Dang. Bad day for my bikes.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by JWDubois, Mar 16, 2015.

1. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

Yesterday was really nice here in East TN, so I got out my tools and the bike stand to prep my bikes for spring. First up was my road bike, a 2001 Lemond Zurich. It's been hanging for two or three years. I've been riding dirt exclusively, but I have decided to do a lot more road training this year.

I cleaned it up, disassembled and degreased the trans, and put on fresh tires and a new chain. As soon as I tried the transmission, I found that the STI shifters weren't working. Looking online, it turns out they can gum up and become inoperable. A cleaning and lubrication can fix them, but I wasn't going to deal with trying to disassemble them, so a bike shop visit is in order.

Next up was my dirt bike, a 2012 29" Trek Rumblefish. On the last climb out of my last ride last season, I got a big "crack" from the rear end and the chain started sucking. I was hoping it was something minor like the chain, but it seems like either my hub or freewheel is broken. Off to the bike shop with this one too.

I got down my old mountain bike, an ancient (1998?) carbon framed K2 4500, which slowly accumulated a full set of XTR parts over the years. Guess what, the Rapidfires are gummed up and it won't shift either. Off to the shop with you!

Today I took the Lemond and the Trek to the shop. The shop called me on the Lemond. The shifters are fixed, but by the way, did you know your frame is cracked?!!!

Tonight I'm going to get down our Cannondale road tandem. I'm almost afraid to work on it ...

2. Weakendwarrior

Weakendwarrior Member

Sorry to hear about your problems with the bikes. I mountain bike exclusively but it's going to be a while yet before I see any of THAT action having just had another 40 cm of snow dumped on us yesterday.

3. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

Transmission? On a road bike? Is this a different term for the derailleur? Cassette maybe?

4. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Member

20+ year bike shop vet here

Ouch! I feel for ya'. Hope they can warranty that crack for you.

Yeah, I'm HOPING to just hop on my bike after work today and get a little ride in, but I haven't touched it since last season. I'm guessing I'll find all sorts of problems on this ride. Wish I had the discipline you do to take them all down and examine them!

5. VigilAndy

VigilAndy Member

That sucks. It's been such a tough winter here in NH. I was just thinking that by now I would have spent the obligatory weekend in front of my bike stand overhauling everything, and I'd be out on the road. As it stands, biking has been so far off the radar that I haven't even got my new cable kits or chains ordered. Probably won't be on the road for another couple of weeks.

Hope they get everything fixed for you and you're on the road soon. Be safe out there.

6. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

Sorry man. Maybe a derailleur change is in order. I'm up to one or two a year with serious woods and mountain bike riding.

7. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Sounds rough. I'm wondering if it would do you some good to pull these bikes down and shift through the gears a few times during the winter. Might help to keep things from seizing up.

8. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

1-2 derailleurs/year? What are you doing to them?

9. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

Yeah. Removed the cluster and scrubbed off several years worth of crud and gunked up chain lube. Also cleaned the derailleurs, front sprockets, etc. it's amazing how much crud was built up on the derailleur rollers. I didn't bother with cleaning the chain, just put on a new one.

10. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

Most of the time a tree branch will grab me. Lost some on rocks too.

11. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I'm not the guy you're talking to, but I did break a rear derailleur in the woods one time. I picked up a big stick somehow and the chain took it right into the derailleur. Snapped it right off.

Fortunately I always pack a chain tool. I finished the ride as a single speed.

Looks like the same thing happened to Bob.

12. Jerrod

I understand breaking one once in a while, but 1-2/year is the highest failure rate of any rider I know. Nice work! Here's hoping you're running SLX and not XTR.

13. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

According to my bike shop, Trek should honor the warranty, which is lifetime on frames, even though the Lemond brand apparently died after Trek bought them.

I'm not sure what this gets me. If they just give me a new Trek frame, I don't imagine many of my old parts will fit. I suspect I'll be building two bikes. One with a new group on a new frame, and another if I can find a used frame that will take my old Ultegra set.

14. Abe

Abe Member

I'd be cautious about just changing the chain. The chainrings and rear cassette all wear together and you can wind up with the chain skipping if you don't replace them at the same time. Depends on the amount of wear...

15. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

That's the point of changing the chain more often. Change it before it streches out of spec and impacts the cassette and jockey wheels. A good bike shop has a spec tool to measure chain stretch.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  16. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

wow, you're rough on your wheels aren't you?

For the dirt bikers of a certain age, it has been years since I've ridden. When I was young, I could just throw my leg over the saddle and take off for a ride. I utterly can not do that anymore. I can accept the fact that bodies change as we get older but I'd still like to be able to ride. Having to wear special shorts, as in they need to be located, made sure that they are laundered and ready; means taking off all my clothes and suiting up like I'm going to battle. It completely takes the spontaneity out of riding for fun. Don't even get me started on how much I hate how they look. I wear regular shorts over them.

Are there better seats that don't try to cram your taint up into your abdomen? I'd like the frank and beans to be comfortable without fear of chafing them raw and bloody.

17. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I'm 57 in May. If I can cram myself into my bike shorts for a few more years you can too. :aok

18. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

ha I turned 57 this year and gave up the torture two years ago. I miss the riding though

19. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

I also turned 57, last week. I haven't ridden in 10+ years. Isn't there a better way than bike shorts? I so hate them.

20. Jerrod

There are lots of baggies for mountain biking. Lots.