Dan Aykroyd and John Landis: how we made The Blues Brothers

strumminsix

As a kid growing up in Chicago suburbs and a child of parents from the South Side, I love watching the movie for the locations and the memories of actually living there. Nazis marching in Skokie was a very real thing when I was a kid. My grandparents used to go to the Maxwell Street Market.
Greatest movie ever? No, but the Blues Brothers did a lot of good bringing attention to artists who deserved recognition and probably got a lot of people to delve into blues music who wouldn’t have done so otherwise.
Can relate a lot to this. Split time between burbs and SE side (83rd & SSD) and of course tons of time @ Maxwell St before it was ruined. So loved so many reference points especially the 95th street bridge.

I don't get the dislike. It had great music, some of the finest musicians of all time, funny (maybe too campy at times, and tied together by an overly simplistic storyline that served the music. To me it also introduced me to some fantastic music that wasn't on my radar and the overall genre of "rhythm and blues". Being from Chicago corny as he!! blues trios with 1 guitar 1 bass and drums were and still are everywhere. But hearing masterful keys and horns added to that gumbo flat out changed my life.

NashSG

I was 10 when the movie came out, I loved it but I probably did not see it for a year or so after it came out on HBO as a kid. Had the classic SNL poster and all. Sadly trashed it the day Belushi died, that so bummed me out. Got to figure if Belushi had not of died, there probably would have been sequels. It's a pretty nuts screwball comedy. How many cop cars did they demolish on that set? There are a bunch outside the crazy scene underneath the L track. There are a boodle of cameos in the movie. Steven Spielberg is the clerk at the Cook County Assessment office.

Kurt L

Their hearts and ethics were in the right place but the movie still sucks.
I agree with this in full.
"Pathetic and sad" is a perfect way to describe that movie and its alleged humour.
Don’t you blaspheme in here!!!

(If you liked the movie, that line would be really funny right now!)

Aretha was awesome in her role!!
Damn right. She was hilarious!

Love the Blues Brothers, very fun movie. Best car chases ever...

SWEENEY

I WOKE UP (and got on TGP) THIS MORNIN...AND I HEARD A DISTURBING SOUND!
IT WAS THE JINGLE JANGLE OF A THOUSAND LOST SOULS, THAT COULDN'T ENJOY A SILLY LITTLE MOVIE WITH SOME GOOD MUSIC IN IT.:) YMMV

Seriously, don't go by me.:p I like Dominoes pizza, Coors Light, Crown Royal, DSL 100's and Agile guitars.:cool::cool:

disconnector

It's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
Gold Supporting Member
How can anybody NOT love this movie? This was a great scene!! !! :love:

And this scene was priceless!!!! :bow James was an amazing performer!

And of course the 'Band' scenes.

Really, we need to just play the whole movie in this thread :idea it was THAT good! :drink

The Jame Brown scene always kills me! OMG

Seriously - if you can't get a laugh out of The Blues Brothers your soul is dry and dead as my ex-wife's heart. You need to perhaps take life less seriously and just relax.

Trending Topics