Damn. Wish I had money to jump on one of these!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluegrif, Dec 22, 2009.

1. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370310028351&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123#ht_500wt_1182

I've wanted an original for years. I owned a 60s Coronet that was stolen out of the band house back in the early 70s. Bought it on layaway, a few bucks at a time until I got it out. Never got to play it on stage. I should have bought another when they were affordable. Now the only ones that are even remotely affordable are the mid-60s models with the really skinny necks. A Wilshire'd be even better. I'm still pretty wary of Gibson's QC (yes, I've had some experiences. Even with Custom Shop stuff). But at this price I'd be willing to give it a shot with this one. Oh well, horrible timing.

2. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Oh man, that's a cool guitar. Always wanted and Epi Wilshire.

3. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Yeah, and they're $2900 at most dealers. I realize this auction has over 7 hours to go. But in this economy, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it went for the starting bid or not much more. Or it not at all. I just keep reminding myself there'll be other opportunities.

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

We had a pawn shop here that had a 60s one for around $500 IIRC. It had some issues, but could have been put back to original pretty easily.

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

i think that's the thing that's hurting this wilshire reissue - the vintage ones are around for that price, and there are tons of new cheaper ones called wilshire.

6. DZfishtech

DZfishtech Member

My very first guitar was I think that same model except it was black with a white pickguard, had chrome humbuckers and a maple fretboard, layout was identical to that one, Bought in 1975, used, for $100.00. But it was not a good guitar per say, could not have gigged with it. Never could find out what model it was, it just said Epiphone on the head stock and had the "E" logo in the pickguard so the E was black surounded by a field of white. Would any of you know for sure what model epi that was based on my description and the picture?

7. pulverizer

pulverizer Member

Man those are cool looking.....

8. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

That sounds like one of the 70s models made in Japan. Not really in the same league as the earlier Kalamazoo models, which were the same quality as the Gibsons of the time. The 70s was when Gibson first began relegating Epiphone to budget import status. Before that they were made right along side every other Gibson and were every bit as good. The early Wilshires had P90s and the later models had mini humbuckers. All were solid mahogany set necks and none had full sized buckers. None had maple fretboards. They had the Brazilian rosewood used on all Gibsons.

Don't know about the one seen for cheap at a pawn shop, but if you don't know your Epiphones, it could have easily been one of the not very valuable Japanese models, or even a recent Korean or Chinese one. Most pawnshop owners now days are savvy enough to look up the value on vintage guitars. Epi Wilshires from the early to mid 60s go for $3500 and up.

9. DZfishtech

DZfishtech Member

It was Bought used in 75, and I do think it was MIJ. wasn't at a pawn shop and certainly not recent. Don't recall if the neck was set or not, I think it was bolt on though. I was just curious if anyone would know what model it actually was. Haven't had the guitar for nearly 30 years.