the testimony of other Texans & my conversation with David that won me over. (And I've just ordered another amp from him, thinking that I better do so before the Dabeck "train" REALLY starts rolling.)
    All that said, Mike G, you've really got to play through one of these amps yourself to understand how good it can get......and it can get very, very good, especially for the kind of music you describe yourself playing.:cool:

14. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I really would like to ... not sure how I'd ever get the chance, unless I buy a new one.

I don't doubt the reviews, but taste is too subjective for me to bargain on a new amp purchase. That's why I buy used 90% of the time -- at least I lose a lot less if it doesn't work out.

Yeah, I don't necessarily think the clips are bad, per se, but there's nothing there that captivates me, I guess.

The fact that he doesn't seem to take a cookie cutter approach, and is willing to tweak, is VERY appealing, I must say.

15. Mark Williams

Give him a call, Mike, and maybe he'll play one over the phone for you. You could also talk with him about his guarantees of satisfaction.......or email David at davidsmith175@comcast.net.
    Sorry to sound like a sales rep (I'm anything but, believe me...), but I haven't been as blown away by any piece of gear in a long time.

16. chubbywolf

chubbywolf Member

It is great to hear from other people that agree.