Danelectro reverb mod

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cbmccarthy, Dec 20, 2009.

1. cbmccarthy

cbmccarthy Member

Good evening, gentlemen.

I was fortunate enough in my most recent visit to a local pawnshop to find two steals on pedals: a Guyatone OD-2 for $13 and a Danelectro Mini Corned Beef Reverb for $5.

I could not be more happy with the Guyatone. It gives me great tubescreamer-esque overdrive when I decide to play through my Roland.

But the Dano pedal does not impress one bit. Are there any possible mods to the Corned Beef of which I'm not aware? I've scoured the Web and have been unsuccessful in my search. Was wondering if anybody has any suggestions or ideas... I don't even care what the mod is, so long as it has a chance to sound cool.

Some people say the Corned Beef is more reminiscent of a POS delay than anything that approaches reverb territory... Perhaps a delay-based mod is out there?

Cheers.

2. cbmccarthy

cbmccarthy Member

3. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

I think it depends a lot on real-estate within that little plastic case....there really isn't much of it.

4. DanR

DanR Member

I bought one brand new a couple of years ago for $20. Seemed like a great deal until I actually plugged it in. I found, like the above quote, that it sounded like a delay as opposed to reverb.

5. cbmccarthy

cbmccarthy Member

Provided I afford it more space, any ideas?

6. cbmccarthy

cbmccarthy Member

7. Philly Fuzz

Philly Fuzz Supporting Member

Since you already have a Boss FRV-1 perhaps the Dano reverb isn't really worth the effort? I've also heard it's basically more of a crappy short delay instead of reverb. It was only $5, maybe just take the loss... :dunno

BTW, how do you like the FRV-1? I'm really interested in getting one for surfy-reverb goodness....

8. cbmccarthy

cbmccarthy Member

Doesn't quite have the organic quality of the '63 but it's about as 3D as I've heard from a Boss reverb pedal. Definitely worth it. Then again, I'm not gigging right now, so my experience comes from the confines of my living room (still louder than bedroom levels, though).

And as far as the Dano pedal goes, I did initially want to just throw it in a junk box in the closet, but just thought it might be worth a little extra digging if there was a chance to experiment.

9. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

Being that it is a Digital circuit, it will be tricky and highly unlikely to tweak the overall reverb effect. I'm sure, however, you can improve the buffer to eliminate some tone suck, install higher quality jacks and switches, and lift the board mounted trimpots to some traditional alpha pots...all of this could be possible if you move the board to a new enclosure.

The cost of a new raw enclosure would eclipse the price of the pedal. If you really want to explore it, perhaps talk to Daniel Zink (danielzink.com)...he does mods to the Chicken Salad and may be familiar with what can be stretched.

10. cbmccarthy

cbmccarthy Member

Thanks for the info, as I've never heard of Mr. Zink before. I may just give it a shot.