1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Danelectro Fab series

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sgguitarzz, Jul 29, 2006.

1. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Member

Earlier this week I asked about the Arion series of pedals. Now I was hoping some people could give me their opinions on the Danelectro Fab series of pedals. I heard a few sound clips and they sould pretty good especially at this price. what do you all think?

2. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Member

3. alnico2

alnico2 Member

The D1 distortion sounds a lot like a Rat to me. The bass response is a little weak. Nice sounding pedal for $15.

4. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

For the money, which is next to nothing, you really can't beat the FAB Distortion or the Overdrive, although I would look for the older, discontinued, Daddy-O Overdrive or original Fabtone Distortion (in the larger metal enclosures). I've seen them go for comparable, if a little higher, sums used or on ebay - they are actually quite good...IMHO...
    -cheers

5. pfflam

pfflam Member

The metal Fab Tone is a very good Ultra Fuzz EXCEPT that the knob goes from zero to absolute Gain/distortion without any sensitivity or inbetween . . . and this is common with other people's experience as well. . . . so if all you want is absolutely intense all-out distortion (and it really gives a pretty decent grindy noisy crunch) then its a good pedal . . . . and cheap on eBay . . . I just sold one awhile back . . . wanted sensitivity and I said to myself: I can get another one later for cheap . . .

6. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

I got the FAB distortion. Not bad for $15, but it has a tendency to sound pretty harsh.

7. D.G.

D.G. Member

The distortion is good with humbuckers, too bright (for my tastes/rig) with singles. The flanger is quite nice, except for a large amount of hiss that ramps up at the top of the sweep. The chorus is the best of the lot, with a very nice blend knob. It won't knock a good analog chorus off your board, but still...

8. Jack

Jack Member

+1 on Fab Distortion. Also, the FAB Chorus is worth a deuce. I don't think it's analog, but it's pretty good. I don't use a lot of chorus (couple of songs), and I don't have the $ for boutique chorus. I'm gigging with this thing now and it's fine-especially for the $. I think it sounds a good bit warmer than the Danelectro Cool Cat.

9. theelectic

theelectic Guest

FYI if you want to find an even cheaper option, the old metal case Fabtone = DOD FX69 Grunge copy.