DADGAD tuning - anyone know any good tricks in this tuning?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Young Angus, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

I'm getting into a lot more acoustic stuff these days and it took me a while to realise that an acoustic guitar is actually a very different instrument to an electric!

Anyway, that aside, I got wind of the tuning DADGAD recently (if I remember it correctly) and I was just wondering if anyone used it much and what kind of cool nifty tricks there were in a tuning like that?

Cheers!

2. papatar

papatar Member

3. RanaldoNecro

RanaldoNecro Member

4. archtop

archtop Member

check out Andy McKee on youtube or get some Phil Keaggy (especially a song called "County Down" on an album called "Beyond Nature", or check out Michael Hedges.

You can do some cool slap harmonics in DADGAD, and some riffy 5ths on the low D and A with just one finger.

5. Jon

Jon Member

I play around with DADGAD quite a bit by holding down single notes or double stops higher up the neck combined with the open strings - you can get some great and unexpected results.

6. JonR

JonR Member

Scots singer Dick Gaughan also uses DADGAD extensively (almost exclusively).

Its great advantage is that (having no 3rd) it can be used for the D major or D minor key, while still providing an easy set of chord shapes (most only needing one or two fingers).

The disadvantage is the same as with all other open tunings - playing in other keys is harder than in standard tuning. But for frequent users of DADGAD, that issue is solved by a capo.

7. JonR

JonR Member

Love him, he's so... French!
    "...ze more I feel what ze guitar would like me to play...."

Reminds me of that old call: "Make it talk!"
    (I often find it's saying "aaargh, ouch, leave me alone!!")
    :D

8. bynt

bynt Member

One of the things I'm big on is single string scales. You can start by learning the major scale on a root string (the low e that is now tuned to d) and then do the same on the a string:

open, 2nd fret,fourth fret, fifth fret,seventh fret, ninth fret, then the 11th with 12 being back to root.

What happens is that you get a feel for the frets you can play on that are in the major key and therefore can combine them to make chords. It's kind of ghetto but it works. I use the same premise for just about all alternate tunings.

With DADGAD, you can also do the exact same thing with the minor scale because of the absence of the the major third in the tuning. Try it!!!!

9. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Humm... a DADGAD thread and no mention of my bud, Pierre BenSusan... a travisty :)

HJ

10. kimock

kimock Member

post 3 link :)

peace

11. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

Isn't Kashmir in DADGAD?

12. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Balance is restored to the universe :)

HJ

13. RanaldoNecro

RanaldoNecro Member

I always found how those open tuning guys mic and use their guitars to be crucial.. Esp with acoustic tapping

I could never get that with mine

14. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Here's a trick for you in DADGAD. I arranged an old Irish harp tune called "Carolan's Receipt for Drinking" in DADGAD, using cross-picking and open strings to keep as many notes ringing at a time as I could manage on a descending scale, for a very harp-like effect. Here's some lame tabbing of it...

0------------
    -4-0---------
    --4-0--------
    -----4-0--020
    ------7-2---0

That sort of ringing-strings effect from the cross-picking of the G and A strings would be impossible in standard tuning.

And ignore the "both D major and D minor!" comments. Pierre Bensusan plays in EVERY key in DADGAD, with no capo. He's a badass, and a totally amazing live player.

15. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Laurence Juber does a great job in DADGAD, and considers it a second standard tuning.

I also really like Franco Morone...despite the Italian name, he's done some really nice Irish tunes in DADGAD.

John