Dan Hicks & his hot licks appreciation thread..

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by j2b4o, Aug 10, 2009.

1. j2b4o

j2b4o Member

2. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

+10000000^6

Loves me Dan & the Lickettes in all their incarnations. Great band that still gets played a lot around here.
    It's swing, done in a Beat style. :aok

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  3. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

When I was introduced to the underground music scene at the age of 15, Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks were part of the mix. Hicks' songwriting was original and the instrumentation completely out of character with what was being used at the time by other bands. I'm hard pressed to think another band that was as original or unique, with the exception being It's A Beautiful Day, a band that formed within the same circle of musicians.

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Huge fan here. Never saw him back in the day, but I've seen a couple of shows in the last 3-4 years. What a hell of a writer.

Fun facts to know and share: Naomi Ruth "Miami" Eisenberg is making a living doing phone sex these days. It was reported in the San Jose Merc a couple of years ago - evidently she's damn good at it, if the reporter's reaction is anything to go by... :)

5. fusion58

fusion58 Member

Jamie Leopold (bass w/ Dan Hicks) was something of a mentor to me when I was a kid just starting out on guitar. A very supportive, encouraging guy who was always willing to share his experience and knowledge. Pretty damn fine guitarist, pianist, and songwriter as well. These days he runs an ad agency in Portland, OR.

6. bunuel

bunuel Member

Great writer, but a great performer too. Seen him many times since the '70s (yeh, I'm old), but he's been at his best on-stage in the last decade. Always has an amazing ultra-tight band w/ him.

7. j2b4o

j2b4o Member

I agree he is a great performer with an awesome sense of humor and great presence. his new album tangled tales is great! he just never seems to loose his edge

8. dets1

dets1 Member

love dan and the licks. i've never seen them live though. my friends saw them a few years back and said they were outstanding.

9. alberob

alberob Member

"Whoever you are you pushed me too far,I'm gonna smash your face!" He cracks me up every time I hear him.:nuts

10. johntoste

johntoste Member

If ever there was an artist who should have been a huge commercial success, it's Dan. His relative obscurity is just another of life's little perplexities to me.

11. j2b4o

j2b4o Member

+50

12. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

I still have this poster on the wall I got of him when I saw the Charlatans at the Avalon....
    These guys always looked good at least.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  13. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Member

I saw him lots back then, and sporadically over the last few decades. Back then, he didn't take any crap at all from the audience. Kind of a bad boy, really; burping into the mic, telling folks to f___ off, etc. But in a good-natured way.

The double-stop solo on "I Scare Myself" knocks me out.

14. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

"O'Reilly it was plain, was feeling no pain. I think you better reckon with me. Life at the bar was taking a jar, O’Reilly was as drunk as can be....etc."

(OK - so the guy can't handle his liquor...)

15. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

The Austin City Limits episode from a few years ago of DH and the Hot Licks and also with the Acoustic Warriors is amazing, IMO.

Great tunes, vocals, and instrumentals. Got it all going on.

I didn't know It's A Beautiful Day are from the same crowd. I saw them when I was in college in about '72 or so. One of the best concerts I've ever seen/heard. Once in a while I'll run into someone else that was at that concert and they all say it was almost a life changing experience.

16. puls

puls Member

I see his former guitar player Turtle Vandemar here pretty often. One of the most consistent "jaw dropper" (my jaw, not his...) guitar players I know. I like Dan too, although the only reason I know who he is is because Turtle still does several of Dan's songs. Turtle played a set w/ Dan at the Waterfront Blues festival here a few years back & I made a special effort to get down to see them. Very glad I had the chance4 to see the two of them together for more then just a few tunes.

jwp

17. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

The guy who I thought was really great was John Girton who played guitar and some lap steel after ~1972 (Strikin' It Rich' , 'Last Train to Hicksville' and later). Man, that guy could swing - a perfect balance for Sid Page. Anyone know whatever happened to him?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  18. Mark EL

Mark EL Supporting Member

They (DH&HL) were definitely a revelation when I first encountered their recordings in the 70's. Wore out 2 or 3 vinyl albums.

+1 on the Austin City Limits performance as well.

19. konavet

konavet Member

There is a dvd available of his 60th birthday celebration at the Warfield in SF. Pretty much all the different incarnations of the Hot Licks and Acoustic Warriors together. Lots of fun- Netflix has it.

20. lhallam

lhallam Member

Saw them back in the day at the VCU gym, a free show. I think Bruce Springstein was there as well.

"I can smell the coffee brewin..."