Damaged guitar and UPS. *Update thanks TGP*

Austin_Taunt

Don’t tell my wife I’m buying another guitar
Silver Supporting Member
Did a trade with a fellow TGP member and received a guitar shipped from Maryland to my local store in Indiana. They let the guitar acclimate for 5hrs and when I opened the case the body was full of finish checking. The other member, who has been super awesome, was on the phone immediately with UPS and started the claim process. UPS wants to pick the guitar up but I’m likely going to refuse until some sort of resolution is worked out first. Not really comfortable with my only asset in the trade leaving my possession. Pics below. I would appreciate any advice from fellow members about what we CAN do from here instead of what we should have done. Would really like to focus on a solution instead of hindsight.

Last edited:

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
I highly doubt UPS will do anything about a checked finish. While I haven't read their small print, it would be very difficult for them to maintain a constant temperature of all their packages.

However, in my experience, the shipper has to file a claim as they are the one who paid for the fees. Then they will fight you every step of the way. Then there's the difference between "declared value" & "insurance" and they don't sell insurance. So a lot of grey areas.

Best to have outside insurance like Heritage.

Good luck.

Bassopotamus

UPS Insurance is a crock. The damaged an antique I had shipped years ago and basically, once they acknowledged the issue, the only option is that they would take the item and pay the insured amount. No repairs, no compensation for value. I’m sure they put it on eBay in the end

Parlorman

Gold Supporting Member
I would be amazed if UPS (or any of the package delivery services for that matter) paid for damage that was not due to mishandling. They are not offering temperature controlled service.

Your only hope may be if the shipper is a huge UPS customer in which case they may pay the claim to keep the customer happy.

Good luck with this one.

Bertiman

Sorry ‘bout the grief... Unfortunately, I don’t see UPS doing anything. The guitar was shipped in winter. It doesn’t sound like any physical damage occurred by the shippers. Hopefully you have insurance like heritage. If not, it’s kinda up to you and the seller to come to terms, if possible.

DustyRhodesJr

Silver Supporting Member
UPS won't do anything about finish checking.

If you read the fine print on their declared value form, it says so right there.

When you think about it, they would go broke because none of the ground trucks have heat or a/c in the cargo area.

Guitarworks

OP, I think you're SOL unfortunately. UPS will not concede they did anything wrong, which it didn't.

If it was me buying that telecaster, I would just keep it and enjoy it as a daily driver guitar. It's the nature of nitro. If it had been finished in polyurethane, this wouldn't be an issue. But as it stands, the guitar is now aged. In 10 years, that'll look cool on that guitar, IMO.

Austin_Taunt

Silver Supporting Member
My plan is to talk to UPS just to be thorough. I’m completely ok with living with this. Most of the cracks have disappeared but they will surely come back.

I will say the other member in this trade has been outstanding. He had UPS on the phone in minutes and just offered to pitch in on repairing it. This is why I like to deal mainly with TGP on high dollar guitars and amps. I absolutely love this community and it’s high character members. Solid advice and always solid deals every time. Much appreciation to everyone!!

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
Anytime I’ve purchased a nitro finished guitar during the winter I’ve let it acclimate at the very least 12 hours of not more before opening the case. UPS has mishandled many a guitar but in this particular case this doesn’t seem to be their fault. Or anyone’s for that matter. Nitro checks easily.

Bassopotamus

I think compressed air will do it too
I live in Iowa and a couple years ago, I tried to do it by getting my bathroom really hot and sitting it out for an hour on my three season porch. Then bring it straight to the bathroom. No dice. I may have to try the compressed air thing

Austin_Taunt

Silver Supporting Member
Sucks, but (and I cant believe I'm saying these words) but UPS isn't at fault here. Hope you guys can work something out where you both are happy.
I’m in agreement. Already told the other member I consider his end good. The crazy thing is this is nothing compared to my other pieces of gear I’ve had broken at gigs. I can live with finish checking. It would have happened eventually and in 10yrs will probably look awesome. I had gotten the guitar bc it was pretty but now I get to play it!!! Heck yeah bc it’s a gorgeous guitar.

Trending Topics