Dallas v Green Bay: Game thread 1:05 EST

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ford, Jan 11, 2015.

1. AdrenalinJunkie

AdrenalinJunkie Silver Supporting Member

I feel reasonably sure the refs didn't want to it to look like they were giving Dallas a break after last week. If it's questionable, side with Green Bay. I even makes sense to me. I was OK with whoever won, I like both teams, but after all the grief the refs took last week, I think they appearance was a factor. And no refs got to ride in Dallas' party bus;)

2. figgy

figgy Member

Just like the old saying "the truth will set you free".

I've set you free. No thnx necessary.

3. twitch

twitch Member

I think there is some truth to this. This is the domino effect of the bad job the refs did in the Detroit game.

However, say they did not over rule it after the review. You would have numerous examples of very similar plays that were not ruled catches due to thsi rule, and the conspiracy theories would really run wild.

IMO, the bottom limne is this, the rule is a bad one. They called it right within the rule in place. The fact that no one really understands it well, is all I need to know, to determine it is a bad rule.

I will say, at regular speed, I thought it was incomplete, as I saw the ball pop in the air, and I thought the ground caused that.

Upon the replay, it is very hard to determine if he had control or not prior to going to the ground. It moved around, but that also looked like it was Bryant who was moving it around, as it was his hands and arms that were moving arounbd (the ball reamined in contact with his hands). So the description I just gave seems a bit all over the place, which is kind of how the play was. So in that scenario, ususally the call on the field stands.

Either way, IMO, it would have been likely that there was more than enough time for Rodgers to win the game anyway, and the way he was playing n the second half, that was likely. But unfortunately, that was not determined on the field. Two weeks in a row for Dallas that it is more about a key call (or non-call), than anything else. Not good for the game.

4. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

The only part up for the debate of the three criteria of a catch is the "act common to the game". The first two criteria were met. The instant the third is met (or not met), it's a catch (or not a catch) and anything that happens thereafter is under the guise of a reception (or incompletion) having been made.

I feel it is clear Dez made a football move since it was that act common to the game that ultimately lead to his fumble.

5. Seth L

Seth L Member

Figgy doesn't like rules. They make his butt hurt.

6. Craig Walker

Craig Walker An expensive cup V Gold Supporting Member

Too good of a script to have Dallas fans in Detroit fans' shoes this am.

Last week: 8:00 to go, play from the Dallas 41, 3-n-1 flagged picked up. Dallas gets the ball back. Detroit still has plenty of time to stop them and win. They can't. Detroit loses by 4

Yesterday: 4:45 to go, play from GB 32, 4-n-1, you know what happened. Dallas can still stop them and get the ball back. Dallas loses by 6 after GB eats up over 4:00.

Moving on...

7. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

I'm a fan of neither. I call it as I see it. ****** rule, correctly applied.

8. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Agreed.

Missed at least one touchdown for the raiders this year due to the same rule.

9. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

I'm no football scholar, but it seemed pretty clear to me to that was a catch. Karma for last week? Maybe, but it is what it is. Regardless, we had 59 other minutes of the game to make plays and we just didn't get it done. We still had a great season.

10. Bob Longo

Bob Longo Gold Supporting Member

Clearly incomplete, as stated by the rules. If you want to get pissed off check out the Calvin Johnson play that this rule was made after.

No doubt the ball hit the ground and popped loose before the act of the catch was completed.

Now, if I was a ref I would've call Dez on entering the playing field without a helmet once again without his helmet on. I don't know who this guy thinks he is?

11. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

And I don't live & breathe football or Packers- I thought it looked good until I saw the ball moving as he came down, then pop out when it hit the ground.

12. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

I meant before he came down, although I saw the clip again this morning and he came down earlier tan I had thought. I still think it was incolplete because the ball hit the ground and I don't believe he had it in his control.

13. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

He's passionate. Not necessarily a bad thing, NFL rules be damned.

14. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Another stupid rule that should be abolished, particularly if they're not going to enforce it. I'm talking about the "taking the helmet off" rule, which is silly and has no logical basis. OTOH, the rule about not going on to the field makes sense and should be strictly enforced.

15. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Bryant made an amazing catch

16. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

Yeah you're right. Just get rid of all the rules. Who needs 'em anyways?

17. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Rules are made to be broken ya know

18. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

How about another question about NFL refs. Why is it so hard to spot the ball at the end of a play? It amazes me that they can miss the spot by a yard or 2.

19. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

The speed of play. They're trying to take a mental snapshot of where the ball was at the instant the player was touched down, when the player is moving at full speed and there are bodies flying everywhere. Sometimes they don't see it accurately, sometimes they don't remember it accurately, sometimes their view is obscured. I think it's no surprise that they mess it up. Making this reviewable was one of the smartest things the NFL has done recently...too easy to screw it up in real time.

20. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

That is a good explanation. I suppose the fact that the refs can't keep up with the speed of the players adds to it.