Danalectro transparent OD V2 in depth review

zorzi

Tried the first much talked about dano and it sounded good but will never replace my Timmy's on my boards. Plus the concentric bass/treble knob is stupid.
Fast forward tried the Ver 2 . Still stupid ergonomics and even after fiddling with the internal dip switches couldn't find one musical sound. Awful pedal...sorry to be negative but life's to short for bad tone.

gearboy

I preferred the V1 to the V2. I thought the V2 had a thuddyness about it and was not as 'transparent' to my ears.

takeittothemall

Silver Supporting Member
I really dig my version 1. I think it's a great alternative to a tubescreamer type pedal without the mid frequency hump. It can definitely hang with my Fulltone Fulldrive 2--and at quite a bit less expense.

The P-Man

Tried the first much talked about dano and it sounded good but will never replace my Timmy's on my boards. Plus the concentric bass/treble knob is stupid.
Fast forward tried the Ver 2 . Still stupid ergonomics and even after fiddling with the internal dip switches couldn't find one musical sound. Awful pedal...sorry to be negative but life's to short for bad tone.
Dude, I get the whole 'TOD vs Timmy' thing but if you genuinly couldn't find a decent tone in either of the Dano's it says more about you than the pedal.

kev324

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, didn't care for v2. I'll hook up the v1 from time to time but it doesn't stay on the board. It's not bad for recording but I dig the TS mid hump.

6Tones

What amp are you playing it through.
Do you work for ..that "other" pedal company ? lol

Bluedano1

I preferred the V1 to the V2. I thought the V2 had a thuddyness about it and was not as 'transparent' to my ears.
I had a TOD V.1, liked it and thinking I could just get another one, I gave mine to a buddy as a slightly-used X-mas gift (it was in perfect cond). Then I bought the V.2 and I just did not think it had nearly the same nice sounding overdrive, it was farty and less transparent at higher Gain settings-the DIP switches did not seem to do anything except the one that boosts the dB's with the Gain knob at zero and the Volume cranked- it did do a good clean volume boost. So I returned the V.2 and got myself another V.1.

I do think that both V.2 versions of the Transparent OD and the Cool Cat Drive pedals sounded better on the Gearmandude demos than what I was hearing from my purchase. I liked the sound of the V.2 Drive pedal on the GMD video as I thought that pedal, though not as aggressive as the V.1, sounde warmer and more amplike?? (seemed from the comments that most folks still like the V.1 Drive better, which I also have and use, but I would not mind checking out the V.2 Drive)

PaulC

What amp are you playing it through.
Do you work for ..that "other" pedal company ? lol
He said the pedal sounded fine - he just didn't like where the knobs were and it didn't replace my original pedal. He was just giving his opinion.

and no - he doesn't work for me. I don't even know who he is...

PaulC
Tim/Timmy pedals
myspace.com/paulcaudio

6Tones

He said the pedal sounded fine - he just didn't like where the knobs were and it didn't replace my original pedal. He was just giving his opinion.

and no - he doesn't work for me. I don't even know who he is...

PaulC
Tim/Timmy pedals
myspace.com/paulcaudio
I wasnt specifying any one company..just any other company besides Danos..it was a tounge in cheek comment anyway.

JDouglee

Are the treb/bass frequencies and range similar to the Timmy? I really like my V1, I'd
just as soon have the real thing if they're that close.

Webfoot

Silver Supporting Member
PaulC... would like to see a pedal from you like a timmy but voiced for a clean fender mid scooped amp.

tjmicsak

It just dawned in me that I have never heard this issue raised with the Roger Mayer space ship designs, but I will say that the dano knob locations ARE a PITA and too far outside the box I like to think in. Might be why RM offers the same pedals in a "box' too.

He said the pedal sounded fine - he just didn't like where the knobs were and it didn't replace my original pedal.

zorzi

Not to belabor the point, but , I quite liked Ver.1 .... just couldn't understand what they were thinking with the knob placement. Even before putting it on a board I had trouble getting at the concentric tone controls.
Out of curiosity I thought I'd try Ver.2 at my local retailer and found it to be wholly unmusical. I just felt I had to respond to the original post stating he felt it was his always on pedal. Of course others opinion may well very.

By the way, of course I don't work for Paul. I like so many others on this forum however, point directly toward his awesome pedal whenever I'm asked what I couldn't live without.

Totally off topic but if Paul cares to respond:
I inadvertently plugged in a 9V A.C. wall wart into my Timmy and didn't realize it until the faint smell of a burnt component hit me. Remarkably the pedal still works perfectly. Did I just toast a protection component designed for idiots like me.

soopajeanmi

Are the treb/bass frequencies and range similar to the Timmy? I really like my V1, I'd
just as soon have the real thing if they're that close.
I have a TODv1 and a Timmy. They don't sound very similar to my ears.

I like both but the transparency of the Timmy is not there in the TOD.

But I prefer my TOD to the 2 barber LTD I had.

Bluedano1

I have a TODv1 and a Timmy. They don't sound very similar to my ears.

I like both but the transparency of the Timmy is not there in the TOD.

But I prefer my TOD to the 2 barber LTD I had.
This is the first posting I've seen (that I can remember) of someone preferring the TOD over an LTD. I have a TOD V.1, a Blues Driver (that I feel is pretty "transparent" at low Gain settings) and I love my Barber Direct Drive for medium-gain tone. Just curious as someone who is interested in getting an LTD for another "transparent" flavor (I have never played one just heard the demos and the comments about the various LTD's are always glowing) why you prefer the TOD? BTW, what is your guitar/amp rig? I am using Fender into Fender. Thanks This stuff is fun, aint it!?!?

edwarddavis

Gold Supporting Member
I havwe version one and love the thing , I stop using the OD channel on my amp .
Sorry but it sounds great to me and i have used it with Lps and teles .

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Platinum Supporting Member
i just want to say that I dont know why it seems so frequent that people here completely miss the point of someone's post and start flaming them....

its called "comprehensive reading" people.....

ANYWAYS.... i will not try the V2. i tried the V1. Its good, but the placement of the knobs beside the jacks will stop me from buying any more of the dano cool cats. unacceptable knob / jack placement. with std right angle patch cords you get into a bit of a mess trying to turn knobs, etc.

steve10358

Ha Ha !!!
Yes and to add... Am I the only one who thinks the two don't really sound that close to warrant the **** Danelectro has taken on the internet?

I don't understand the backlash here regarding this issue... especially when most guys spend their time here debating each other over who makes the best closet-808 clone. I don't see anyone griping about Fender or Marshall "inspired" items. I really do not understand the logic of the argument.

Is it wrong to copy? Probably. Do I condone it? Sure I do. But people can't have it both ways... what's with the double standard? At least they were honest and corrected the situation... which I think should be commended.

Trending Topics