• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Danelectro Drive vs OCD Video Shout Out

saltysnail

I own the cool cat drive. I think the ocd sounds "fuller" and has a little less of the harshness that the drive ocasionally does, but for $25, I couldn't say no to the danelectro. If I had 130 to spend on an overdrive, I'd have bought the ocd, but I didn't.

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
I have both and although there are some similarities, they sound a lot different in person. The Dano Drive is not amplike like the OCD (lacks the sag/feel) and has a tighter/thinner bottom end much like a straight up distortion pedal. It also doesn't have the touch sensitivity of the OCD and will not clean up nearly as well w/ the guitar's volume knob. I like the Drive for what it is, but it can't replace my OCD.

I have both and although there are some similarities, they sound a lot different in person. The Dano Drive is not amp like like the OCD (lacks the sag/feel) and has a tighter/thinner bottom end much like a straight up distortion pedal. It also doesn't have the touch sensitivity of the OCD and will not clean up nearly as well w/ the guitar's volume knob. I like the Drive for what it is, but it can't replace my OCD.
This pretty much is how I feel about the Timmy/TOD pedal I own. The TOD is Timmy "inspired" and great for what it is, but it cannot out Timmy a Timmy so to speak.

What version of OCD do you have?

Thanks for the post,
TG

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
This pretty much how I feel about the Timmy/TOD pedal I own. The TOD is Timmy "inspired" and great for what it is, but it cannot out Timmy a Timmy so to speak.

What version of OCD do you have?

Thanks for the post,
TG
Mine is a v4. I should also mention that the Drive won't stack as well w/ other boosts such as my Germania. I think the OCD does well w/ stacking due to its amplike qualities. I haven't used a Timmy, but if I ever get one, I reckon I'll go w/ the real deal.

thirsty one

Silver Supporting Member
Hey Gearmanndude,

Thanks for the vids. All your vids are fun to watch and extremely informative.:AOK

Mine is a v4. I should also mention that the Drive won't stack as well w/ other boosts such as my Germania. I think the OCD does well w/ stacking due to its amplike qualities.
My dano drive sounds good but the top end can be a bit fizzy into a clean amp, its mids "blanket" my amp a bit, and the low end is lacking. It sounds better stacked into the Timmy. A good pedal for sure, but not good enough for what I want it for (mostly into a clean amp at low volumes, taking over from the Timmy as I cross over from low gain to medium low gain).

Your description suggests that the OCD makes up for all the deficiencies cited above.

TG

FUSER

I have both and although there are some similarities, they sound a lot different in person. The Dano Drive is not amplike like the OCD (lacks the sag/feel) and has a tighter/thinner bottom end much like a straight up distortion pedal. It also doesn't have the touch sensitivity of the OCD and will not clean up nearly as well w/ the guitar's volume knob. I like the Drive for what it is, but it can't replace my OCD.
After listening to it a few more times at louder volumes, I think you may have a point about it being different when you are actually playing it. Only the player knows about subtle aspects of tone like touch sensitivity or amp like sag.

As a listener, There is a oh so slight difference in bass in favor of OCD.
You have to pay very close attention. Other than that it was same for me.

Hugo Da Rosa

Gold Supporting Member
In terms of the comparison videos that this guy makes and the two controversy pedals (ie. Timmy/TOD and the OCD/Drive), I believe this pedal is much more like the OCD than the TOD is to the Timmy. The Timmy has a lot more sparkle to it than the TOD - as close as they sound already. The Drive and OCD on the other hand sound almost identical. To the point where if I did a blind test, I really wouldn't be able to tell them apart. I'm sure there are some details in the OCD model that the Drive can't do but hey...you can't deny that it's pretty close.

rob2001

OK, I had an OCD V2 and sold it. I want another OCD. I did a blind listening test and picked the OCD hands down. Even with bad computer speakers and an MP3 type clip, I can hear somthing far sweeter happening in the OCD thats not there with the Dano. I wanted to like the Dano, i'm a cheapskate, but i'll hold out for another OCD. Even if I bought the Dano, I know dam well i'd be thinking I might be missing somthing with the OCD.

ibzmav

I too have both. But when compared on actual testing, both pedals are entirely different. The Dano still sounds cheap & transistory.

aziltz

will all the fuss that TGP made about the TO, i'm very surprised that fuller hasn't sued dano.... but then again, the OCD is just a tweaked Voodoo Lab, which is a replica of an even older circuit...

rob2001

I too have both. But when compared on actual testing, both pedals are entirely different. The Dano still sounds cheap & transistory.

Thats what I heard even in the demo. The OCD remained full and beefy on the sustained notes, the Dano seemed to vaporize and get thin. I could only imagine that being a bigger issue actually playing them as opposed to hearing a computer clip.

The OCD and Timmy are incredible pedals. I'm sure Dano will sell a bunch of pedals but when the dust settles, the cream will rise to the top. I only hope people don't buy these cheap knockoffs with the intention of seeing what the real deal is like, not liking them, and never trying the real ones.

FWIW, i'm not a boutique fanboy. Right now my rig is a JCM 800, a modded boss sd-1 and a Teese wah. I had, and sold an OCD and I will buy another one. I may have considered the Dano if the sound was up to par. To my ears, it fell short. Just callin it like I hear it.

jaywalker

I took a board featuring 5 drives to a studio at the weekend, the producer knows nothing about the controversy, he immediately chose the CCD over a drivemaster, OD3, TS9 and my amps drive. He's never heard of fulltone and the OCD, and didn't even know danelectro made pedals.

To those who don't know what's going on behind the scenes, the CCD is simply an excelent drive.

mfgobbi

I have played both, they can be set to sound very similar indeed. My suspect is that many (not all) manifestations that they are VERY different, have to do with the so much talked about "power of denial"...

triviani

Silver Supporting Member
I've never tried the OCD, but i picked today a Dano Drive and it has a damm good sound!

In Japan the Coolcat is 3.500 Yen and the OCD is +24.000 Yen, quite a jump in price..

Trending Topics