Danny Gatton Sleepwalk, incredible clip

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by RickC, Apr 10, 2015.

1. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Not sure if this has been posted before; never seen it. Great example of what all the fuss was about

/rick

2. sahhas

sahhas Member

danny was one of the greats....
    man that '53 telecaster is WORN, from PLAYING!!!
    thanks for sharing!

3. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

They way he pulls off those harmonics is astounding.

4. RLD

RLD Member

Incredible talent.
    Sad the way his story ended.
    I bet being in the direct beam of that amp would be painful.

5. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

Is that a maple board turned black? Or a rosewood one?

Damn that's good. Oh, Danny. Did ya have to leave us?

Sniffs...

HMTM

6. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

+1000. Amazing player. Unsurpassable phrasing. Nails on chalkboard tone (at times).

7. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Maple.

8. stromero01

stromero01 Member

incredible talent, but I did NOT like this. just overdone, self indulgent wankery that robs the song of any subtlety or nuance at the expense of showing off his very impressive technical skill.

9. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

I enjoyed it for what it was. I hear you about the lack of subtlety (especially after 5:00). But I think there's room for different takes on songs to exist. He could have names his version Sleeprock.
    For a more traditional take, I really like the Stray Cats version off of Choo Choo Hot Fish.

10. Young John

Young John Member

11. gmann

gmann Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Everything but the kitchen sink. I think he played everything but Sleepwalk. Just because you can doesn't mean that you should. Danny was an amazing player capable of playing anything really. Sometimes less is more. I've seen the video before and it struck as a guy that's very bored and is just playing everything he can think of, just going thru the motions. Of course it's fantastic but it's also the worst version of Sleepwalk I've ever heard. OTOH, I'm sure this is what the audience wanted. Again, I think he's one of the very best.

12. Carmour

Carmour Member

Ive heard this song so many times so I really love this clip. Call it showing off but I think everything he does in this is pretty tasteful. I'm not one for guitar acrobatics, and I really don't think this is that tbh. His playing is still hella expressive and melodic.

Hahaha everything AND the kitchen sink maybe. Dannys "everything" is a whole lot deeper than yours or mine. This is barely all he can do.

For those saying less is more, I guess you missed the part where he played the melody? That was pretty sparse and restrained..

13. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

I agree with you and Stromero01.
    Gatton was obviously a stellar guitarist but very often I feel that he's just showing his chops. It must be said also that Sleepwalk is a piece that REALLY needs a slide and it's difficult to make justice to the song without that.
    Check out this version played on a lap steel by Freddie Roulette, even with some problem with the intonation is on a completely different level:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09FdHpqX1iA

14. gmann

gmann Member

Yeah I heard the melody. If you walked into the bar a minute after the song started you wouldn't know what he was playing. Most of what he was playing had nothing to do with Sleepwalk. Sometimes less is more. BTW, if you think Danny's everything is a whole lot deeper than mine you would 100% correct.

15. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

My current band doesn't like to play this song, but I used to play it a lot. Virtually every time someone would come up and ask "what song is that?"
    Not particularly fond of this version and that brittle sounding guitar but Gatton's the Man for sure....

16. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

That's about where I fall on this clip, and Danny in general. He's like a Ferrari; slow and restrained is just not what he was built for. When I hear the term "wanking", I think mindless running of the fingers. That's not what I hear in Danny's playing at all.

/rick

17. MarkB71

MarkB71 Member

I never got the feeling that he was doing something "just because he could." His talent was simply monstrous, and as John Lee Hooker once said "It's in him, and it's got to come out."

18. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

With ya there.. Setzer kills on that cut.

19. Neer

Neer Member

It's entertainment, man. Danny had that rare gift of being able to entertain an audience with his guitar playing, the same way Steve Vai, Tommy Emmanuel, etc. do. His goal wasn't to touch your heart.

20. DRS

DRS Member

Very tasty around 3:00
    While some of it may seem like wankery to us today, remember, this was in the late 80s and you had to have guitar flash back then.

Here is a more traditional version.