Dan Aykroyd and John Landis: how we made The Blues Brothers

radicool

It's not fine art, but it was great to see all those people on the screen. I thought some scenes were pretty funny. Hating the movie because it spawned a lot of cheesy imitation bands wearing fedoras doesn't make a lot of sense. It's like hating Christmas because radio stations start playing carols before Thanksgiving - it's not Christmas' fault. Blues is an easy target. We've all heard a ton of crappy bar bands playing blues music. In my experience, most of those bands wouldn't know the blues if John Lee Hooker and Howlin Wolf came back from the dead and asked to sit in.

GulfportBound

Seriously - if you can't get a laugh out of The Blues Brothers your soul is dry and dead as my ex-wife's heart.
I'd have gotten laughs out of them if the movie was actually funny.

It was about as funny as a trap door on an airplane.

(And those were only funny in Looney Tunes cartoons.)

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
The movie is an all time classic. It introduced and gave a resurgence of the blues that was well needed. John & Dan doing anything together is hilarious. And if you don't like this movie, Don't tell me you wife is gorgeous cause I will not beleive you. And certainly don't recommend a funny move, casue you would be wrong about it. There are a number of blues styles, They played blues, traditional blues or R&B. And it was great. Your not. I will say that it is far more a guy movie than for the ladies.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
My dad took me to see the movie which I loved. Especially John Lee Hooker playing out on the street. When I movie was over we walked right into a record store and bought two John Lee Hooker albums.

Changed my life. No joke.
I liked that as well. It's ironic that Mr. Hooker made his fame in Detroit and not Chicago. I was infected by John Lee Hooker in '72 when I was 12 or 13 years old. I met him in the late 70's before a show. What a great voice and groove.

sunburst79

Got My Cheese Whiz Boy?

Jake tosses a pensioner a jar of cheese whiz.

Since they didn’t stop anywhere along the way (that we know off)

That means Jake had the foresight to grab the cheese whiz. While they where cruising through the Jewel Food Store ;)

I find that touching.

Yeah. It’s not Schindler’s List or Gone With The Wind. But I’ll be dammed if every time you do watch it. You find some new subtlety buried in it.

Campy or not there’s a ton of one liners buried in there.

And the cast of R&B stars brought those musicians quite a bit of attention.

Put that guitar back kid :)

pfrischmann

I really don't get all of the comments from "serious blues musicians" to quote another great movie "lighten up Francis". It's a very silly movie with great quotes and shtick. John lee Hooker, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Cab Calloway, tons of real blues as background music, iconic chase scenes.

It's a cult classic at the very least.

Robm422

Silver Supporting Member
One of my all time favorites! Grew up watching that movie, still Watch it every once in a while

bobcs71

I really don't get all of the comments from "serious blues musicians" to quote another great movie "lighten up Francis". It's a very silly movie with great quotes and shtick. John lee Hooker, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Cab Calloway, tons of real blues as background music, iconic chase scenes.

It's a cult classic at the very least.
Some of my favorite musicians and car chases. I loved it.
What is better to me? Just Oh, Brother.

If you don't like it what the heck do ya watch?

Jonny G

Just no pleasing some people. Dis'ing the Blues Brothers movie?! Pathetic and sad. I swear some of you guys wouldn't know fun if it wrapped itself around your waist and started to wiggle. Carry on I guess...maybe try to find some grammatical errors or something else to complain about.
This x 1000. Jeez Louise - some people on here make me despair for humanity :facepalm

Fortunately, that's the minority, which is why Im still here.

Trending Topics