Danelectro sounds better than Boutique

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gordon_Gecko, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Forget the cheesy names and the kiddie-colored plastic enclosures, the Danelectro pedals have again discombobulated my view of boutique pedals.

The Chicken Salad Vibrato... is muy excellente. I tell you what, this thing sounds 10x better than my MagicBoy I sold a few months ago. No kidding, it sounds more like a vibe than the MB, which IMO sounds like a phaser w/ a wet blanket over it. I dare to say it sounds as good as a univibe... I'd have to A/B them, but will venture to hypothesize with confidence.

The Hash Browns Flanger sounds every bit as good as any Boss or equivalent pedal on the market.

The Pepperoni Phaser... as good as a Phase 90 or Maxon PT 999.

With some looping for TB and maybe re-housing... these baby's 'll do the trick!
    GG

Insert hate-mail below------------------------------
    l
    l
    l
    V

2. jeak

jeak Member

3. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

a buddy of mine bought a danelectro overdrive for 15 bucks, and LOVES it! he thinks it's awesome...

4. jimihalen

jimihalen Active Member

My Chicken Salad is currently being rehoused...;)

5. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Yeah... actually bought Dano pedals from the council and suggestion of a TPG-acclaimed "pedal guru". He wasn't lying... the Dano's really sound great. If I had any sense of modd-ing pedals, I'd fashion one 'a them nice pedal boards of all Dano's.

Maybe Clay'll make a board for me on the cheap... What do ya say, Clay? You never know... he may... one day... perhaps in May...

Sorry, I couldn't resist... you know... Happy Gilmour and Shooter McGavin.

GG

6. Chevelle

Chevelle Member

The Tuna Melt gets a lot of use around here, and my buddy loves his French Toast.

7. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Anyone else getting hungry?? :D

8. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I have almost all of the mini pedals, but I have stopped using them. They suck tone terribly when bypassed, and they're so flimsy that modding or rehousing seems to be more trouble than it's worth, IMHO. I have seen other guys do it, but they more about what they're doing than I do!

The ones I liked best were the Pepperoni phaser, Fish & Chips eq, French Toast octave fuzz, Tuna Melt tremolo and T-Bone distortion.

9. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

I LOVE Danelectro. Bypass and build quality can be questionable, but depending how you're using them they can be very nice for not alot of scratch. Especially in a bypass or feedback loop.

I've probably been through 20+ delays in the last few years, but the one I've kept the longest and used the most is my Dano PBJ. The FishNChips is a nice eq, and IMO superior to the Boss. I'm not a fan of the DanEcho, but I like most of their 'full' size pedals as well, especially the Backtalk and Fabtone.

Check out the experimentalistsanonymous.com custom work page for some inspired PBJ rehousings/mods/bends.

10. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I picked up a Chicken Salad when they first came out and thought it sounded pretty good for what it was. I later got a Voodoo Labs Microvibe, which sounded clearer, but somewhat sterile compared to the Dano. I eventually broke down and bought a Mojo Vibe and have been very happy with it. Someday I may sell the Microvibe. I'll probably hold on to the Chicken Salad.

One thing though. My Chicken Salad will only run for a few minutes off a battery. Looking through HC reviews turns up a number of people who had the same problem. I usually have a 9v power supply I can use but not always. Have the Chicken Salad users here encountered this problem? Has anyone found a solution other than using a 9v power supply?

-Scott

11. fyler

fyler Member

i dig my pastrami. it's a little noisy, and the bypass is crappy, but for fifteen bucks, it sounds great. i don't think it would work for a gigging OD, but for something to push my home amp, it's just perfect.

12. LPSlinger

LPSlinger Member

I've got a Chicken Salad I bought used for $20 and I think it sounds pretty great for the price. It gets really close to the "Breathe" tone from Dark Side of the Moon. It is pretty amazing that for $20-$30 you can have a decent vibe pedal. The cheapest other Vibrato pedal I've seen was like $150-$200. Maybe there are others out there, but you can't beat $20.

The only worry I have is that the switch seems cheap and the plastic housing does too. I've thought about rehousing, but when I asked about it a long time ago people told me it was too difficult to do without breaking the pedal. Maybe I'll have to look into it again...I have a metal housing just laying around.

13. Wooley

Wooley Member

You should try the Cool Cat and the Dan-Echo or Reel Echo.

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

I like the Fish and Chips - I would really wouldn't I?

Best, Pete.

15. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I had an early Fabtone I really liked at one time. I think I gave it to one of the artists I produced. Do they still make them, and more importantly, do they still sound good?

16. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

Yes, and yes.

17. Bajan

Bajan Member

Yea, a buddy of mine gave me a Tuna Melt for my birthday a couple of years ago. What a great sounding trem. Aren't these things like $20.

Shane

18. trisonic

trisonic Member

Hmmm, by the sound of it I need a Chicken Salad to go with my Fish & Chips.

Anyone tried the Rocky Road? Which Fab tone btw there seems to be several different ones?

Best, Pete.

19. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

i had the rocky road for a while......pretty cool for the price....even has a ramp button........i just didnt use that effect

i remember it being a tad noisy and it was just so damn small to have 2 footswitches........i never tried another rotating speaker sim to compare it...sorry

20. trisonic

trisonic Member

You Buggers!

I just ordered a Chicken Salad - then I thought might as well get a Hash Brown as well; hmmm, Les likes the Fab Tone go for that. So bought all three for less than $90............

The thing is I'll probably only ever use them for about ninety seconds each......

Best, Pete.