Danelectro effects pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Strat58, May 12, 2008.

1. Strat58

Strat58 Member

HI I was looking on the website and those effects sounds pretty good, all TB and metal jacks. Man I think I am going to get me some of those pedals, rehouse them and play with them.
    Peace Strat58

2. CentralScrutini

CentralScrutini Member

Danelectro makes a ton of great sounding pedals for cheap. I have yet to play one of the plastic mini ones that didn't sound damn good for the money, and some of them juts sound damn good period.

3. armoredfist316

armoredfist316 Member

There are a few that sound great. I used to want to rehouse them because I hate how they look, but the small enclosures fit in the small places on your board where you couldn't put anything else. You can actually fit 2 of them in a spot the size of most single pedals.

4. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I love the PB&J & Chicken Salad mini-effects - I keep a mini-Dano EQ in my possibles bag for just in case - it seldom sees the gigboard, but it has saved my ass more than once (tonally speaking). Great stuff for cheap.

5. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

I've been on a Danelectro kick lately. It started with an ongoing surf obsession, which inspired the purchase of the Spring King (which is huge but awesome). Then I got all nostalgic and decided to purchase the two other metal Danos I used to own - the Daddy-O and Cool Cat.

When I was a noob I put chorus all over every song I wrote. I don't really use chorus anymore, but the CC is still a pretty sounding chorus that can be had cheaply (mine was $35 shipped). The real reason I bought it was to see if I could get pitch vibrato by sticking a dummy cable into the stereo out jack. And it worked. $35 well spent.

The Daddy-O is something else. I like the basic tone of it, but the actual overdrive is very fizzy in an interesting way. I could see using it for some kind of post rock project. The Monte Allums mod removes 95% of the weird fizzle, and turns it into a more conventional-sounding, gritty overdrive. It's a clone of the Marshall Guv'nor, by the way.

Anyway, some people think they're ugly, but I think they look cool. But I like that 50's aesthetic. Rectangular hammond boxes look a bit dull by comparison.

6. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

the dano mini series is serious bang for buck. these jacks, AND switches, however. . . . not so great. . . though i haven't had one fail yet. . . .

the dano tuna melt is my FAVORITE tremolo. keep your empress. . . your anything else for that matter. i just don't lust for that stuff at all. once i heard BOTH the round warble AND the chop chop copter trem sounds out of this thing. . . i was in love. some folks want more than that. . . . i never got THAT much out of my deluxe!!!!

the chicken salad is excellent. for some, it is their favorite cheapo-vibe. i'm not sure. . . . i usually prefer a phase instead of it. . . but not always. a keeper for life . . . .

the french toast is a total foxx rip-off. it sounds damn good!!!! if you want to get a darn good feel for that sound and find out how little you actually use it!!!! it is the best bang-for buck octavefuzz out there. it DOES show its weaknesses against the big boys though (chicago iron, etc. . . . )
    i like the chili dog octave.

those be the ones i have. . . . .but i'll get 'em all oneday. . . at 15 bucks apiece when that store round me goes nuts once a year. . . . .

7. 155

155 Supporting Member

eq is the bomb cheap and exactly the same as a boss or mxr, pbj good too

8. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I had the slapback delay mini pedal. It sounded really good, but the switch simply didn't work sometimes.

9. sgs

sgs Member

+1 on the Tuna Melt! Also, if you do the unity gain mod, the Rocky Road Leslie is a spankin' little pedal...

10. amphead777

amphead777 Member

There's a guy on the Toyz forum, that reboxes Dano's. True bypass and artwork inc.. Don't remember his name. I'll look for it.

11. hb_nz

hb_nz Member

Try opening it up and spraying some CRC 5-56 or other contact cleaner into the switch. If the switch is cutting out occasionally it's quite likely to be some dust or something in the contacts. My PB&J had the same problem and a spray sorted it out.

Is there any definite word on when the new pedals are actually hitting the shelves?

12. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

I have a bunch of the new ones coming in a few weeks. If anyone is wanting several I am offering buy 4 get 1 free. These new pedals look really cool.

13. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Really like the DanEcho. As for the little ones, the French Toast is a gas.