Dang POPS! Really ?!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by josh.rigaud, Feb 9, 2012.

1. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

Ive started numerous threads about popping noise. Been told its my power supply maybe. There is now a new power supply on the way,. Problem is that I wont have it for another 2 months or so.

I just want to understand why, does ONLY the 3 pedals after my buffer POP, and I mean pop HARD, for about 5- 10 minutes and then completely stop.

Rig = Guitar - Little Black Buffer - turbo Tuner - BB pre amp - Shiba Drive - carl martin compressor/limiter - Keeley katana - SUpa Trem - Time Factor - WET - Amp ...

I guess the question I cant seem to find an answer to is this:

- Why is it only the first 3 pedals after the buffer that do this? ( Tuner- bb - shiba ) ... all others are dead quiet

- Why does it do this only for a 10 minute span?

2. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

1. they are true bypass, carl martin has a buffer in it. so my assumption would be removal of the buffer would still cause them to pop

2. once you 'release' the charge that builds up on the switch they no longer pop unless they lay dormant for a while.

in my experience i've found pops to be primarily a cable/grounding issue, usually caused by poorly put together solderless cables or 'daisy' chain type power supplys.

3. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

The Carl Martin does not cause any pops... Removal of the JHS buffer results in NO pops whatsoever. what if I completely remove the carl martin ... havent tried that ... hmmmm

I have ordered a VDL ISO5, to power the buffer and a few other pedals.

Ill actually stomp on the pedals for a good minute, still pops... and hard. It just goes away by itself after about 10 minutes. That is what is confusing me.

4. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Turbo Tuner on my small board that I haven't used in a while. The board has a Cioks DC8 powering it. Just recently, the Turbo Tuner developed a loud popping noise when I engage/disengage it, only the Turbo Tuner. I have been running it in the middle of the chain or the end w/ effects w/ buffers throughout the signal. I just released the charge by engaging and disengaging several times, and the popping is gone.

5. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

Not mine ... I can tap it all i want ... pops remain ... :huh

6. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

Sounds like there could be some dc leaking out of the jhs

7. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

8. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Yup. A power supply isn't going to fix anything. I had this same problem with a true bypass looper that would pop, but only in the channels with Boss pedals in them. At the time I was using a 1 spot and several independent wall warts, and the builder kept telling me it couldn't be the looper, had to be the power. So I went out and dropped $300+ on two new PP2+ to power everything, got it wired up and they all still popped. Needless to say the looper went back and, and when I replaced it with a new looper (I've been through 3 different ones since then) nothing pops at all. I can only assume that there was some dc leakage in the looper itself.

All that to say, my opinion is send the jhs buffer back and demand they refund you, and buy a T1M buffer.

9. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Why do you need a buffer???? (loaded question..) Get rid of the JHS altogether and call it a day.

10. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Good point. I never even read through his rig rundown, just assumed he needed it. The only reason I can see for needing a buffer with that gear is that buffers are the cheap "fad" piece of gear to have right now...

11. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

Well ive got a bunch of TB pedals... Given, the timefactor has a buffer it is ...

12. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

Also sendingit back ... not an option. Im in Brazil now ... No way of sending it back. What I will pay on sending and returnin will cost me as much as buying a new one .

13. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

The buffer seems unnecessary to me unless you spend a lot of time playing with none of the effects engaged. Everyone has gone true-bypass + buffer crazy around here. Doesn't make sense.

14. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

There are certain times a buffer is an improvement. Just because everyone has bought one in the past 6 months is not an improvement to your own personal sound...

Edit: This is not a rip, I have to say this exact phrase out loud to myself every time I see a T1M or JHS buffer pop up in the emporium...

15. terrapin

terrapin Member

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Member

Sounds like you answered your own question.

17. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I agree, just don't use the little black buffer. If the Carl Martin has buffered bypass, then you already have a buffer after three pedals. Those three pedals aren't going to add that much cable length before the buffer. I haven't used your specific dirt pedals, but you may find that you like your tone better without a buffer between your guitar and your dirt pedals. I know I did.

18. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

Actually like what the buffer does. Plus, im about to take teh compressor off the board to make room for a 2nd small power supply. I use the compressor very sparingly.

If I wanted no buffer I would have removed the buffer obviously. I do hear a difference. And I like it. And most of the time im Playing with 1-2 pedals on at the same time.

19. ubersam

ubersam Member

Check to see the if it JHS buffer has a small-ish pull-down resistor after output cap. If it doesn't, tack on a 10K-100k resistor across output and ground. That might help.

20. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

Then it would seem your best options are to find someone locally that can check the buffer out and repair it, or get a new buffer. In the mean time, if you aren't using the compressor (or don't use it when your dirt pedals are on, you could try putting it first in line to use as a buffer, in place of the little black buffer, and see if that gets the sound you want without the pops. Maybe not the perfect solution, but it might get you by until you can work something else out.