1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Danelectro / Silvertone Love Thread

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by johneeeveee, Jan 15, 2008.

1. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

Hey All,
    I know there are a few of you folks out there that dig the masonite and lipstick tube tone. They are my favorite guitars and I'd love to see some pics and such from anyone else around here that has cool old Danos or Silvertones in their collection.

Here's a couple (lousy) pics of some of the clean examples from Neptune that I own and play:

Danelectro's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silvertone's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Peace - jv

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. Alvis

Alvis Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reissue bari morphed into a bass
    [​IMG]

3. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

Hey Alvin,
    That's a cool Dano "Companion" model in the second pic. Kind of a cross between a deluxe and a convertible, huh? I've seen them around but never played one.

By the way, I'm a fan of your work. I'm not a traditional blues player, per se, but dig the tones and vibe of all that stuff. I think we're both fans of Todd Cambio's Fraulini acoustic guitars as well. I acquired one of his little Schmidt style "Erma" parlors last year, and it's one of my favorites.

Nice to meet you and thanks for sharing - jv

4. Rick51

Rick51 Member

Had a doubleneck bass and six string in the seventies. $50.00 pawnshop buy. I used it for a few songs sometimes just for the novelty. Real uncomfortable to play.

5. Alvis

Alvis Member

I never knew what it was called ,yeah it's a convertible thickness with no hole

Im not a traditional blues player either,just the role that's been assigned to me by the powers that be

I have the 3rd 12 string that Todd made .It was actually my wife who gave Todd a ton of useful 12 string information he needed to get going

6. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

I'll bet that was uncomfortable to play, not to mention what dragging a case around for that thing would have been like :) They sure do look great, though.

Well, whatever you want to call it Alvin, I dig it. You play great. I dug what Chris Whitley and folks like that did with the form too.

I don't play 12 string, but when guys like you get one humm'in, I love that sound.

That Companion is a pretty rare guitar that you don't see all that often. If it has the sort of "resonator" like tone that my Convertible has, along with the versatility of 2 pups, I'll bet it's a great one.

Peace - jv

7. Doodad

Doodad Member

Yeah, we have a Hodad and a baritone. No great shakes, but fun for awhile.

8. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

At one point I had four Silvertone/Danos, three just like the one on the left and one like the one in the middle. With upgraded tuners and a bone nut, they were fantastic guitars.

[​IMG]

I plan to check out all their new guitars at NAMM this week. Some of their new re-issues look like a lot of fun and great bang for the buck.

9. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

It's cool that they are reissuing the amp in case models. The originals are some of my favorites. The short scale one on the left has a 1 3/4" nut and plays like buttah. They can be so random in their specs, but the one's that just come together right are fantastic.

Have fun at NAMM, Jim. I'm still interested in your acoustic amp and if it's still around when you get back I hope to have the funds.

Travel safe and enjoy - jv

10. dcmak5

dcmak5 Member

It's not an axe, but I love my Silvertone Twin Twelve amp

11. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

Yeah, I love my 1482's (I have 2, kind of like a Fender Deluxe w/a 12" speaker), and actually the amps in my two amp in case's (one 3 watter and one 5 watter with tremolo and an 8" Jensen) sound surprisingly great as well.

God bless Sears :) - jv

12. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

I have a 1959 Silvertone U1 with the coke bottle headstock. Cool guitar!

13. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

Is it one of the chocolate brown one's with the gold flecks? The pups on the early U1's seem to be in the sweet spot on the body.

It's great to see builders (like you and Jim) who appreciate these catalog guitars. They do have a charm and tone all their own.

Peace - jv

14. Antero

Antero Member

God yes. Such an amazing sound.

15. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

In my line of work I go to people's houses and I always ask them if they have any old guitars. About a year ago, a couple told me that they did, that it had been in the basement for years, and that I could have it!

Turned out to be a '62 Silvertone 1448 w/ the amp case. Still works and it sounds much better than I thought it would. Not in mint condition as the years in the basement took its toll, but decent. The action is real high, which makes it a great candidate for slide.

Here are a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. joefender

joefender Member

I picked up this Convertible about a year ago. It still needs a few parts to be complete. I'm having trouble settling on a set of tuners. They all seem to be too long for the thickness of the headstock. The Companion in Alvis' pics is one of the few guitars I've seen (like my Converible) with a single screw holding the tail-piece.

[​IMG]

17. erksin

erksin Member

My 1958 Shorthorn:

[​IMG]

18. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

Yes it is chocolate brown but no flecks. The pup is right in the middle and it does sound killer!

I am going to have to get myself a copper colored one someday. :D

19. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

Yeah... as you can see, I'm a fan of the copper finish. I actually do have a Silvertone U1 with the dolphin headstock in copper. It's a bit of a project, in that the finish is pretty worn, and it needs a tuner. I plan on working on it and getting it up and playing. I'll post some pics. It has a great neck and a strong pup, so although it doesn't look great, it sounds great.

To those that wrote and asked about the lap steel: Yeah, it's pretty rare I guess. Dano didn't make very many of them in the late 50's. The lipstick pup is a great match for slide, as many of you know. Now, if I could only find the time to get good on it :)

Peace - jv

20. dudeunitx5000

dudeunitx5000 Senior Member