Danelectro mini-pedals: are they all that?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by david henman, May 18, 2006.

1. david henman

david henman Member

...i am constantly seeing players raving about the danelectro mini-effects, which i admit to having never tried. the buzz is loud and omnipresent.

is it because they really are amazing pedals, or because they are so cheap.

-dh

2. thebot

thebot Member

The tuna melt holds up, never mind the price.

3. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Agreed - i think it sounds great!

I have no experience with any of the others though...

Brian

4. bluesmagoo

bluesmagoo Member

The chicken salad and fish and chips are very good pedals.

5. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

The tuna melt is well worth the trouble rehousing. With real jacks, switches and pots it's great. Tthe chicken salad is a great poor mans univibe complete with lopsided wave. ( think the end of BOOM BOOM by Pat Travers. live version) Just needs to be run before distortion and can be alittle whooshy. ...And the PB&J is a sweet echo when the long setting is used. Those three pedals have lasted me through over 100 gigs flawlessly in the last couple of years.
    The Grilled cheese and French toast have some uses as well. I found the tuner (useless), phaser, reverb and octave to be pretty weak compared to moderate priced counterparts.

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have the slap back echo which sounds great. Should have kept the eq pedal and should have bought the leslie type pedal. I'm a boutique snob and I like these pedals. One thing with my delay is if the battery gets low it will create a ringing feedback type tone. Some people have complained their pedals were broken, I'm wondering if the batteries were just bad. Anyway, good stuff out of three above for sure.

7. WildWestMatt

WildWestMatt Member

I think they're great for the money. the sound quality on a few is up to par with Boss-level effects, but I question the build quality. I'm on my third french toast currently. Then again, the sound is killer for the money.

8. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

i have the tuna melt, good pedal, my one problem and this is only one is the footswitch never seem to want to be turned off without great force. i know that some people complain about the knobs being so small and its noisy but i would say this pedal is quieter than my boss and a mere bug when compared to my ehx big muff!

9. drolling

drolling Member

It's no secret that most of them are 'clones' of classic effects. I had a bunch of them, and they did sound very, very good. The Chicken Salad univibe was my favorite, but the P,B and J 2 speed delay and the Chili Dog low octave doubler are great, too.

But you do get what you pay for. They're very fragile and the mini-pots have plastic shafts that can be sheared off quite easily - later issue pedals came with a snap-on plastic guard that helps prevent mashing the knobs w/your feet.

And the buffers are terrible. They really do 'suck-tone' in bypass mode. I eventually gave mine away to an impoverished former guitar student and as far as I know, they're still working fine to this day.

You might want to check out C.S. Jones' very interesting thread on re-housing and 'true-bypassing' these pedals.

10. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

Some of them will drain a battery in no time. The Chicken Salad is a major offender.

I like the Chili Dog (octave) and the French Toast (FOXX Tone Machine clone) best out of the ones I've tried.

11. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

+1 and +1. And the Fish n' Chips EQ is good too. The Tuna Melt tremolo is very nice. I liked the T-Bone distortion with a Vox Pathfinder, but nothing else. I pulled the Hash Browns flanger out for a demo the other night, and it was better sounding than I remembered.

I bought almost all of them to play around with between 2000-01. I had a small practice board loaded with them. Several fell apart from regular use though, they couldn't take light wear and tear....

12. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i had the rocky road a while back, picked it up on a whim, it was surprisingly pretty good, and the ramp switch was pretty cool. dont remember what i did with it though....hmmm....

13. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

I've had spectacular results in the studio with this one. It's actually on my board now, despite the fact that it DOES suck tone in bypass mode... Not as much as my stock Crybaby, though!

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

Yes I have these plus the French Toast.

These are effects and as such I use them sparingly, though the Fish and Chips is incredibly useful.

Best, Pete.

15. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I was demoing it with my Union Station pedal - see the Pedalboard Junction thread in the Manufacturer's forum. With the Hash Browns in the bypass loop, it was gig worthy.

16. Craise

Craise Member

I've avoided them for years...but finally got a Chicken Salad. Wow...pretty nice sounding pedal to my ears. As with any buffered pedal..once you start adding too many, they suck more and more tone. So using 1 or 2 on a board with mostly true bypass pedals would be fine...imho. I've heard worse bypass for sure. For a step up check out the Guyatone minis, they are built a little better. But don't have as many flavors....I wish they would come out with more! If Guyatone added true bypass switching and more flavors they would rule the world!

17. Jack

Jack Member

+1 on Tuna Melt. I'm not a big tremolo freak, so this thing does all I ever need. The compressor, to me, was lackluster but not bad, I'm really uptight about compression though, so someone else might find it useful. I think it's an MXR Dynacomp clone.