Damage Control Timeline anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Datsyuk, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

You don't hear too much about this unit. The things I have heard were fairly positive. I'm also finding that just about everyone is out of stock which may or may not be a bad sign. I've been seriously starting to research the Eventide Timefactor and I would be really interested if anyone has had the opportunity to try both delays and know what you think. The few clips posted of the Timeline in action sound pretty decent but it's frustrating when there are no local retailers that carry the gear that you are interested in.

2. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I know there are some here that have owned both at the same time. From what I have heard, the Timeline pulls off the analog stuff better. But the TimeFactor is more functional (presets, lcd screen, tap tempo, upgradeability), plus the Timeline is freaking huge and ugly.

I'm sure someone will chime in with personal experience.

3. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

Man, you're not kidding about huge and ugly!!

4. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

It is the BEST sounding digital delay I've owned, and I've gone through most(dd-20, timefactor, nova, dl4, replica, etc). However, it is not layed out very well. It's pretty simple to dial in, but if you're using presets you can't use tap tempo as well(unless you add a separate midi controller which just takes up more space). Plus it would have been nice to have a digital screen to tell me where my settings were for later reference. I ended up getting rid of mine for both space and functionality. I miss how it sounds pretty often, but you can get things that sound close and are far more well thought out. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you just want a simple dial in with tap tempo and don't intend on using the presets or care about the space it takes up. The main reason I sold mine is that I went from a pedaltrain pro to a pedaltrain jr and just didn't have the space for it.

5. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

Thanks for the excellent overview! I'm a little stunned by the concept of not being able to use tap tempo with a preset. That's a major drag. If you don't mind, how would compare the Timeline to Timefactor in terms of tonal quality, was one noiser than the other and which unit was best at preserving the dry signal when bypassed?

6. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I've owned the Timeline and the Timefactor, and kept the Timeline. Both are fantastic pedals, but IMHO, the Timeline is one of the best sounding delays I've ever heard, and was also quieter in my rig. But here's what I found in both delays:

Timefactor

Pros:

--delayed sounds were incredibly good. High dollar rackmount quality. Really good stuff.
    --if you added a tap tempo pedal, the functionality was near perfect
    --the ability to have two independent delays in one pedal
    --the ability to download software updates directly into the pedal
    --really cool digitally computer type delay sounds I have not heard from any other pedal

Cons:

--really needed an external tap tempo pedal to get the most out of the presets
    --you can't (at least on version 1) cycle down through the presets, only up
    --the conversion of your dry signal to digital and then back to analog. Really sucked tone, dynamics, and sustain out of my rig. And I tried all 3 bypass settings. I finally stuck it in a bypass looper so my tone could be without its suckage when I wasn't using it. But as soon as I turned on the bypass loop to use the Timefactor, the difference in my dry signal was, in my humble opinion, unusable.

That was the deal-breaker for me on the Timefactor.....the conversion of my dry signal in and out of use. Now, for what it's worth, most people don't seem to notice this issue. So it's possible that it just reacted weird in my rig, or that I'm hearing things. ;) I admit to not always having the best ear.

Timeline

Pros:

--hands down the best sounding delay I've heard. Picture the T-Rex Replica type depth in the repeats, but with the ability to add modulation, and to make it more digital sounding if you like, or completely dirty analog sounding if you like
    --leaves your dry signal completely untouched
    --no noticeable difference in tone when bypassed, but still allows for delay spillover
    --hook up a midi pedal, and you can access 128 presets. I program my whole setlist into mine (I play Brit rock and ambient stuff....very heavy on delay sounds)

Cons:

--You really need an external midi pedal to use the presets properly. But with access to 128 presets, for me it's worth it. For others, maybe not so much.
    --Big. I mean, really big. You gotta decide whether the tone is worth that to you
    --Ugly at first, but you grow to like the look of it......maybe
    --For some odd reason, the design team decided to put a huge led in the center which they call the 'magic eye' instead of a bpm readout.

Those are my humble findings. Hope that helps.

7. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

That was an awesome comparison / overview! Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such a detailed answer! Interestingly enough you've just made my decision much tougher. I've been really into a lot of the ethereal ambient tones that I have heard from the Timefactor via clips. That said, the majority of my delay are subtle thickening effects used to play jazz, blues fusion and rock type material. I like thickening delays that can be left on most of the time. Well the research continues.
    Thanks everyone!

8. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

great posts here. i love my timefactor and found it usable in my rig--but i can't deny that it will change your signal to a slight degree. ive moved it to my synth rig and it is truly amazing for that but I doubt it'll be making it back into my main guitar setup. i've been one of its biggest supporters though, and still am... but 'dem be the facts.

Maybe the Timeline is the right replacement for it as i really need tap tempo delay in addition to my DMM but I'm still on the fence. I think its down to this or the Superdelay though. Or hell maybe I'll be frugal for once and pick up a hardwire dl-8 & a tap for it. seems like it packs a nice punch for the price. 'Cause the TL really is damned ugly. doh.

9. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

I'm starting to wonder if Damage Control is having problems financially or with the manufacturing of it's products. The majority of online retailers that I have checked out are showing just about all of their products as out of stock. Does anyone know if there are different versions of the Timeline. On the Damage Control site, there are a few clips with one saying NEW Reverse. I'm wondering if the reverse feature is new or if only the clip is new. Would a used unit be the same as one purchased brand new? I have a hard time getting the clips there to load properly. In general considering that I am hearing some very good things about this product it is rather disppointing that there are such few sound demos led alone video demos of what this pedal sounds like and what it can do. If anyone can direct me to additional sound clips of the Timeline that would be great.

10. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

11. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I don't think there have been different versions, but I could be wrong. From what I remember, they used to not have a soundclip of the reverse delay setting, so I think that's what the 'new' on their site refers to. Oh, ya, and Lou V's soundclips are very good! There's also some on youtube.

12. scottl

scottl Member

I love the fact it does not convert your dry signal to digital. That echoes (lol) my favorite feature of the greatest delay ever.... The TC2290!!!

I love my TC2290 but if I ever get a pedal, it will probably be something like the Timeline because they care about tone. Anyone who designs a pedal and converts the dry, is not building a premium product. Sorry.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  13. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

Thanks everyone, the Timeline was right off my radar however I now have some more research to do and tough decisions to make. Your feedback has been invaluable! Thanks Bill

14. Franktone

Franktone Member

The comments made by guys like WilliamH and Passenger84 caused me to buy a Timeline six months ago, and I won't part with mine now. I also have a midi mouse if I need it. Most I just like twiddling the controls to see what else I can get out of it. This is my favourite effect I have, and I have a nice array of effects piled up including a Blackbox delay that I also love, but the Timeline is still my favourite because of its sound, flexibility, and its ability to be able to be fine tuned easily with the control parameters.

15. peridot1

peridot1 Member

Reading this thread made up my mind. I'll get the timeline. There's still some at MF. Not new to damage control pedals since I have a few including the nexus. If it's true this pedal has better tone than the timefactor talk about a pedal that fell way waayy under the rader.

We'll see cause I'll get this and I can demo the timefactor at GC. Just very curious.

16. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

how big is this thing? dimensions?

17. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member

Does the Timeline work well at line levels. I ALWAYS use delay in my effects loops so it will sound good with high gain.

And WHY is almost ever demo for a delay pedal used with a clean tone? :FM

18. Franktone

Franktone Member

Orogeny, I just pulled out my Timeline and it measures 9 in long by 7.25 in wide by 3.25 in high (to the top of the controls). Danyeod, putting a distorition pedal in front of the Timeline is probably the best way to go. Running a delay in front of an amplifier with the gain turned is not the best situation for any delay pedal to sound its best. I would imagine that the Timeline would do better than most other pedals in front of an amp with the gain turned up though, because of the pedals thickness to begin with and its excellent tube buffers. To use the timeline with the gain of the amp turned up, it would be better to put the Timeline into the post gain loop, if your amp has one. A very interesting feature of the Timeline are that it has three controls that enable you to tailor the degree of degraduation and distortion in the repeats. Those controls are: filter and smear, which both serve to take the edge off of the repeats to give you a more analog type of sound, and the grit control that can gradually introduce more and more distortion into the repeats. With the grit turned up, you can create a sound like a second guitarist following you with a distorted guitar, while your guitar is clean. An interesting way to do this is to put the volume of the repeats slightly louder than the dry sound and you wind up with an effect very similar that was heard on BTO (Bachman Turner Overdrive) on the solo for the song Blue Collar. This sounds really good. And just think, back then when they did this on the album, it was strictly a studio possibility. I don't know about how it works at line levels, since I have only used it with my RI Bassman, and old Marshall 50 2x12 combo.

19. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I've used my Timeline direct into the board with acoustic guitars, and it was quite surprisingly beautiful. No noise. Havne't tried line with electric, though. And with a cranked amp, the Timeline will hold it's own. I have some demos of the pedal on my blog, but unfortunately, I did not use gainy tones. Sorry!

20. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

It's a great pedal - incredibly quiet, musical, versatile.
    Yup - big. Plus it runs at 1500 (!) mA due to the tubes - too much for any power supply (PedalPower, Burkey, etc.). You need to use the supplied wall wart.
    Hard to dial out some mild modulation on some delay sounds too...
    Much better at the more atmospheric/textural washes of sound than most pedal delays...
    It works great at line-level in an fx loop... Equally cool through the front end of an amp, nice in stereo if of use.