Damn I love playing drums

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cantstoplt021, Mar 28, 2015.

1. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

I've been playing drums for around 9 months now, but only the last 3 ish have been serious and I'm really starting to love them. Not that I'm good yet, but I'm past the basic coordination challenges and am able to play at blues jams and I also have my first gig in a week.

These things are a blast. It's nice to not worry about chords and scales and keys and soloing and all that stuff. You just sit and play the kit and try to add to the song and keep it going, a lot more to it I know. As a really rhythmically orientated person this could be the ideal instrument for me. It's starting to seem like I want to get really good at drums vs guitar. I've seen a bunch of good guitarists lately (Eric Krasno, Derek Trucks, John Mayer) and it's been the drummer that's stood out in all of those bands. At any rate I'm excited to get better and better. It'll certainly open up more gig opportunities for me in the future.

2. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I got a set about a year ago and I'm having a blast. I started on drums younger than guitar but never gained then technique and experience I did on guitar. I've played more drums over the last year than I have guitar and ironically played more "live" guitar than I have in a long time.[​IMG] A decent form of exercise as well.

3. ieso

ieso Member

Me too. I always wanted a kit but only later in life did I have a situation where I felt like I could use it. I got a kit about 7 or 8 years ago, used it sporadically, but have since moved it into a new studio space and am taking a more systematic approach to learning rather than just chimpping around on like I have in the past.

4. Phil Harmoneeek

Phil Harmoneeek Member

Good drumming always makes the band ... great drumming will lead a guitar players ear toward that great drummer (while watching, not while playing with) ... but poor drumming, & no matter how talented the rest are, they will suck. Drummers are the most important member IMHO ... here's hoping you enjoy your new endeavour ... but concentrate on being solid/good, before all the fills, etc.

Randall

5. GuitarGuy3

GuitarGuy3 Member

A really good drummer can make a good band great. The drummer is the conductor of the band. My band has a really good drummer and we've used subs a few times. Talk about an eye opener. IMO, there is no question about the above comments. And I agree about the being solid. I'll take a solid time keeper over fancy fills any day!

6. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

Fair enough it was actually a surprise gig for me. I've jammed with these kids twice and then out of the blue they say we have a gig in a week and a half can you play? Sure I can. I'm really not content with my drumming. I want to be good and I'm trying to practice 2 hours a day. I also am not about fancy fills and all that. My favorite drummers are Steve Jordan and J.J. Johnson. They're all about the groove. You're don't going to hear them doing a double bass fill in 15 on a blues. They play for the song. That's what I'm about. I've actually been complimented on my sense of time a bunch by people I play with. I love that compliment since keeping the groove is all what I'm about.

7. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

is this a troll thing?

I disagree

8. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

Fair enough it was actually a surprise gig for me. I've jammed with these kids twice and then out of the blue they say we have a gig in a week and a half can you play? Sure I can. I'm really not content with my drumming. I want to be good and I'm trying to practice 2 hours a day. I also am not about fancy fills and all that. My favorite drummers are Steve Jordan, J.J. Johnson and Allen Evans. They're all about the groove. You're not going to hear them doing a double bass fill in 15 on a blues. They play for the song. That's what I'm about. I've actually been complimented on my sense of time a bunch by people I play with. I love that compliment since keeping the groove is all what I'm about. I do work with a metronome religiously so that's helped me a bunch.

9. Hack Prophet

In the area I live in there are probably four or five thousand guitarists and a dozen drummers.

10. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

I'd rather hear a band with a great drummer than a great guitarist.

11. Hack Prophet

you have a weird internet style I don't understand

however point is inexperienced drummers are getting gigs (being HIRED btw) because the public needs drummers. And if you can't find a way to make the best music possible with the selection of drummers you're given, that's on you. Look at the White Stripes

12. Hack Prophet

I agree that a truly great drummer is hard to find, especially considering the available pool in any given place. And I get the point about drum machines. I think one of the biggest problems is that a lot of drummers (that I've encountered anyway) are more focused on their chops than they are at keeping rock solid time, not realizing that good time IS good chops, period. Even some of the better ones speed up after fills or incrementally slow down depending on the style of song. However, this same syndrome can be observed in guitarists just as easily.

IMO if you can't keep solid time, your chops are meaningless. I'd take a drummer that plays nothing but kick hi hat and snare in the exact same pattern in time throughout a whole song (which I realize is what a drum machine basically does) over the guy with mad flash who loses the downbeat constantly.

13. uberdave

uberdave Supporting Member

As a musician my favorite band mates are the good drummers.
    Especially the ones who can play music with a sense of dynamics.
    Now that's fun. Good luck on the drums!

14. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Not really.... a great drummer can really make a band sound great even with so so guitar players. A crappy drummer can make a band sound crappy, even with stellar guitar playing :red That's just the way it is. I play both guitar and drums (not at the same time) :) and drumming is the more complex of the two. Playing less is more on the drums ... it's all about solid timing.

Good luck OP. Play along with songs, play with click tracks, get your timing solid, don't over play.... be careful not to speed up during fills, or singing - that is a really common thing early on.

15. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

Obviously you've had bad experiences with drummers,...or I should say you've played with bad drummers. This is quite common for the vast majority of hacky, local bands.

The point people are making, that you're wrongly disagreeing with, is that a really good drummer will indeed make a band exponentially better. Especially when playing live. In really good, pro, touring bands the drummer a lot of the time is the best musician in the band.

Ha -- sure, plenty of songs were written with clicks or drum machines,...so what. That doesn't invalidate having a good quality drummer, especially in a traditional rock band format.

16. MSS

MSS Member

I started out on drums and became very proficient in my teens. Learned guitar because it's really hard to write songs on drums!! Love playing the guitar and still consider myself a guitar-player nowadays but two years ago I traded a couple of guitars for a roland v-drum kit and haven't looked back. It all came back within a month (chops) and it is a lot of fun and compliments my guitar playing.

17. drewl

drewl Member

They sure are fun!
    I've played drums in bands but am foremost a guitarist, if I had been playing drums as much as guitar I believe I would be pretty decent.
    I take to them well and have been lucky to play with some fantastic drummers who taught me stuff.
    The wife has me set up the kit in the winter for something to do. My son and his friends love to bang on them.
    They're still set up, so I've been pounding away for the past few months!

18. bgood

bgood Member

Bought a kit in December and started teaching myself. Since then have started weekly lessons and 60-90 minutes a day of practice. Having a lot of fun. I never worked this hard on my guitar playing or took any real lessons - which is certainly why it took me 10 years to be a decent player. My teacher is pretty old school. He is a pro with years of teaching and playing/recording under his belt - jazz, big band, rock, funk. Stick control, reading, rudiments etc. It's nice to be getting instruction.

There is no way I'd consider any open mic or gig at this point.

19. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

I agree that great drumming makes a band and a song. It's really the only instrument that can't mess up in band. Every other instrument can flub it and no one will really notice. The drums drop the beat.... everyone will notice...