Dada/Michael Gurley

Gassage

I saw these yrs back supporting Crowded House...they were bloody brilliant and Gurley was also amazing.

What ever happened to them?

THey should have made it.

bobmc

Silver Supporting Member
Blast from the past. I had what ever CD had Dizz KNee Land on it and I slowly became obsessed with that, eventually burning myself out (no fault of the band)

mikebat

I have all their recordings. I love how he uses the 2nd in his solos as a "drama" note. I totally stole that from him.

sixty2strat

Saw they were touring 4 or 5 years ago in little clubs, saw the ad the day after the show in Philly ....Doh!

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
Their first album, Puzzle, is in my top 10 all time recordings. Gurley is so cool. His solos give you something to connect to & then take off into left field. Never boring. Great accompaniment guitar too & wonderful Strat tones. One of my favs.
I loved that album so much I collected everything else they recorded. Except for the Live one they seem over-produced to me & just don't have the life of Puzzle.
I would have loved to see them live in their prime!

RickC

Saw them last year in Boston, sounding as good as ever. Michael has a really nice way with a Strat.

/rick

A440

Silver Supporting Member
yes, big fan here! I've seen them a few times. Once when they were using a 2nd guitar (his brother I think).

They do get back together every once in a while for tours, but they are doing their own things lately. Phil the drummer actually plays with the Blue Man Group and does voice over work.

I met them once after a local show in Asbury Park. All cool guys...Mike especially cool and talked a little about gear, etc. He battles hand issues and is constantly icing his arms thru the gig. We talked about it a bit since I also battle CTS and hand issues. They are an amazing live trio.

check out dadatheband.com

Last edited:

Droptop

Gold Supporting Member
I never understood why they didn't become bigger. Great musicians, songwriters and great with audiences.

kinmike

Gold Supporting Member
I saw them in Seattle about 6 or 7 years ago. He played through a Super Reverb and a Boogie. I remember thinking how superb his tone was all night. The Super especially just sounded like soaring musical heaven.

Droptop

Gold Supporting Member
Butterfly Jones was Mike and Phil's band. Great album if you can find it. Very much in the vibe of Dada. Joey put out an album with a band called X Levitation Cult that was also very good.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Was just listening to American Highway Flower.

Great album--melodies, harmonies, playing, singing...

Pretty Girls Make Graves.

teefus

i saw them many years ago at a moderate sized bar in louisville. not sure which disc they were touring for but they tore it up. amazing tones and amazing playing. i think michael gurley's younger brother was their touring rhythm guitarist. michael was playing mostly strats and a boogie head/cab. maybe a dual rectifier?