Danelectro DC3 / U3 wiring in series

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by PCN, Dec 12, 2011.

1. PCN

PCN Member

Hi guys!

I researched the wiring of DC3 / U3 on the net but didn't found much info, only the switch mechanism of the Select'o'Matic (here: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t14232/ )and that the pups are wired in paralel when this switch is activated. However I think that it's more cool to make it in series because all the Dano's with 2 pups that I know are wired in this way. So with this little information and my poor knowledge in electronics I developed a schematic for wiring them in series using this switch, only modifying the "Blow switch" from SPDT on/on to 3PDT on/on. In my efforts I discover that using 3 SPDT on/off it's way more easy to make it but I wanted to preserve the original appearance of the guitar. How I am no electronics expert all the wiring may be wrong, so in this case may someone with more electronics experience verify if my schematic is correct? I know that is a bit complicated but I tried to make it easier to understand. Any help will be very appreciated.

PS: I don't know the true value of tone cap, if anyone knows or has a DC3/U3 and check it I will be very greatful.

[​IMG]

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

so every combo of two pickups is in series?

that's cool. series wiring tends towards mud on strats, but the brighter, thinner lipstick pickup might be just right for that. (i lurv the duncan dano pickups in my 2-pickup jerry jones, series middle setting and all.)

nice graphics on the diagram, by the way.

3. PCN

PCN Member

Thanks man!

Yes, when two pickups are selected they are in series and when the blow switch is activated the all three goes in series, however this diagram is not verified.
    Did you replace the Jerry Jones lipsticks by Seymour Duncans? If yes, how does they compare?

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

Yep, but we're talking late '90s here; the JJs of the period were good, but the Duncans just sparkle.

5. straightblues

straightblues Member

Did you end up doing this wiring? How did it work for you. I just got a DC3 and I want to do something similar.

6. PCN

PCN Member

No, it's for a guitar that I am planing to build so it will take a long time to do it, however I know a guy that may help me to check this wiring (I think it is correct but I can't garantee) so it will not take so much time to do that. Can you send some wiring shots of your Dano? It will be very helpfull to check this one.

7. straightblues

straightblues Member

Here are some photos of my mid 90's Korean DC3. This is the best I can do on my cheap camera.

The big black square with the 9 lugs on the top is the "Blow Switch".

The select to matic switch is the one in the middle with the green PCB. Behind the green board there are 4 boards running perpendicular to the green board.

The concentric pots control both volume and tone. There is a single "tropical fish" style ceramic capacitor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  8. PCN

PCN Member

Thanks for the photos!
    The DC3 original wiring looks as I thought, except for the blow switch, that seems to be already a 3pdt on/on so it won't be necessary replace it.
    The tone cap is 0,015mF.
    I showed this wiring to a eletronic technician and he says that is correct, my next step is to make a new pcb for the select-o-matic, I'll post here when it's done.
    Althought I think this wiring is more usefull to DC3 / U3 players maybe can be interesting to Strat players which use Lipsticks.

9. straightblues

straightblues Member

I took my guitar in to get it worked on by Steve Soest. He was the luthier responsible for designing these guitars. He had some U3 wiring harnesses. They were the same as the DC3 except for the plate that they are mounted on is straight instead of curved.

He said the caps on these are .1 mF caps. They were made in Japan. Sometimes he uses .47 mF to darken up guitars for customers but the reissues and the original Danelectros had the same .1 mF caps. The pickups have Alnico 4 magnets in them.

10. gswallow

gswallow Member

Wow! The beat goes on...

Was trying to figure this out back in 2010 (your link to other thread) and then my Danelectro was stolen. Along wite the Dan-O went a Fender acoustic (used to test my acoustic pickup), and our TV. Dan-O is all that was found. Police kept it for more than year. Once again at home it is now without the serial number. Anyway...

You seem to have proven an assumption I made about the U-3 as incorrect. I was assuming parallel when using two pickups and series only with the blow switch. No wonder my attempts did not work.

My Double Neck 6/12 uses two tone/volume pots for individual pickup adjustments in pairs/single as selected with a 2T3P switch (neck, neck+bridge, bridge). My mod uses a 4 pole 6 position rotary in place of the pickup switch so I can add a acoustic pickup (neck, neck+bridge, bridge, bridge+acoustic, acoustic, acoustic+neck). I switch both wires from all pickups with the rotary to feed the two vol/tone pots in parallel. Unfortunately this does not lend itself well to have a series blow switch mingled in. At least not with my limited experience.

Would like to know if you got your design to work? I have not yet started to re-wire my Dan-O and figure I might be able to come up with something that accomplishes what I hope to accomplish.

11. chataran

chataran Member

Hi
    Is it possible to get a copy of the danelectro dc 3 / u3 wiring diagram please !

Chataran

12. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member