Dang, Zoom is just doing everything right...

ksandvik

One option with single button tap tempo is so start tapping on the single button to set the tempo *and then no tapping at all for a pre-defined time, let's say 10 seconds* which switches back to original mode. If 10 seconds is too much, there's a simple preference setting to set N seconds.

Zoom, feel free to use this idea in your patent application.

dbun

Really, the TT implementation is no different to everything else that is on the market. Hold the footswitch for a moment, tap your tempo, hold the footswitch again. Same as the Line 6 Echo Park, Hardwire DL-8, Boss DD-7, and numerous other TT capable pedals.

I don't agree with the DD-7 in your list as it allows external tap tempo. So whilst the inbuilt tap tempo function is the same, you have other options.

I've avoided all others you have mentioned purely because of no external tap. I don't want to individually tap in the tempo of each of my pedals. I want to tap a single switch and have all my time based effects sync'd.

The sequence for setting tap tempo is:
1. Push and hold to bring up tap tempo menu.
2. Tap in tempo.
3. Push and hold to exit tap temp menu.

Does anyone know if you can just tap in the tempo without having to exit the menu? Or does the tempo only 'lock-in' once you exit?

drew_fx

Aye, that's the reason I use two DD7's also!!

Pedalboard.jpg

drew_fx

Does anyone know if you can just tap in the tempo without having to exit the menu? Or does the tempo only 'lock-in' once you exit?

The tempo is tracked constantly when tap tempo is active. You don't have to exit the menu to apply it. Not from what I can see anyway.

dbun

Aye, that's the reason I use two DD7's also!!

Nice! I run a DD-20 + DD-5....so very similar setup!

To be honest, for what I want, the MS-70CDR would probably work fine. Also, now that we play to click tracks, I can preset the tempo too, which helps.

What are you using your 70CDR for?

drew_fx

What are you using your 70CDR for?

Bit of everything really. Currently really digging the flanger with a high resonance and a very slow rate. But I've got a bunch of reverb and delay settings on it too. I like the swell echo one that they cloned from the DL-4 too.

I reckon if I really tried, I could crib my entire pedalboard down to tuner+wah+volume+zoom, but I like having plenty of options!

dbun

The tempo is tracked constantly when tap tempo is active. You don't have to exit the menu to apply it. Not from what I can see anyway.

hmmm.....I've been wondering whether I can rewire the other input (don't need stereo) to the on/off button.

That way once the tap tempo menu is active, it will function as a tap tempo input.

The pedal will sit in one of the loops of my switcher, so once I cycle to the patch I want, press and hold to get into the tempo menu and then use my external tap tempo to sync everything up.

There are some downsides to this 'plan' though.

dwolfggc

Really, the TT implementation is no different to everything else that is on the market. Hold the footswitch for a moment, tap your tempo, hold the footswitch again. Same as the Line 6 Echo Park, Hardwire DL-8, Boss DD-7, and numerous other TT capable pedals.

The Line 6 Echo Park has a totally different tap tempo system. Their foot pedal has a dual use switch. Soft taps are for tempo and harder "click" presses are for on/off. It's actually pretty ingenious and works very well for a single pedal design (not that there aren't still people that don't like it). The only problem with it is that, in typical Line 6 fashion, the switch is unreliable and often fails.
That being said, it is a good idea and I have yet to see a better single switch tap tempo implementation.

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
One last comment here. The title of this thread is they "are doing everything right". A lot of these comments have to do with things they are not doing "right".

teejoo

Hmm...would MIDI commands work directly through this device into the G5/G3?

I'm thinking there might be a "translation" issue with how the Zoom devices receive program commands via USB.

Any experts wanna chime in on this?

The G3 responds to program change messages this way. Each PC message selects a patch on the G3.

drew_fx

The Line 6 Echo Park has a totally different tap tempo system. Their foot pedal has a dual use switch. Soft taps are for tempo and harder "click" presses are for on/off. It's actually pretty ingenious and works very well for a single pedal design (not that there aren't still people that don't like it). The only problem with it is that, in typical Line 6 fashion, the switch is unreliable and often fails.
That being said, it is a good idea and I have yet to see a better single switch tap tempo implementation.

On that pedal I found the "hard click" to basically require as long a footstomp as the other models I mentioned.

dwolfggc

Hmmm, YMMV of course, but I had a hold down for 2 seconds tap tempo pedal and then I got the Echo Park and it was a world of difference for me.

Look, all I have been doing is defending Zoom against people who can't wait more than a day after a product is released, and then want Zoom to add THEIR own favorite features. It's like folks don't think they asked anyone, or consulted folks on what features to include on current products.

Obviously some can't seem to grasp what I am trying to say. It's really not a big deal guys.
Zoom has created a few of their own "pedals" in the G series, G7 has some, G3 has some, G5 has some more.

I suspect Zoom has a plan to string us along with these separate boxes for awhile. I'll have to buy multiples to get all the algorithms. Once I've purchased all the separate boxes, I suspect that's when they'll release one box that has everything. Then, they'll probably release a smaller box that has everything.

It's a clever strategy that has served Line 6 well...MM4, DL4, FM4, DM4, M13, M9, M5, HD400, 500, 300. Many of the M series algorithms have had a very long life span.
You'd only hope they would show up on G3 or G5 as a firmware update. And why not support loyal customers.

hmmm.....I've been wondering whether I can rewire the other input (don't need stereo) to the on/off button.

That way once the tap tempo menu is active, it will function as a tap tempo input.

The pedal will sit in one of the loops of my switcher, so once I cycle to the patch I want, press and hold to get into the tempo menu and then use my external tap tempo to sync everything up.

There are some downsides to this 'plan' though.
Have you considered a Y cable ? 2 male into 1 female ... then a regular guitar cable to your amp ?

UncleLarry

The G3 responds to program change messages this way. Each PC message selects a patch on the G3.

I understand this. I guess my question should be, is the G3/G5 receiving actual MIDI commands through USB, or is the PC software using a proprietary code?

teejoo

It receives actual program changes, from a midi footswitch, no computer needed with the Kenton usb midi host.

Double 07

Well I'm really loving the overdrive and high gain sounds I've been able to coax out of my Zoom G5. it's really proven to be a great tool for those sounds. A wealth of great sounding effects in there too.

The only things they really need to improve on it for me to say it's the "complete" piece of gear that can get it all done are:

1) Better footswitching to make it a bit more user friendly in live gig settings. It works for now the way it is but could definitely be better.

2) Better sounding models for totally clean jazz type playing. Sometimes I think guys forget that good clean sounds should be harmonically rich, and dynamic, and robust sounding just like good dirty sounds should be. That's also should be without the need for using any compression because although compression is great for some playing (just ask David Gilmour LOL) it's actually not a good idea to use it on clean jazz playing as it squashes out some of the dynamic's needed for that kind of playing. They should be able to easily do it. Modellers are essentially SS devices and many jazz player's will tell you they actually prefer SS jazz amps for their jazz playing.

Here's one example of a good warm, chimey, harmonically rich clean sound that you also should be able to achieve with modelling gear: Whether you like the playing or this kind of music is irrelevant I'm just talking about the sound.

With a decent vintage voiced humbucker in the neck position this kind of sound should be achievable with all the modelling gear.

*Okay I'm pretty sure this was played on a Fender Twin BUT all these modelling guys claim they can model a Fender Twin so you should be able to dial in this kind of sound with their gear.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom