Damn you, behringer!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by colonoscopotamus, Jan 25, 2015.

1. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

I had occasion to try the behringer vibrato and vintage phaser pedals.
    Compared to my Russian small stone, the vintage phaser is every bit as chewy , and honestly easier to dial in and get a good sound out of.
    The vibrato compared to a boss vb-2 ... Oh wait, I can't make this comparison, because the boss goes for stupid money. But the behringer does a fantastic slow warble, which is all I use vibrato for - best, easiest to dial in "slightly warped tape" sound I've come across.
    I'm not a modulation junkie, but I've certainly tried other, more expensive pedals that do both of these things, and found the behringers stack up very well. Maybe I just don't use either of these effects enough to ever feel like I'm justified in spending over (or even close to) $100 on one, and the price of the behringers is causing some sort of weird psychological effect that makes me think they sound and feel better than they actually do. But I swear, I've never come across an example of either effect that I could so quickly dial in to the point where I say "yep, that's what that effect is supposed to sound like."
    Are they cheaply made and poorly bypassed? Yes and probably. Does keeping them on a board in a case and just using a loop switcher fix both those problems? Absolutely.
    Which brings me to the title of the thread. If behringer would just charge ~$100 a piece for these, I would have tried them a long time ago and saved myself the hassle and expense of revolving -dooring a bunch of other examples that never really could do what I wanted at a price I was ok with.
    But nooooooo, they've gotta charge , like, $20, and set off the "cheap piece of crap" alarm in my lizard brain.
    Damn you behringer.

2. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Feel the same way about the Echo Machine. Very versatile vintage sounding delay but crap when bypassed. But a great 'throw it in a bag don't worry about it getting stolen' practice pedal.

3. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

Man, I was about to pull the trigger on the echo machine (tired of waiting for musicians friends backordered hardwire dl-8s to come in), but then just saw the digitech digidelay as their stupid deal for $40.
    Iva actually tried their analog delay before - it doesn't have gobs of headroom, but it definitely does the dark a nd dirty repeats thing pretty well.

4. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Supporting Member

Behringer actually makes some good sounding stuff. I've use an Ultra-G for quite some time and the damn thing is bulletproof and sounds as good as anything else I've tried. Oh, and I've put it up against some very expensive DI cab sims. The thing cost me $30. Win. Honestly, I like the Behringer Amp modelers better than the Line 6 equivalents.

5. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

I've owned a Behringer mixer console with effects (for summing up a mini chaos of instruments onstage and in rehearsals) and a tube preamp & DI, and tried some more. I was pleasantly surprised. I haven't tried any of their pedals, but I was just wondering: if their bypass is indeed bad (even with a nice buffer in the front), how much would it cost for Behringer to add a simple true bypass switch? How much would their price go up? Wouldn't that be a simple upgrade that would bring them an even bigger share of the market?

6. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

To be fair, it is my lizard-brain-cheap-alarm telling me that the bypass is bad - I haven't actually tested it as, like I implied above, I've got the pedals in a bypass looper. When I get home, I'll put the behringers into bypass, then switch them in and out of the chain and see if I can discern a difference.

7. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

If you have a buffer (or a spare Boss pedal that you can leave at off), I would be curious to see what happens with that in the front! Thanks.