Dan Auerbach new pedal board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Young Dad, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Young Dad

Young Dad Supporting Member

Im a big fan of the black keys. I was checking out some songs from their set at SXSW and I noticed Dan had a totally different set up then before. Maybe I shouldn't say totally as it looks like basically the same types of pedals but now it looks like he's using some sort of switching system and throwing in a lot more delay then before.

Heres a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS61yjTXIJY

Anyone have any pics of this new setup or know anything about that type of switching system? I know his setup is constantly changing but this is different then his usual fuzz>trem>delay> tuner setup.

2. ZepFuzz05

ZepFuzz05 Supporting Member

It looks like a pretty standard setup for him, just with it all contained in a Loopmaster-style True Bypass strip. Here's something akin to what he's using:

http://www.loop-master.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=113

As for the delay, he's always used the Line6 Echo Park and it looks like he's just tossed in an Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport delay in for variety. As for the rest it's the usual Green Russian Muff (two of them in that performance), and a couple boss pedals (I know he loves both the BD-2 and the TR-2 tremolo), and a Goodrich volume pedal, if I'm not mistaken.

3. Young Dad

Young Dad Supporting Member

oh ok.

I have about 12 pedals that I like to have on my board but I am never happy with the way they wound all connected together. Maybe I could get one of these switches and it would avoid tone loss? never thought of that before for some reason.

4. ZepFuzz05

[​IMG]

I grabbed a second of that vid that looked decent and thought I'd try to break his setup down. From all appearances, it seems like his pedals are the following, from left to right:

Goodrich Volume pedal
    Boss TU-2 Tuner
    Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
    Vintage EHX Big Muff #1
    Vintage EHX Big Muff #2
    Line6 Echo Park
    Earthquaker Devices Distaster Transport Delay

And it looks like it's all contained in a Loopmaster 6-7 loop True Bypass strip.

5. ZepFuzz05

That could definitely work, although make sure you leave a buffered pedal in line towards the beginning to prevent cable capacitance from also sucking away your sound.

6. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I see the 2 Green Russian Muffs and the other pedals mentioned clearly and that is definitely a lop bypass strip. You could try PM'ing his tech/Earthquaker Devices guru, Jamie Stillman. He posts here at TGP as Bob Loblaw.

7. coolhand78

coolhand78 Member

bump to see if anyone has any info or pics of Dan's current pedalboard for the Brothers tour??

8. stratguy23

stratguy23 Supporting Member

Love the Black Keys and his tone. They are a super underrated band.

9. BrianK

BrianK Silver Supporting Member

Man the new album is awesome. Some of it sounds like Slider era T-Rex, sonically anyway.

10. nastynate

nastynate Member

As in Bob Loblaw's Law Blog from Arrested Development? I've just become an even bigger Black Keys fan.

11. Franklin

Franklin Supporting Member

What, no fuzz faces?

Gotta get the new album!