Damage Control - anybody try 'em?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dana Olsen, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Anybody try these Damage Control pedals? I went by their booth at NAMM - the pedals sounded GREAT to me.

They're pretty big - as big as the Line 6 pedals, and similar with some of the features (multi memory that's footswitch selectable).

List price around $500, I believe.

They sure sounded good to me. I didn't get to play through one - every time I went by they were demoing for a retail or wholesale type customer, and I didn't get a chance to play one.

Anybody here have any of 'em? They're at www.damagecontrolusa.com

Dana

2. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Haven't heard of them until now, but I might check 'em out. Always up for new pedals! :)

3. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

Here's one of their newer offerings, anyone heard it?

[​IMG]

4. Electric I

Electric I Member

Yeah, I believe they're coming out with lower cost versions.

And if memory serves, the clips I heard of the 'Demonizer' awhile back sounded like Ass-In-A-Box™

5. musictoyz.com

musictoyz.com Member

They just lowered the price on all the pedals to $299 for the ones that where out...the new ones will be $199 and be out in April....I have been waiting for the delay pedals price unknown yet...and they will be out in May...

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I thought those pedals sounded really good at NAMM. They seemed like a powerful tool, not cheesy, in the Line 6 (sorry fellas - I really appreciate the Line 6 R&D people, especially on price and features, and they're getting closer every day ....).

I hope to play through some pretty dang soon here.

Plus, Lucian is a cool guy.

Dana

7. Electric I

Electric I Member

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate innovation in tech as well, just that the initial price point seemed *way* outta whack for what they sounded like. More flash than substance.

Most likely the new line has been further tweaked & with the new lower price tag, they're a much better deal.

8. danbomb

danbomb Member

I use the Demonizer direct and the Womanizer in front of amps. The most shocking thing about the Demonizer is the ability to get very convincing medium gain tones. I am going to the rehearsal studio tonight and will go direct to the PA! It sure beats the hell out of dragging a halfstack around.

9. clayville

clayville Member

I've been using a Womanizer as my primary tone generator for home studio recording over backing tracks for about six months now. I have two small kids, so the Direct Out recording option with real tube bloom for mostly blues playing is what caught my attention. Before this I was using a PodXT. I'm very impressed, and very happy with what it will do, far more tube amp-like than any tone I could get out of the Pod, but obviously not as versatile if you're looking to replace a huge pedal board or an entire amp collection. There is no way to save presets (very pedal-like in that regard), but it does have a few onboard effects: a very good overdrive, two different e.q. stages, a 14 db boost button and the exceptionally useful opto-compression.

For me, I find myself using about 85%-90% of its range of tone -- it's very much like having, say, a silent Princeton Reverb around the house. It does a great warm clean, and a darn good mild-to-slightly wild overdrive for blues/blues rock. Higher gain seekers should look at the demonizer instead.

Here are a few examples:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=239050&songID=3673785
    That's a stock Nashville tele recorded direct. Reverb and delay added in ProTools.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=239050&songID=3668788
    That's a couple of layers of a Gibson CS-356. Again, reverb from ProTools.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=239050&songID=3652919
    That one has sort of a 'woman tone' thing going on just by twisting the e.q. knobs on the Womanizer. CS-356

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=239050&songID=3612807
    I recorded that one too hot, so its a tad farty sounding, but gives you an idea of the dynamic range. CS-356 again.

Just about everything here from the last six months used it:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=239050

'Hope that helps. I really think these are a great solution for direct recording.