• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

dance party band setlists

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
Working on a new project and the goal is to be the band that brings the party and people stay and dance all night. There are a hundred bands that play the same tired songs locally that people don't go see so we want to do something new. Looking at Bruno mars, Coldplay, maroon5, walk the moon, etc.

What's working for you? What did you expect to work that totally bombed?

chillybilly

What is often considered pop is now country and what is often considered country is now pop. Let's face it: the so-called pop charts have largely become the hip-hop charts and hip-hop has, does and always will rely on electronic instruments, rock/rap crossovers notwithstanding.

Those still playing traditional rock instruments (guitars/bass/drums/keys), therefore, must be prepared to play anything from either side of that fence, if such a fence even exists these days.

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
What is often considered pop is now country and what is often considered country is now pop. Let's face it: the so-called pop charts have largely become the hip-hop charts and hip-hop has, does and always will rely on electronic instruments, rock/rap crossovers notwithstanding.

Those still playing traditional rock instruments (guitars/bass/drums/keys), therefore, must be prepared to play anything from either side of that fence, if such a fence even exists these days.
That's fair. I'm not against playing hip-hop. Just thought I'd see what everyone else is doing and do some of that and maybe learn from them what songs they thought would crush but fell flat.

loudboy

James Brown will be too hip for the room.

Other than that, Motown and '70s Funk Hits generally kills.

If you're talking about club work, I'm not sure a dance/party band will work all that well. Most of the bands that play that stuff do weddings/functions.

ksandvik

I think anything done after 1990 is fine; anything before that and you start playing for the retirees. There's a market for that, too.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom