• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Dan Aykroyd and John Landis: how we made The Blues Brothers

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member

For all the guff that "The Blues Brothers" gets from purists and Curtis Salgado, as a ten-year old kid when it came out, it was completely my introduction to something mysterious and exciting called "The Blues". The following years had many recognition moments in record store bins as I found records by the blues artists in the movie and I marveled at how they'd gotten so many "legends" to appear in this funny car chase movie with singing. Also:

"It acts as cultural preservation. We made sure the writers of the material kept their publishing rights. John and I took performers’ rights only. Every one of those songs we recorded remunerated the original artists 100% due to album sales. It was an ethical decision and the songwriters today and their estates have benefited from it."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...do038vVrcmQ_KPE6LamBRUtWHbhpf-k5-L0vAHYmlOHfU

GulfportBound

Their hearts and ethics were in the right place but the movie still sucks.

And I've been sick and tired of all the so-called blues people in my town and elsewhere hitting bandstands in ersatz-Blues Brothers suits and hats for a very long time. They're at least as obnoxious as the Stevie Ray Vaughanabes in their ****** mariachi hats and costumes.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
As a kid growing up in Chicago suburbs and a child of parents from the South Side, I love watching the movie for the locations and the memories of actually living there. Nazis marching in Skokie was a very real thing when I was a kid. My grandparents used to go to the Maxwell Street Market.
Greatest movie ever? No, but the Blues Brothers did a lot of good bringing attention to artists who deserved recognition and probably got a lot of people to delve into blues music who wouldn’t have done so otherwise.

tapeworm

Their hearts and ethics were in the right place but the movie still sucks.

And I've been sick and tired of all the so-called blues people in my town and elsewhere hitting bandstands in ersatz-Blues Brothers suits and hats for a very long time. They're at least as obnoxious as the Stevie Ray Vaughanabes in their ****** mariachi hats and costumes.
I agree with this in full.

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
I enjoyed their shtick when it came out but the odd thing was most of the music they played wasn’t really Blues. In fact on their big album in 1978 and their soundtrack album almost none of it is blues. Still, it was a funny bit and they introduced a lot of young people to some great artists and music.

Artemis Fowl

Just no pleasing some people. Dis'ing the Blues Brothers movie?! Pathetic and sad. I swear some of you guys wouldn't know fun if it wrapped itself around your waist and started to wiggle. Carry on I guess...maybe try to find some grammatical errors or something else to complain about.

John Quinn

For all the guff that "The Blues Brothers" gets from purists and Curtis Salgado, as a ten-year old kid when it came out, it was completely my introduction to something mysterious and exciting called "The Blues". The following years had many recognition moments in record store bins as I found records by the blues artists in the movie and I marveled at how they'd gotten so many "legends" to appear in this funny car chase movie with singing.
Some facts to keep in mind regarding the Blues Brothers schtick; The Blues Brothers originated at the Dan Aykroyd-owned Holland Tunnel Blues Bar. Akroyd and Belushi would get up and play occasionally - Aykroyd was a fairly serious harmonica player - and Belushi was a serious comic who loved mimicking singers (it's where the Joe Cocker emulation was born). As one might think a whole lot of booze and drugs were flowing during these sessions. Aykroyd and another writer - Ron Gwynne - came up with the concept. I don't remember any of my friends taking the band very seriously - I think they were playing around in the off season. I do remember the movie was the 'it' movie when it came out - at least among the hipster types. I saw it in the Theaters - didn't understand the fuss - an to be honest I still don't. It was a fun movie to see one time - but really - a blues band? We'd all been there done that - minus the black suits, sunglasses and hats.

Last edited:

Gallus

For all the guff that "The Blues Brothers" gets from purists and Curtis Salgado, as a ten-year old kid when it came out, it was completely my introduction to something mysterious and exciting called "The Blues". The following years had many recognition moments in record store bins as I found records by the blues artists in the movie and I marveled at how they'd gotten so many "legends" to appear in this funny car chase movie with singing. Also:

"It acts as cultural preservation. We made sure the writers of the material kept their publishing rights. John and I took performers’ rights only. Every one of those songs we recorded remunerated the original artists 100% due to album sales. It was an ethical decision and the songwriters today and their estates have benefited from it."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...do038vVrcmQ_KPE6LamBRUtWHbhpf-k5-L0vAHYmlOHfU
Same here. Loved the movie from the get go and still do. Musically, it spelled out the names to look for in the record shop... which, by that time, certainly in regional Australia, didn't come up all that often.

viper

Love this movie and it is eminently quotable. Like others have mentioned, it turned me on to a lot of these blues/soul artists and I have massive respect how they left publishing rights to the original artists. The car crashes are over the top but overall it's a ton of fun and when it comes on TV I'll always stop to watch, if even for a few minutes.

Aloha Mark

The movie succeeded in broadening the appreciation of the Blues, so, no harm, no foul. Indirectly, it may have lined up funding for other productions such as Martin Scorsese's The Blues, and Ken Burns' Jazz.
Music is not the dominion of first adopters who frequented blues clubs, and purchased early Chess or Vanguard albums. It needed to flourish and grow like wild flowers, and eventually permeate popular culture and youtube. In that way, the blues will never die.

cragginshred

As a young guitarist I was fully underwhelmed by the 'music' in the movie. Although, to this day I quote lines from the movie
'You don't look like the good ole boys'
'Whats the chicken wire for'?
'Head em up, drive em out,..Rawhide'.... That's all I got at the moment!

Yeah dumb movie with some funny parts with crappy flavor of the 'Blues'.

Trending Topics