Danelectro Transparent OD power plug issue

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RaistMagus, Feb 14, 2012.

1. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Member

Hi all!

I got a used Danelectro Transparent Ovedrive V2 yesterday and I'm having some trouble. When I use my 1-SPOT the pedal does operate but it's noisy as hell. I mean 'broken' noisy, not just cheap-gain-pedal-noisy. If I use a 9V battery there is no noise. My 1-SPOT and my home electricity are both fine and work with all my other pedals with no problems whatsoever.

The noise I get is something like white noise (no-signal tv) with kind of a whistle alongside. If I move/shake/rotate the pedal or mess with the jacks and power plug the noise comes and goes at random, not in a way to suggest something specific is wrong (like a bad jack). The noise is there whether I've plugged my guitar on the pedal or not.

I guess there's something wrong with the power plug of the pedal, since the battery operation is normal and my power supply is proven to be allright.

What do you guys think? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

2. groovington

groovington Member

I think you should try a different power supply. Then you'll know for sure whether its the pedal or the 1-spot. Also, 1-spots aren't really the greatest for good tone.

3. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

I bought one of those that was broken when I got it (I knew about it when purchased). It's very easy to replace if you can solder or know someone that does. That 9v DC jack just solders to a PC board.

I was worried it might have been the one I worked on, but in your PM you said yours was bought new in Greece, so I'm pretty sure it isn't. I'm in the states, it was bought here.

Let me know if you need that part number.

4. Frankenstrat86

Frankenstrat86 Supporting Member

I just got one too and was powering it with my sanyo pedal juice and was getting a big hiss. Tried it with the battery and the hiss is gone. WTF?

5. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

The one I replaced had been stepped on, while a plug was in it, and the jack broke. So, it sounds like a different problem. Mine was a v.1 Timmy copy.

Make sure your One Spot is good.

6. Frankenstrat86

I don't think its the one spot i'm having the same issue on a completely different power supply

7. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Member

I will try another power supply tomorrow but I'm sure it's not the issue. If the 1SPOT caused this noise it wouldn't sell and if the Dano TOD had this noise with less-than-200$ power supplies then it wouldn't sell as well. Sanyo pedal juice says it's the pedal, too!

"A big hiss" is an understatement here. I've heard compressors and drives hiss, but this is much worse.

Please do tell me the part number. Is it a widely available common electronics part?

8. Frankenstrat86

yea hiss is an understatment. I think I'll get this rehoused and let them now about the horrible background noise of this thing when I do, because I actually like the pedal quite a bit.

9. telecasting

telecasting Member

Ditto. I have a Soundtank power supply that's pretty poor in all honesty and my TOD v2 is noisy enough that I took it off my pedal board. It may well jump back on once I get around to getting a decent power supply. On batteries, it was fine; ergo, bad power + TOD v2 = hiss.

10. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Member

How do you explain the fact that the noise comes and goes as I mess with the pedal? If it was the power supply's fault the noise should be constant.

11. Frankenstrat86

it's the pedal. the pedal juice is like a big battery for pedals its not in a wall. I never had this happen with it or any powersupply actually where a pedal became unusable. There's something up with the jack connection. Maybe needs a re-solder or cleaning?

12. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Member

The noise disappeared and I was happy but then it came back...

I made a couple videos showing the its guts and the noise that comes and goes as I mess with the pedal.

Still, I was not able to attribute the noise to a specific component. I had the pedal open and poked each of the components but the noise seemed to follow its own random pattern...

In the end of the noise video, you can see that the noise produced by shutting off the main power supply is of the same 'make' as the noise that's troubling me.

13. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

Wow, somebody more knowledgeable than me can probably tell you what that is. Sounds horrible. My guess would be a bad jack or cold solder joints on the jack?

14. Lucky Jack

Lucky Jack Member

My Dano OD V2 gets Chinese radio, but only when plugged in to a One Spot. When I use another power source, the noise is gone, but the gain is pretty diminished as well. Maybe it's a grounding issue with the pedal?

15. juujuuj

juujuuj Member

mine has a bad gain pot can it be change easily?

16. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

This.