1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dabeck High Power Tweed Twin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by chubbywolf, Jun 16, 2005.

1. chubbywolf

chubbywolf Member

I do not own this amp, but have played it several times, and I really think it may be the best amp I have ever heard. By far, the best fender-type amp I have personally encountered. Compared it side by side with a Victoria, and it SMOKED it. Build quality is top notch...no expense spared. $2200.00 is a steal for this amp. I am buying one as soon as I can.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. davebc

davebc Member

How did it "smoke" the Victoria tweed twin?

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

The Victoria was downwind of the Dabeck when it caught on fire?

4. davebc

davebc Member

Yea,I own two Vics.That's exactly what I was thinking!:p

5. MVrider

MVrider Member

Every review that compares yet ANOTHER tweed clone to the Victoria - or tries to, anyway - just reinforces my impression that Victoria is still king of that hill...

6. Chi

Chi Member

I don't know....I'm REALLY liking my Fender 57 RI..you will have to pry it from my cold dead hands..

CW- did you try it with a VIctoria High Power (80watter) or low power? The feel ( and volume) of the LP vs HP is way different to my ears...the Bottom end on a HP Tweed Twin is tremendous.

7. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Well, I have not played a vicky twin, but I played this Dabec and it smokes.

Very solid, crisp punch to it.

8. Blueser

Blueser Member

I thought that 57 TT RI that Chi had at the Tonefest was an absolute @$$ kicker, and while I can imagine amps that are as good, or even slightly better in certain areas than the TT RI, I really have never heard anything in it's genre that smokes it, and probably nothing that you would here in a loud band context.

9. chubbywolf

chubbywolf Member

Okay...I didn't mean to ruffle feathers. I am simply reporting what I experienced. And by smoked, I mean huge bloom, harmonic complexity, inspiring tone. Comparitively speaking, the Victoria was very ho-hum. Not to mention that David (Dabeck) has serviced several Vics, and if you think that they are the ultimate...well okay. Aside from the board rattling at higher volumes and the lackluster tone, Victorias are great. Just because you havent heard of Dabeck doesnt mean they arent great. Remember, there was a time when no one had heard of Sean Connery. People who have bought Dabecks also own the following brands: Victoria, Bruno, Fargen, Harry Joyce, Wizard, TopHat, Soldano, VHT, Snake River....countless others. REMEMBER this: There is always someone ..somewhere that does it better. In this case fellas, I think Dabeck IS doing it better.
    Why? Compared to the Vic, the Dabeck had more bloom, more complexity, more character. In my book, more plus more plus more = BETTER.
    Check him and the amps out guys.

10. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

I didn't know Sean Connery had a line of amps for sale.

Your guy's web page has some very average sound samples on it. He may want to start by providing some reputable playing and MP3s, as I didn't hear anything there that blew away any amps I have personally heard or played through. Just my $0,02.

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

CW, this thread makes me a little uncomfortable. I agree with most of your premise-Dabeck builds kick ass amps and Vicky construction is average at best for clones. But it really comes across sounding like Spam when one suddenly pops up with love threads for the newest maker and puts down the old guard. I know there're some killer Vicky's in spite of the average components (after all, Fender built his amps with pretty average stuff too and they've held up OK). Dunno, anyway glad you've found an amp that speaks to you. BTW, did you buy one?

12. Chi

Chi Member

That was hilarious!:p

I've never heard a Debeck, but will keep an ear out for one. For tweeds tho my '57 Twin, my one off Fire Amp and my 1960 Vibrolux have got me everywhere I need to go tonally, in spades.

I don't doubt that the Debeck is a great amp tho. If you get one, CW, let us know more about it.

13. chubbywolf

chubbywolf Member

I dont mean to put down the old guard, nor do I intend to come off as spam. I am just genuinely excited about these amps, and should you get a chance to play one, I would do so. The quality of the sound clips could be better, but if you check out a lot of builders' soundclips, they are pretty lackluster as well. You need to be in the room with any amp to get the real vibe. As for the mention of "reputable players"....ever heard the expression sour grapes? If you arent too busy hop-scotching around the globe doing pro session work, play one sometime....you may like it.

14. chubbywolf

chubbywolf Member

DrBob,

I did buy a Dabeck Custom 50watt head (I sold an original Naylor superdrive 60 modded by Bruce Egnater to so so), and I love it. It is the best British style amp I have owned, with Wizard being nest in line. I have played a lot of tweed style amps though...Victoria, Kendrick, etc.....and FOR ME PERSONALLY, this amp ruled the roost. Just my two cents. Call it spam or whatever you want.

15. davebc

davebc Member

Well pal,you never played through MY Vics,
    an absolute sugar factory at lower volumes,crank them up you'll have enough FRIGTENTING NOTE BLOOM to give you a wet spot on the front of your pants!.Don't even get me going on harmonic complexity, nothing"ho-hum" about them!
    You kill me.
    "OK,I didn't mean to ruffle feathers"
    "lackluster tone"
    If you can't get a good tone out of a Victoria,maybe the only thing "lackluster" is your ear.

16. chubbywolf

chubbywolf Member

If you want to me apologize for liking a good thing ...well forget it. Why are you so bent out of shape anyway? You think Victoria has the market cornered on good tone? Geez. Don't worry, I am sure everyone will continue to be impressed by how much you spent.

17. Chi

Chi Member

Ok guys settle down now...The only way to judge these amps is with your own ear...and I don't doubt that both of em would have to be side by side, and the differences would be very subjective. Even the same model amps from one manufacturer sometimes vary greatly from one another...

sooo.....

what I will take from this post is if I c ome across a dabeck amp, I'll check it out...and make my own opinion....

:cool:

18. chubbywolf

chubbywolf Member

Thanks Chi. It feels good to be open-minded doesn't it.

19. MVrider

MVrider Member

So chubbywolf, which parts in the Dabeck are different than those used in the Victoria and which are closer to the originals?