Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent OD v1 & v2 users

jcs

I've owned the v1 TOD and like it okay.....its not too noisy and overall useful.

So I bought the v2 TOD and it sounds a bit smoother but seems to have some hiss.

Do you folks own both or have a preference for one or the other?

Are there any mods for these?

I like the bass and treble controls (though the location sucks).

How are these holding up long term?

I don't use mine a lot btw....both are near mint.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I have one (I forget which version) and really like it. I'm guessing there aren't many replies to your post because this pedal is a known clone of the Timmy, which most folks here would rather go for...

Reactions: jcs

jcs

I have one (I forget which version) and really like it. I'm guessing there aren't many replies to your post because this pedal is a known clone of the Timmy, which most folks here would rather go for...
True...however the v2 is not a Timmy clone from what I understand.

I am making up 2 pedal boards and not interested in buying 2 Timmys right now.

stevel

I have the V1. Never gigged it and the switch was acting funny shortly after purchase - if I click it, sometimes it's like it's a lower volume and I have to press in on it again (but not click it) and it will come up to full volume. It's like the switch is somewhat intermittent - like a dirty pot.

I bought an OCD, er, I mean, the other Dano that was supposed to basically be an OCD and that one I actually gigged with and it still works fine. So I think I just got a lemon out of QC with the TOD.

I don't really like either of them though. I used the OCD clone for a very light, barely edge of break up tone, which was actually VERY transparent, but as an actual "drive" I didn't like it.

There's a sound in the TOD I like, but it would be a "when I need that sound" kinda sound, which is rarely, so I didn't really care for it.

The knobs are such a struggle to use (and the pots were scratchy right out of the box) that they're not really worth my effort.

jcs

I have the V1. Never gigged it and the switch was acting funny shortly after purchase - if I click it, sometimes it's like it's a lower volume and I have to press in on it again (but not click it) and it will come up to full volume. It's like the switch is somewhat intermittent - like a dirty pot.

I bought an OCD, er, I mean, the other Dano that was supposed to basically be an OCD and that one I actually gigged with and it still works fine. So I think I just got a lemon out of QC with the TOD.

I don't really like either of them though. I used the OCD clone for a very light, barely edge of break up tone, which was actually VERY transparent, but as an actual "drive" I didn't like it.

There's a sound in the TOD I like, but it would be a "when I need that sound" kinda sound, which is rarely, so I didn't really care for it.

The knobs are such a struggle to use (and the pots were scratchy right out of the box) that they're not really worth my effort.
Thanks!

Keep in mind, I got these mint examples of each for stupid cheap....no issues with either...so far!.....the v1 TOD was brand new in the box.

Some of my older amps are pretty dark sounding and both the v1 & v2 seem to mesh fairly well....I agree the control locations are a real pain to use.

How close is either v1 or v2 TOD to a real Timmy btw?

Lt_Core

I've had the TOD v1 and the Timmy. I did a blind taste test a few times. Quite honestly the real deal won almost every time. When playing live the TOD v1 was indistinguishable, however the cheapness of the Dano rendered it useless after a few gigs.

Trending Topics