D'Angelo & the Vanguard /Cologne- clips added!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by schultzvil, Mar 6, 2015.

1. schultzvil

schultzvil In the Clean Channel Silver Supporting Member

Just got back from seeing D'Angelo and the Vanguard in Köln (Cologne) Germany and man that show was like a "scorched earth policy"- they didn't leave much standing. Pino Palladino with Chris "Daddy" Dave on the drums just crushed it and D'Angelo himself was really in form; he's super "present" and focused and just OWNED that stage. The german girls were screaming like it was 15 years ago.. I got to see the Voodoo tour at the Universal Amphitheater in L.A. in april 2000, and that show was pretty incredible. But this tonight, with a different vibe in the new material, and the band spinning the old material with that new vibe, was different, but equally mind-blowing. Kendra Foster & two male singers were incredible, Isiah Sharkey on guitar sounded incredible, Jesse Johnson was the only question mark, he seemed distracted or disengaged- he was having in-ear monitor problems and wasn't a happy camper- not sure what was up there. But D'Angelo himself was singing his butt off and worked the crowd to death. The band he handled like James Brown- hand signals, fingers for amounts of 'hits', stopping on a dime, in odd places, one tune had a trick where he'd sing "we stop on the TWO" and they did- tack sharp. Calling for the bridge spontaneously...
    Just unbelievable. If you dig this stuff, DON'T miss a chance to see him if he tours the States- or wherever. This was the next to last gig of this tour, tomorrow night in Brussels is it. Had to share it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  2. schultzvil

One more shot- I was close...

[​IMG]

3. chopsley

chopsley Silver Supporting Member

Nice! We missed him here in NYC, tickets were waaay too expensive.

4. Neer

Neer Member

Yeah, saw him at the Apollo a few weeks ago and also saw him on the Voodoo tour. Two of the best shows I've ever seen. There was something really special about this time around, though.

5. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

He's the real deal. I hope I get the chance to see him here in the states before he disappears. My antidote to all of the indie rockers in skinny jeans coming through town every week.

6. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

Oh and the laptop dj's playing Rihanna songs with a slight remix and raking in 15,000 to 30,000 a night.

7. schultzvil

Put it this way: I'll second what NEER says- "two of the best shows I've ever seen" - and not trying to brag, but I saw Jimi 5 times,
    James Brown in 1969, Bob Marley & The Wailers 5 times...

This gets added to THAT list...

TGP is funny... I probably should head the thread "Pino Palladino in Köln last night" and it would get a lot of attention ;-) oh well..

I made two long video clips, and to my amazement they both came out excellent. I've never uploaded to YouTube, but I think I'm gonna lose my cherry tomorrow and I'll try to get them up, then link them here. One is the tune "Lady" and it's 11 and half minutes long with all KINDS of dynamic twists and turns and unbelievable playing from the band. The other is 8 minutes of "How Does It Feel"... which everybody had to wait about 3 hours for... and which is pretty spine tingling... hope I manage to post 'em.

8. lfio710

lfio710 Member

Oh man, cannot wait to see them. Thanks so much for sharing!

9. Inoshishi

Inoshishi Member

Looking forward to seeing those clips. Thanks!

10. schultzvil

clips added! Check at the first post!
    Wow that was a show. There are quite a few clips up of the 2 days before in Holland and they are smokin'.
    what a tour..

11. Neer

Neer Member

It just doesn't get better than that. My favorite artist.

12. djbrough

djbrough Member

They are incredible. A real UNIT!

13. el duderino

el duderino Member

Holy **** am I jealous!!! One mo 'gin is one of my favorite songs. Pino has such a bad ass groove on that track and that was a killer version!

14. Neer

Neer Member

D'Angelo is playing in New York tonight. If you haven't seen him, I wouldn't let this one go by.

15. chopsley

chopsley Silver Supporting Member

What!? Do you have any details?

EDIT: Best Buy theater, sold out....