Dan Armstrong Lucite Plexi Guitar Price

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fenderbender4, Feb 23, 2015.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Does anyone know what an original armstrong plexi guitar goes for today? I guess that depends on pickups etc. but saying a "generally good condition i.e. no repairs" one goes for?

2. serial

serial Member

Ones with unbroken or uncracked pickguards, all original parts and original case will do better-more if it has extra pickups, paper, etc. I'd say $3k and up for all original example w/o cracked/broken guard and case and extras. Very few of the ones FS have case or have changed parts. If you want a player with a swapped bridge, replaced guard, etc, you'll find some for under $2k. Original cases were the same as used for the basses, but few of those show up with original cases either. Last case I saw SELL on eBay went for over $400, which was more than I wanted to spend. I've only seen the original cases sold separately twice in the last decade.

And contrary to what every Tom, Dick and Harry claims on the internet-they AREN'T that heavy. They weigh less than most 70s Strats and LPs and about the same as a standard LPC. VERY cool guitars.

No affiliation whatsoever, but there's one on eBay now that has extra pickups and case at a low price. Lower than I've seen for an early one w/case and extra pickups.

3. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

Kinda off topic, but does anyone know how the reissue DA's compare with the original DA's? Thanks!

4. serial

serial Member

The pickups in the originals sound better. The reissues' bodies are pretty close as far as I can tell. The reissues' bridges also have saddles. The originals 'feel' better to me. It's a USA original vs. overseas import thing. Oddly enough, the original basses can be had for pretty much what the reissues go for. No comparison to me-I'll take an original.

5. BKL71

BKL71 Member

Is it true that the original pickups will work in a reissue? I see original pickups for sale on eBay from time to time, but I have yet to see any reissue pickups. I do know that Kent Armstrong built the reissue pickups, so if I need one, I guess I could contact him. I am curious to try one of the originals though.

6. serial

serial Member

Original pickups are pricey. On eBay, they go fast and for $200 or more a pop when they show up. There's (only) one there now and the ask is $695.

Lots of newer pickups on there though.