D'Addario EXL120+; Gauges 9.5-11.5-16-24-34-44

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Don L, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Don L

Don L Member

Anybody use these? I've been using the 10s the last 16 years or so, but sometimes find them to be a bit stiff and find the 9s to be too light. Thinking of trying these on my les paul which feels a bit more stiff with the 10s than the other guitars I have now...

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

On my guitars with 25.5 inch scales I use 10s with a 9.5 first string replacing the 10 and leave the rest alone.

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I've used 'em for years on the Fender scale length guitars, and on my PRS. Dean @ Snake Oil Brand strings even made me up 5 sets - they sound AWESOME, BTW.

I still use 10's on the Gibson guitars. Try reverse wrapping the strings on the tailpiece before you go down a 1/2 gauge - I've gone back to reverse wrapping on my ES-335, and it feels way slinkier with the 10's now.

Know what I mean? When restringing, push the string through the hole in the tailpiece on the bridge side of the tailpiece, then wrap 'em back around the bridge and up to the tuners, like you would if you had a LP Junior type stop bar bridge.

Way slinkier feel, IMHO.

I use the 9.5 set on my Teles - way easier to do some of those hard bends, especially on the low "E", and way easier behind the nut too.

Dana O.

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I used to use the 9.5s and did so for a few years. I loved em, but lately have been going for heavier guages (11s now). They are the perfect compromise for people in your situation, and props to D'addario for realizing this!

I play a Les Paul

5. Don L

Don L Member

Already tried that and raising the stoptail also to reduce the tension, but still bit too stiff for my liking. This particular LP just feels bit stiffer compared to other Gibbys I've had. Some guitars are just born stiffer in my experience...

6. A440

A440 Member

yes, they're a nice compromise between 9's and 10's. I've used the Snake Oil Nickels and Rock in that gauge, and also D'addario

I still have a couple sets around, but I'm back to using 10's lately.
    who knows...may go back again someday :)

7. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Totally cool - you gotta make the call yourself as to how stiff it feels to you, I just thought I'd mention it because it worked so well on my ES-335.

Some of these dang guitars just seem to like different gauges and brands better than others. Who knew? You just discover what works for you and go with it.

I like the way the D'Addario 9.5 set feels and sounds - hell, I buy 'em by the case. (GRIN)

Good Luck, Dana O.

8. Don L

Don L Member

Thanks Dana.
    Where do you buy them in bulk like that? Guitar Center?

9. westerhever

westerhever Member

i put 0.95s on my fender guitars replacing the g-third with a 0.15.
    perfectly balanced for my taste.

10. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Dean makes me a Snake Oil set that subs a .009 for the high E and a .015 for the G, but matches the other gauges in the D'Addario set. After extensive trial and error, it has proven to be the ideal set (for me), and I use it on guitars of varying scale length (Gibson, PRS, Fender).

- DB

11. gulliver

gulliver Member

I used them for a few years but switched back to 9s when I found the attach seemed to be more definite.

12. Don L

Don L Member

Where can I buy these in bulk?

13. Don L

Don L Member

I don't see the bulk package on that site...