Danelectro Cool Cat Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by qatcat, May 27, 2008.

1. qatcat

qatcat Member

I've been lucky enough to get a sneek peek at some of these. These are Danelectro's new effort. The pedals are all true bypass and run from 29-59 bucks.

I have no affiliation with Danelectro whatsoever

I received the following

Metal pedal: gobs and gobs of distortion but tight sounding as well. really captures that heavy metallica late 80's early 90's metal sound I remember. The knobs are a little cumbersome but actually that's also an advantage being you won't mess up the settings when moving it around.

Transparent OD: really glassy sounding. It's a little heavy for volume boost (treble boost yes) but really does a great job of keeping the integity of the ampI'm really diggin this pedal a lot. Sounds as good as some of my $200 OD's.

Chorus: sounds like your 80's style chorus. It gets heavy and obnoxious. The detune goes a 1/2 step and it's a clean 1/2 step too! Lots of fun with that. I've been dialing in some leslie tones as well. So far have not been able to get the Arion Sch-1 leslie but it blows the Arion chorus tones away IMHO.

For the money you cannot beat these things. I've owned a bizillion different pedals and these things really rock big time. I'm seriously considering replacing some of my main pedals with these. for the $ I may just order the whole lot!

2. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

It's refreshing to see some headway being made at the affordable level after so many years of stagnation. I can imagine many a pro taking on one or more of those, that always inspires me - seeing one of my heros with a bog standard effect.

3. qatcat

qatcat Member

My pedalboard at one time was worth 3k with about 10 pedals. I've got rid of some of the real pricey ones but kept a bunch as well.

How Danelectro makes these true bypass pedals and sells them for 29-59 bucks is beyond me. Like I said these pedals are comparible to my boutique pedals. Some I may trade out, Some I won't. I will buy the lot of them at these prices.

It's damn refreshing to see a good inexpensive pedal!!!!!!!

4. drolling

drolling Member

If they reissue the Chikn Salad (vibe) in a sturdy enclosure, I'll be all over it. The P,B&J 2-speed delay & ChiliDog octave too..

FWIW, I owned those little plastic mini-pedals and gave em to a starving musician buddy of mine a few years back. He was in town last month & told me they're ALL stilll workin fine!

But the little 'potato bug' Tubescreamer (TS-5) I threw in apparently died quite some time ago:rolleyes:

5. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

With as cheap as they are I am planning on building a whole second board with them for practice or small gigs.

6. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I'm with sensible.

7. Garage Dog

Garage Dog Member

8. qatcat

qatcat Member

pretty sweet if you ask me..

9. fumanii

fumanii Member

Hey Everyone,
    Qatcat, recognize you from the huge racks board. I am impressed with these new Danelectro pedals. My friend had some earlier models and they didn't sound as good. The Chorus is gonna go on my main board. I like the Transparent Overdrive as a boost pedal to push a gritty amp to that next level. I think I am also going to have to build a smaller board to house the pedals that don't go on my main board. IMHO these pedals sound better than some of my pedals that cost four times the price.
    I also do not work for Danelectro and I honestly thought the pedals were gonna suck. I am interested in trying out the Tremolo and Vibe.

10. Wooley

Wooley Member

If this is the old Cool Cat with decent jacks and housing and true bypass, I think we have a new player in the Chorus market. The old Cool Cats sounded awesome.

11. Garage Dog

Garage Dog Member

Where is the delay pedal!!!!!!
    We need delay;)

12. qatcat

qatcat Member

the new cool cat chorus is simply awesome. I put it up against my CE-2 and feel it is fuller and mor shimmer than the Boss. The Leslie is good too.

I've been comparing the transparent OD to my OCD v1 and they're very comparible. The definition of the notes with the Transparent OD is fantastic. I can dial in some serious tones ith this puppy. I'm using a Budda SD30 with a Tyler Landau Classic and Classic.

The metal pedal is pretty cool as well though probably too much for me personally. Lots of Metallica and stuff like that..

No delay but I'm going to check out the other stuff once it becomes available

13. Shon Kornfeld

Shon Kornfeld Member

I got the Vibe, Metal and Drive to check out, and did so using my Suhr Classic with FLs and Suhr T with SSVs into my Badger 18w set up dirtyish clean (gain at 5). i couldve used the OD100 but that amp loves all pedals, whereas the Badger with the el84s is just a little less forgiving with some pedals. so i figure if a pedal sounds great with the Badger, it will sound great with the OD100 and probably a lot of other amps.

Vibe - the effect sounds good, once it comes in, about 2-4 seconds after you turn it on. [​IMG] i hope they look into that. also the signal seems a little hot, at least with the mix at 50%... smack a chord, then turn it on, and i hear a boost for a couple seconds, then the effect itself. i hope they revisit the design cause it could be a cool pedal with those issues addressed.

Metal - lots of gain, of course! it has a 3 band EQ that is useable, altho i couldnt dial in a tone i really loved. liked? sure... and i had fun playing Pantera riffs for a few minutes but im not sure if this ones real useable for me. too bad, its so sexy with its stealth black chassis and blue LED.

Drive - oh boy, ive got a drawer full of Abunai, Eternity, OCD, Foxy Brown, OD-820, Dragonfly, modded RAT, multiple fuzzes... do i need another gain/drive pedal?? well... I need THIS ONE! This thing sounds pretty damn sweet! ill have to crank it another time (ive got the Badger power scaling set fairly low) but im REALLY diggin the tones im getting with this one! before playing it, i saw they make a "Transparent Overdrive" as well, so i feared this one might be the typical compressed mid-hump circuit... but no! great crunch tone, very useable Tone knob, im diggin it right in the middle pretty much, which is good (lots of room either way for dark/bright guitars/amps). i can definately see using this pedal on some recordings in the near future!

14. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

Where are you guys finding these?

D

15. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

where is this stuff available? I havent been able to find any info on release dates or anything

16. qatcat

qatcat Member

don't know when the official release date is. Dano sent out some boxes for beta testing. I would think the release date will be soon.

17. thesteve

thesteve Member

this is awesome guys. Thanks for the feedback. I saw these on the web a few months ago and was a bit skeptical. Good to hear that Danelectro is doing it right.

18. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I also received some pedals for beta-testing. I have the Transparent Overdrive, Chorus and Metal. Some thoughts and comments:

1st impressions are important and the pedals definitely did well, I love the look and feel. Sturdy boxes that will take a beating, cool blue led (we all know it sounds better then anything else), great feel on the switch. The placing of the controls is great, no danger of hitting them when stomping on the box. Working the dual controls is not easy but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it. Battery acces couldn't have been easier which is also a big plus.

When using the pedals, I noticed that the OD and Metal pedal have a LOT of output. This is great but also makes them a bit harder to dial in just right. I think the Metal could use a little less output as this would make the range more usefull and easier to dial in. The OD however sounds amazing to boost an already overdriven amp and any amount of boost works there.

My tests so far have been in different environments as well as with different other gear. I used them at home, for recording and in a band situation.

Although I'm more a rock/roots player, the Metal pedal was a pleasant surprise. The 3-band EQ works excellent, good range on the EQ. There's obviously plenty of gain and a lot of output. After several tests I found that there's a number of applications where this pedal is really useful. As a standalone distortion box, it excels in the gritty heavy tones, the low end is tight which can be a problem with high gain pedals. I'll probably be using it more as a booster of even as an EQ pedal. I found it actually works great running to gain low and using the EQ to shape the tone of your amp. It was like having a seperate overdrive channel on the amp.

I had high expectations from the Chorus. I used to own the original 18v-powered Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus untill some scu... stole it. I always loved that pedal. The new Cool Cat chorus definitely delivered the same excellent tones and plenty more. The mix and eq controls are fantastic features. I find that the EQ allows me to go from a smooth sound up to the 80s spanky LA Clean tone. The range of the pedal is great, it even does a nice faux-leslie tone. As it has a mix control, I tried it in my fx loop where I run some fx units in parallel through a mixer. Sadly though, the Chorus could not handle the line level and was distorting a little.

Finally, there is the Transparent Overdrive. I grew tired of hearing the word transparent when people are talking about OD pedals so what about a box that has THAT word in it's name??? I'm not sure but I had the impression that the gold paint job could be a nod to the Klon Centaur. Short version: this pedal is FANTASTIC. Low gain crunch tones are pretty hard to nail in a pedal and I'm definitely very picky about these tones. The dual eq controls make this pedal the winner that it is. I have tried and I haven't found a tone in the box that I did not like or couldn't use. I keep the gain rather low and then it gives me the best of both worlds. It sounds excellent as a standalone od into a clean amp and it really rips when used to boost an already overdriven amp. It adds punch and dynamics. I can't praise this enough and it is already part of my main gigging rig.

Fantastic value for money, the are going to sell boatloads of these pedals. I want the Fuzz, Vibe and Distortion and build a spare board with them.

19. qatcat

qatcat Member

release date is early June..

These things for the money are can't miss. I like the Transparent OD a ton. It's replacing one of my OD's. The Chorus is very close to my CE-2, actually sounds a little richer. I'm thinking very strongly on put it on the board.

I don't have a use for the metal pedal but it's sounds damn good as well.

Heck you can buy all 9 of these for about the price of one good boutique pedal!!

20. marnold

marnold Member

Has anybody gotten a chance to try out the fuzz? I'm really interested in that one although the clip on the site sounds a bit fizzy.