Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion

flyonthewall150

Silver Supporting Member
Picked one of these up in a pawn shop last week. Surprisingly good pedal. Gets a nice Marshally plexi kinda distortion. Was there ever any confirmation on whether or not this was a clone of the BB preamp?

chrisjnyc

What color is it? I think the Dano Drive was an OCD clone, and the Trans OD was a Timmy Clone.

flyonthewall150

Silver Supporting Member
This one:

There was never a version 2 put out of this pedal. And it doesn't really sound a crunchbox to me. The dual bass/treble tone control is different than the crunchbox's single tone control.

flyonthewall150

Silver Supporting Member
No, it was the silver Cool Cat Overdrive (which I also have) that was an OCD clone. The red distortion is something different. There was speculation that it was a BB preamp clone but I never heard any confirmation of that even on the forbidden forum.

k tone

Are they even making the distortion any more (or even the Cool Cats for that matter). They are kind of few and far between.

wildschwein

It wasn't a bad pedal but I think the plastic Fab Distortion actually sounds better than this one. The Cool Cat (CC) has true bypass and is more rugged though - in my rig it just had a kind of scratchy midrange I didn't warm to. I had similar feelings about the CC OD V1. Sold them both pretty quick - still have the CC Chorus and Tremolo which are okay. The Fab Distortion is more scooped than the CC and is a hoot to play through (cheap too). Just my 2 cents.