Danelectro Fab series

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sgguitarzz, Jul 29, 2006.

1. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

Earlier this week I asked about the Arion series of pedals. Now I was hoping some people could give me their opinions on the Danelectro Fab series of pedals. I heard a few sound clips and they sould pretty good especially at this price. what do you all think?

2. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

3. alnico2

alnico2 Member

The D1 distortion sounds a lot like a Rat to me. The bass response is a little weak. Nice sounding pedal for $15.

4. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

For the money, which is next to nothing, you really can't beat the FAB Distortion or the Overdrive, although I would look for the older, discontinued, Daddy-O Overdrive or original Fabtone Distortion (in the larger metal enclosures). I've seen them go for comparable, if a little higher, sums used or on ebay - they are actually quite good...IMHO...
    -cheers

5. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

The metal Fab Tone is a very good Ultra Fuzz EXCEPT that the knob goes from zero to absolute Gain/distortion without any sensitivity or inbetween . . . and this is common with other people's experience as well. . . . so if all you want is absolutely intense all-out distortion (and it really gives a pretty decent grindy noisy crunch) then its a good pedal . . . . and cheap on eBay . . . I just sold one awhile back . . . wanted sensitivity and I said to myself: I can get another one later for cheap . . .

6. tfunster

tfunster Silver Supporting Member

I got the FAB distortion. Not bad for $15, but it has a tendency to sound pretty harsh.

7. D.G.

D.G. Member

The distortion is good with humbuckers, too bright (for my tastes/rig) with singles. The flanger is quite nice, except for a large amount of hiss that ramps up at the top of the sweep. The chorus is the best of the lot, with a very nice blend knob. It won't knock a good analog chorus off your board, but still...

8. Jack

Jack Member

+1 on Fab Distortion. Also, the FAB Chorus is worth a deuce. I don't think it's analog, but it's pretty good. I don't use a lot of chorus (couple of songs), and I don't have the $ for boutique chorus. I'm gigging with this thing now and it's fine-especially for the $. I think it sounds a good bit warmer than the Danelectro Cool Cat.

9. theelectic

theelectic Guest

FYI if you want to find an even cheaper option, the old metal case Fabtone = DOD FX69 Grunge copy.