Danelectro U2 Pickups Out of Phase?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by forgivenman, Feb 4, 2012.

1. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

Hi Guys,

Years ago I had a Dano DC3 and I loved the tone but I eventually sold it. Today I snagged a U2 (I think it's a 2001) in a trade and it sounds pretty good but I think the PU's are out of phase. The neck PU is a little bigger and boomy-ier sounding than what I remember and the bridge sounds very thin and sort of compressed. It is also much lower in volume than the neck. When they're combined I hear the neck pickup much more than the bridge.

Here's the funny thing, the sound isn't exactly what I'd want but it really doesn't sound that bad and it plays like a dream. So...

What do you think? Does this sound out of phase to you?

If so, can I just flip one of the PU's around? If so, which one?

Thanks guys!!!

2. rocket_no9

rocket_no9 Member

when pup selector is set for "both", pups are wired in series ... overall volume should seriously increase. have you raised bridge pup? lowered neck pup?

3. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Member

Yep, raise the bridge pickup, lower the neck pickup. You're not describing the symptoms of two pickups out of phase - you can't tell if pickups are out of phase from the sound of a single pickup.

4. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

You guys were right! I raised the bridge and lowered the neck and it fixed it. Seriously fun guitar.