Danelectro Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Digby, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Digby

Digby Senior Member

Any Danelectro Fab series pedal users? I'm on a budget and wondering if they are worth a flip.

Digby

2. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

I had the red Fab Tone distortion pedal at one time...it wasn't bad at all. I was able to get some quite decent tones out of it. Not bad for a budget pedal at all...

Cheers.

3. Digby

Digby Senior Member

Sort of damning it with faint praise it would seem.

I'm looking into the chorus specifically.

Thanks though.

Digby

4. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

I've tried them all - the choris was really nice - give it a try!

5. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Sorry...guess I didn't quite convey what my reaction to the pedal was. In short, I liked the pedal quite a bit...was able to get some great bite out of it to boost solos...I just sold it (a budget pedal afterall) later on to move up the budget ladder a bit. Didn't want it to be faint praise at all nor did I intend to damn the pedal. In fact, I even thought it had nice aesthetics to it. It was metal, had some weight to it, and a cool retro look.

Anyway, hope a Danelectro chorus works for you...good luck.

Cheers.

6. Digby

Digby Senior Member

Rubbersoul, V-Verb and Gtrwrks,

Thank you all very much. I appreciate all of the information you offered.

Digby

7. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Digby,

Anytime! Check these out - the new Banelectro pedals with steel casing and true bypass.

http://www.coolcattone.com/chorus.html

I'll probably snag a couple in the series.

Cheers

Nigel

8. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I have a fab chorus. For $15 you can't go wrong. It sounds pretty good. Not noisey at all. The plastic case is the only drawback.

Scott

9. Digby

Digby Senior Member

Yeah, I have seen these. Although I'm not against plastic cases (FAB) and I agree with Scott, at those prices, you can't go wrong. I'm still thinking that for few dollars more to have steel cases and TB it might be silly not to go the Coolcat route. The CC series doesn't exceed about fifty bucks from what I've been told. I'll have to find out for sure.

Thanks again to everyone for helping out with my question.

Digby

10. Kalik

Kalik Member

I have the Fab Echo.
    It's really a good sounding pedal for the price, it sounds really vintage rock'n'rolly bluesy psychedelic.
    I like it.

11. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars

Yep, at the $15 price throw it away if you happen to smash the case. I will say the case isn't going to get smashed unless you do something rediculous. It's pretty well engineered structurally. It's still not cast iron or steel, but again it's $15. If you don't let a horse :horsestomp it, it'll be just fine ;).

Fab Overdrive is a great pedal too!

12. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I've got the Fab Chorus, Flange, Echo, and Overdrive and I think they all sound really great. I find it hard to believe how good they sound for the money. They don't suck tone, although the bypasses are buffered, and the knobs are pretty well protected 'cause they're at the back rather than on the top like the "food-named" series. The switches also seem pretty sturdy as long you don't jump on them.

The Chorus is analog (I believe) and actually better sounding than the CE-5 Boss Ensemble I used to own. The Fab Chorus has a late 70s, early 80s vibe to it as does the Flanger which is nice for Van Halen type sounds.

The Overdrive is a real winner. It's a take off of the Tubescreamer and I set it up to run on my dirty channel as a preamp boost by dialing out all the gain and turning the level up. With the right amp and some dirt already provided by your dirty channel it really sounds like a Marshall JMP or JCM800 cranked. Cool early 80s Judas Preist tones on tap. And this OD has some serious volume boosting power. Unity gain is achieved at about 30% of the knob traverse and the rest is all boost.

The Fab Echo is also a sweet pedal with a really retro vibe. You can do some faux Fender-esque reverb by turing up the feedback knob or you can get authentic slapback by cranking the mix and leaving the feedback knob on zero for a single discrete repeat. Very cool for rockabilly and surf stuff.

I've owned lots effects since I started playing 20 years ago, DOD, Boss, Morley, Marshall etc and I can tell you these Fab pedals sound like they should be worth more. Some worry about the plastic casing but If you mount them to a board and don't go silly these should last a while. If not they're so cheap you can just simply buy a replacement.

Best to run them off a power supply though; as they like to chew through batteries. You can pick up some nice 9v adapters these days for pretty cheap that will run a lot of pedals at once and they pay for themselves in no time when you compare it to the cost of battery expenses.

13. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

The Fabtone absolutely rocks. It's perfect for running into a slightly overdrived amp channel. I really alters the sound in a buzzy, mid-scooped way, and you can also dial in a low freq thump. It also has more than enough gain for solos into a clean channel. I like to run it with the gain all the way down. It kinda reminds me of Brad Gillis in Night Ranger.

I use it more than my Pete Cornish SS-3, Fuzz Factory and OCD.

14. stratocaster

stratocaster Member

I have 3 of the Dano Fab range, overdrive, chorus, distortion.

Personnally i found the o/d a little dark and overcompressed for my taste, definately not a bad o/d, just not to my taste.

The chorus is great, i found it to be quite lush and vintage sounding, really thickens up the sound of a strat/tele or does a nice replication of a 12 string.

The distortion is my main distortion, i like it that much, clean boost through light overdrive to nice vintage distortion, very warm and musical, not hard and harsh like some modern units.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, ignore the internet scare mongers, they may be plastic but you ain't gonna break it by standing on it.

15. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

I owned three Daddy-O overdrives at once. They have a cool sound. They're an LED based overdrive/distortion and it's said they're a near clone of the Marshall Guv'nor. I know the Clay Jones Overdrive uses LEDs for the clipping stage. They stack well with other stomps (goosed with a TS-9!!) and they're cheap! The heavy, die-cast housing is a plus. Use a 10 volt supply for juicier sound.

16. cmacalpine

cmacalpine Member

i have the flange and truthfully, i really like it. price, notwithstanding, it is a damn nice piece of gear.