Danelectro -- How does one intonate these ***#s?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mediocreplayer, Dec 22, 2009.

1. mediocreplayer

mediocreplayer Member

I got a new Dano '67 which sounds, looks, and feels super. But I can't get it to intonate. In fact, there is nothing I can do to make it intonate because it has a rosewood saddle and that's it. Any fellow Dano owners with any insights? I know about the replacement intonatable bridges, but is there a way to just fix this? It's very frustrating!

2. Strat

Strat Member

it's a feature, not a bug !!!!

Luke Gibson likes this.
  3. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

As good as they sound, there's a reason why many recent Dano models have not stuck with the rosewood saddle.

4. funkmaster

funkmaster Member

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  5. mediocreplayer

mediocreplayer Member

So it can't be done. That blows. I am in love with this (orange!) guitar.

Does the replacement bridges (or the bridges on the new models) make a (huge) difference in the sound?

6. David Collins

David Collins Member

The replacement bridges are a great option. For those who prefer to stay with the original style (part of the Dano-Mojo), I've cut a few custom compensated rosewood saddles. It's not that big of a deal.

7. mediocreplayer

mediocreplayer Member

That's fine, but will I be able to do this even? This bridge is a bit different than on other non-trem Danos, with the spring under the bridge, etc.

8. gill

gill Member

I just ordered a new rosewood bridge with a notched saddle from ebay for my late 60's convertible. Hope this helps with the intonation (and tone) a bit. It's a fun guitar to play acoustically while feeling like an electric.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  9. D.G.

D.G. Member

Take the guitar to a good repair shop and have them re-shape or replace the saddle. I did that on a longhorn I had and it worked out fine.

10. jimmyz02

jimmyz02 Member

Have you seen the tele type bridge on Jeffsenn site under cjtooling?

11. mediocreplayer

mediocreplayer Member

I looked it up on their website. Pretty cool. Thanks for pointing me to that. However, if I am going to do a bridge replacement, I'd rather put one of the bridges with a saddle for each string to get rid of the intonation issue once and for all.

12. Fauxkinbacker

Fauxkinbacker Member

It was designed to work with heavy gauge sets with a wound 3rd - all they had back in the 50s. My 3 Danos intonate perfectly with a set of 11-gauge flats. For light strings you probably would have to get a notched saddle.

13. funkmaster

funkmaster Member

Are you trying to tell me thicker gauge strings intonate better than regular ones? Does that rule apply to acoustic guitars as well? :dunno

14. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

its not really about string thickness, and more about the wound 3rd. you can get a wound 3rd on a 10-46 set if you want.

15. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Wound third is the way. Of course, you'll be tuning to DADGAD, in true Dano way.

Luke Gibson likes this.
  16. Alvis

Alvis Member

I suppose it's a good opportunity to learn some guitar mechanics.
    When I worked in Subway we used to make compensated brass saddles for Danos.
    I never liked those much and made mine of Bone ,maple or rosewood
    I don't think I've used one of those adjustable saddle bridges on guitar yet ,but I used one on a bass . I like those well enough

17. gill

gill Member

Just an update to anyone interested. I installed the bridge and there is definately an improvement IMO. The ebay seller's name is mamadont.
    Im using 9 on my Dano now only because I had them lying around and use 10' or 11's on my other guitars. I think I'm gonna try 11's soon--hope all remains stable with the neck

18. lucioloud

lucioloud Member

Hey there guys,

I've got one of the CJ Tooling bridges with rosewood adjustable saddles that are great on Danos for sale.

It's a really well made product, but didn't work out for my Dano.

CJ sells them for $65, so message me with a reasonable offer and it's yours. In like new condition

19. erksin

erksin Member

It can totally be done. It's more intonateable than an acoustic and those intonate just fine, dont they?

I marked the location on mine with a thin strip of scotch tape so it's easy to set it up after a string change.

Those bridges are as integral to the sound of those guitars as the pickups or aluminum nut or the Masonite body. The steel saddle bridges sound awful, IMO.

Trust Nate - he knew what he was doing. :cool: