Danelectro Cool Cat or Tuna Melt

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheGuildedAge, Jul 23, 2008.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I need a tremolo, and am looking at these. I don't want a volume drop, and I need a pedal that can work with an already dirty amp.

Any users like them, or am I better off upgrading. I tried a Boss tr2 and couldn't deal with the volume drop (wouldn't mind a volume boost.) Analog Man Modded it, and it was ok, but I traded it away. Not interested in spending too much.

2. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I own a tuna melt and it has absolutely no volume drop. I don't think the pedal is TB but there is so much transparency that it feels like someone was simply turning your volume knob up and down through your dry signal. It works well with both a overdrive before and after the pedal so I'm sure an already distorted amp won't be a problem. I haven't tried the cool cat but from descriptions, it seems like the only difference is the added TB.

3. larimar

larimar Member

The Melt is a good trem unit. They go really cheap used.

4. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

Well my tuna melt has a vol drop.Maybe it has to do with chain placement.
    Anyway I've never been bothered by a slight vol drop cuz every amp I've ever had with trem had a slight drop too.
    The Tuna is great IMO.

5. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

No volume drop at all w/ my Tuna Melt, excellent sounding trem.

6. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I just got a cool cat trem today - I'll let you know what the deal is as soon as I get to try it out

7. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

8. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I tried the Cool Cat recently and wasn't really impressed. There didn't seem to be any volume drop, but it sounded to me like it added highs when engaged.

I also didn't care for the range of the speed knob ... lots of range, which is good, but it seemed really concentrated between Noon and 2 - 3 o'clock and any speed increases in this area really ramped up the speed quickly.

9. Grenville

Grenville Member

Had a Tuna Melt and loved it. A very slight vol boost when engaged.

Sold it when I got a Catalinbread Semaphore, which was slightly clearer but too versatile for my needs.

Just got a Cool Cat Vibe and Cool Cat Trem AND a Little Big Muff from the money I got for the Semaphore. The Vibe has a noticeable volume boost when engaged which is annoying, but a useful effect. The trem is clear as can be, very nice. The LBM is another story, great fun but not clear AT ALL.

10. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I don't hear any volume drop when the cool cat is engaged, but I also noticed some added highs. For me though, it's perfectly fine - I think it sounds good overall. Like Greg said above, the speed does increase very quickly in the 12-3 range, but I didn't have too much trouble dialing it in. I wouldn't say it's the most versatile trem by any means, but I do think it sounds good for the sounds I want. I got mine for $30 and am very happy with it so far

11. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I would agree that at it's price point, it's by far the best trem on the market.

However, some of the comments I've seen elsewhere suggesting it's as good as some of the boutique trem pedals are just off-the-mark IMO.

12. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

My needs are a slow, warbly up and down sound, but also the faster choppy sounds. It needs to cut through very well, because I have no clean channel.

13. RomanS

RomanS Member

My Tuna Melt has a VERY noticeable volume drop - too much to make it useable for me, despite its great sound.
    The other thing I don't like: the trem speed knob is much too sensitive, and since it is so small in diameter, it is very hard to set it exactly for the speed you want...