Danelectro DC 59 Modified Bridge.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by peich, Jan 30, 2012.

1. peich

peich Member

Hi peeps! I need some help with my new Danelectro. I got it today and decided to change the original strings. It's been such a pain that I've come to the conclusion that I must be doing something wrong. The thing is that the space between the bridge piece and the guitar's body is so narrow that it's REALLY difficult to take the ball end of the string out. I have even damaged the paint a bit... maybe the bridge needs some readjustment? anyone having this model could give me some tip? I used to think Floyd Rose bridges were the worst of the nightmares as regards string changing, but...

thanks in advance! :)

2. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Your not doing anything wrong, that bridge is just a major PITA do deal with. Take your time, one way to make it easier is to slide the bridge off, put the strings on, slide the bridge back on.

3. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

I've got mine adjusted so that the ball ends just barely fit between the bridge slots and the top face of the guitar and the angle over the wooden saddle seems to be fine for my playing and setup.

You could raise the screw on the back end of the bridge so that the strings fit.

Also, I use a bit of masking tape over the string end so that it stays in the slot while I'm winding the string at the peghead.

4. neutronrobot

neutronrobot Member

I don't know how I didn't find this thread earlier, but I posted the exact same question about my 2012 59-DC modified last night.
    Same as yours, my bridge is right against the route going towards the neck, and I didn't notice it was a problem until I tried to change strings.
    The only way I could get the old strings off was to unscrew the studs and raise the bridge over the route.

One weird thing: when I had the bridge up over the routed out area, I still couldn't slide the bridge back off the studs. Is there some other way it's attached?
    I had an SG with a Leo Quan bridge and once the strings were cut the bridge would come right off. Can't figure out why this isn't working the same way.

So "Vintage," I guess I was thinking about doing what you did and have the guitar setup with the bridge farther back in the route so I can get the string balls out of the front without raising the bridge.
    Did that work out OK for you intonation wise?

5. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

No, have to re-intonate. Love the guitar though =')

6. neutronrobot

neutronrobot Member

Yeah these are GREAT guitars!

I guess I'll have to get the bridge adjusted back and re-setup.
    So out of curiosity, does your bridge seem to be attached to the bridge studs?
    I still can't figure out why it wouldn't slide off once the bridge was raised out of the bridge route.