Danelectro... My, how you've changed!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by suckamc, Jun 3, 2008.

1. suckamc

suckamc Member

Has anyone else heard the new Danelectro pedals? Was anyone else as shocked as I was? I've played a few of them now, and I can't believe the sound quality of these things. To say the very least, they have put BOSS on notice. Having played a handful of the new Dano's, I can't think of a single comparable Boss pedal that comes remotely close, and the Dano's are like $50 and under! And the ones I played can definitely hang with high dollar pedals, as well. And the Tremolo is CRAZY GOOD. It's kind of unfair to point out how "great for the money" they are, since they're GREAT PERIOD.

So it got me thinking, what's another company that went from making pretty decent stuff, to positively killer stuff? That seems to be a rare path to take... so much so that I can't think of another example. I mean, I'm sure there are examples in the car industry, but in the musical instruments realm??? Doesn't everyone typically cut corners as manufacturing and parts get more expensive? Or at least jack up their prices.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  2. Garage Dog

Garage Dog Member

Suckamc,DE seems like one of the few companies that are on top of what the market wants as far as true bypass and sturdier pedals.Their sales department really did their homework.Their food products weren't all that bad other than their buffers and enclosures.
    EHX also jumped on the true bypass and smaller enclosures also.
    BBE small enclosures & true bypass.
    MXR seems to be going this route also.
    I am surprised that Boss hasn't answered the call with a boutique line of pedals yet or decided to go true bypass.I guess this might send the message that their buffers weren't up to par.Go figure:agree

3. suckamc

suckamc Member

I like the look of them, but that's all secondary to me. True bypass is also not the very biggest deal. The tone coming out of the things is what counts most. The ones I played have that.

4. qatcat

qatcat Member

I have to say I've been totally impressed.

The transparent OD is as good as your 150-200 dollar OD's out there. I've moved it to the board and it took the place of an expensive OD that resided there for about 3 years. The thing that has really impressed me is the how tight the pedal sounds. The controls aren't the easiest to work but I amost prefer that because once you get it set( and all settings on this pdal are pretty damn good) you don't have to worry about moving it. Anway I find it amazing on how good this sounds. You all need to check it out. For 49 bucks it's a no brainer.

The chorus is another pedal I can't get over. I'll go ahead and say for me this sounds better than my Boss CE-2 Keeley modded pedal. It is fuller and chimier. You can get a nice leslie sound form this guy too. Don't use the chorus too much but this chorus kicks ass.

The metal pedal is another good one. It's Metallica in a $49 box. I don't play metal but I've had fun with this. It screams..

If you guys know me you know I've been through a million different pedals. I can't say any I've ever had have been bad. Some work better for me than others all had some good qualities. these pedals generally cost over $150. Many cost $200-$400. To get a comparible pedal to these boutique pedals for $40-$60 bucks is mind boggling. I ain't going to tell you these are better... Comparible? heck yeah!!!

Nice job Dano!

Check em out, you won't be sorry

5. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

Boss probably sells more pedals per year than the 10 largest boutique companies combined. I doubt they're worried.

6. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

Definitely looking forward to trying them out!

7. charmboy

charmboy Member

People used to have that attitude when talking about Ford and GM; Now they're closing all of their SUV and Truck plants... Not to get political, but if the giants don't pay attention to consumer interest, they will eventually pay the price.

8. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

The reason Boss is successful is due to their marketing and the fact that they've been around a long time IMO. They make decent stuff, but the newer models really aren't that great, especially their OD's.

9. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

Which models are you referring to? I checked the website and see the "FAB" series for $19, the Mini series with the stupid food names, and the original series, with the cool cat and fabtone etc. I know the original series and minis have been out for a few years now, so when you say "new" are you referring to something else?

10. burythemisery

burythemisery Member

i wish dano would have a more variety of "other" effects. like a pitch shifter or something more creative and/or versatile. i love em either - who cares about the crappy food names....it's kinda unique

11. qatcat

qatcat Member

http://www.coolcattone.com/

these are the new ones. Should be available any day now.. The older ones were cool for the price.

12. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi and remember not everybody wants a TB pedal, a starter needs a nice OD or distortion and thats what Boss delivers. The pro musican wants his own tone and feel and look into boutique pedals, but not all guitarplayers are pro's.
    Dan is trying to get into that market, the market of beginners and non pro guitarplayers, the future will tell what happens.
    Peace Strat58

13. 73171

73171 Member

I want one of the new Cool Cat Vibes....haven't found one in stock anywhere yet..............

14. suckamc

suckamc Member

Yeah, and that's the difference here. These new ones are killer PERIOD, no matter how good a player you are. AND they just so happen to be really cheap.

15. Garage Dog

Garage Dog Member

16. richey88

richey88 Member

Anyone have a link to that guy who re-houses the "food" series pedals in metal boxes? Thanks! I have a Chicken Salad on the way and was thinking about re-housing it. I use the Fish n Chips EQ lots, and wish I still had the Milkshake chorus. Loved that 'lil plastic box! Can wait to try out a Transparent OD now, should make a good boost huh?

17. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

These look to be available at www.guitarfiles.com (no affiliation); I've just ordered the Transparent OD ($38.99). The vibe is in stock as well.

18. nnick

nnick Member

The chorus sounds good!

19. qatcat

qatcat Member

you're going to dig it! for 38 bucks you're then going to shake your head like I did and still do..

20. mojovibes

mojovibes Member

not that it matters too much at this price, still I'm wondering are those analogue or DSP/digital thingies ?
    they do sound too good to be true, but than again a lot of digital things sound OK but feel too cold , if that makes any sense ?

anyone knows ?

Thanks,
    Dean