• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Dancing Days guitar tone

funkycam

Other than there are some layers with slide, anyone know anything about what gear was used on this?

Only person who seems to have got in that tonal neighborhood since is Dean DeLeo eg check intro tone on All In That Suit You Wear by STP, or tones on Army of Anyone's record eg. Disappear.

My first thought is Tele bridge p/u into cranked tiny amp, but there is this particular chime I have not heard anywhere else.

Any thoughts...?

NoQuarter

That's kind of a tough one man. It absolutely could be a tele bridge p/u, but there are a few layers there combined to get to the final balance. The different tuning may be a factor somehow also. Maybe the Danelectro showed up.There are so many questions like yours that I want answered. I wish all of their gear/tracks were documented in greater detail.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
Page used an ARP "Grey" Meanie synths filter matrix for much of the PG recording sessions (and HOTH as much of PG was recorded during that same time). I'm not 100% sure it was used on the Dancing Days song but it sure sounds like it to me. At least the intro guitar.

Echoes

Page used solid state Beatles Vox and tube AC30 Vox amps....sounds like a product of one of these Vox amps

Cuthbert

I know Dean is into the small old Gretsch amps and he's a real freak for Page tones.

reddgeetarzan

Gold Supporting Member
Part of the magic on that tune is that its played in OPEN G. It has a more piano like 'ring' to it for me, but I agree, its gotta be a Tele bridge.

I love that song :D

With a Les Paul and Marshalls, its still sounds like the original....

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Gold Supporting Member
On the side...anyone know if Dean and Jimmy are friends and/or hangout?

Imagine the tone coming out of that jam lol

reddgeetarzan

Gold Supporting Member
Page used an ARP "Grey" Meanie synths filter matrix for much of the PG recording sessions (and HOTH as much of PG was recorded during that same time). I'm not 100% sure it was used on the Dancing Days song but it sure sounds like it to me. At least the intro guitar.
It could be that and a pedal steel.....I think JPJ played those parts

RocksOff

If you can locate an older Deluxe Electric Mistress with the switchable filter matrix, you can easily dial in those tones.

Trending Topics