Dan and Mick owe me $400...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bkb1984, Jan 22, 2020.

1. bkb1984

bkb1984 Supporting Member

I’m usually able to resist YouTube demos, but dang....the Vemuram Shanks ODS-1 clips from yesterday had me in cold sweats all night. I finally gave in this morning about 9:30. Anyone else using the ODS-1? Sounded like it fixes all the things I hate about a typical TS circuit.

2. Lamby

Lamby Member

I saw the show and while it's not something I'm interested in buying, I thought it sounded pretty good. They were obviously very impressed with it. It's based on the Nobels odr-1, I believe?

3. nasonm

nasonm Member

They always win the end. I watched, rewatched, and rerewatched their episode on vibrato pedals before eventually buying a Bigfoot FX Magnavibe

4. Calvin Sattler

Calvin Sattler Member

I wonder why vemuram’s pedals are all so spendy

5. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

See post #1. People seemingly buy them for that price.

MIM#1, saltbird, UrbanHymns and 16 others like this.
  6. smellytele

smellytele Supporting Member

Can't lie, that vid has me thinking about that pedal as well. Looking forward to hearing your review on it.

7. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Also don't confuse this for me understanding why people buy them for that price.

8. Calvin Sattler

Calvin Sattler Member

I am so close to buying a plumes just so I can have a point of reference price-wise

metrokosmiko, saltbird and ford like this.
  9. bbsomm

bbsomm Supporting Member

I actually fast forward past that past that part cause I just convinced myself that I was done buy overdrives for awhile

10. Teleman76

Teleman76 Tubes-a-glowin Silver Supporting Member

I bought the Shanks ODS-1 when it came out. No regrets at all. Huge fan of the original Nobels and this is that and more. The clarity in the top end, which Vemuram is famous for, makes this stellar to me. Have yet to find that style of “Nashville favorite” done any better.
    I do have a Nordland ODR-C on order. Really anxious to try it against the Shanks.

Kai T., A440, Datsyuk and 1 other person like this.
  11. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

Dan & Mick have cost me a few bucks.
    Not anywhere near as much as Pete Thorn though.

12. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I'd buy a Nobels. There is a reason it and not boutique clones are on nearly every pedalboard in Nashville.

Datsyuk, UrbanHymns, 120db and 8 others like this.
  13. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

I dunno. There's a reason why there are more Hondas than Aston Martins on the road, too.

14. Wagster

Wagster Supporting Member

I built the Aion Andromeda which has a bass cut knob. I really like the Andromeda but the ODS-1 does sounds incredible, like a brighter version of the ODR-1.

therhodeo likes this.
  15. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Mod Squad Staff Member

I d
    I was able to demo the new Noble's OD-1 2020 (Bass Cut switch, 9v or 18v operation and GITD Knobs) at NAMM. It sounded pretty dang amazing in 18v with Humbuckers now. But I also have a Vemuram Jan Ray and TSV-808....so there's that:)

T92780 and Teleman76 like this.
  16. bkb1984

bkb1984 Supporting Member

Hahah....I can’t explain it either. I have it and a Two Rock Studio Signature coming in tomorrow....I’ll review both.

17. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Not a great comparison since I'm specifically talking about the equivalent of formula 1 drivers and not average commuters.

18. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

Nashville guitar players are legally required to play at least 500 metres from each other at all times, so as not to trigger an earthquake.

19. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

You're saying there's a reason why F1 drivers would drive Hondas?

My point was that Hondas are Nobels—an old, inexpensive standard. The Vemurams are the expensive exotics. A Nobels is going to get the job done and be reliable. The Vemuram is going to be more beautiful, more finely-tuned, and a bigger thrill. But people buy the staples because they're a known quantity, don't represent a huge investment, because 'the next guy' has one, they're easy to acquire, and because they can have five of 'em. And that's a phenomenal comparison.

Bighump, HeavyCream and Glitch Magnet like this.
  20. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

That intro got to me, too. I almost bought a Nobels last month, but sorta hoped something from NAMM would move me a bit more. I'm now glad i waited, as the new BC version might address the longstanding complaint of the ODR-1. Wish i could justify the Vemuram, though. As much as it is said that cost doesn't equal betterness, there's something about the Vemurams i tend to like a lot. It's possible it's that the people doing the demos just take them more seriously and represent them better, but i think there's something more to it.