Dano 63 Owners Chime in - Need Help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dalandan, Dec 19, 2009.

1. dalandan

dalandan Member

Hi,

a local guitar store has the Dano 63 from 2008 still in stock. I'm thinking of buying one but have read about quality problems like the tape coming off and the hardware being bad.

after having it for a year, how is the guitar doing? an online retailer said 100 guitars had to be returned for poor quality in the past.

i really like the guitar and don't want to waste my time buying it just to have it break down on me.

2. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

I would suggest spending the extra money and buying a real Silvertone 1457 if you are leery of the newer reissues. You can't beat the original pups and if you find a good player, it's one you will probably keep for life. Nothing else sounds like'em :)

Good luck - jv

3. dalandan

dalandan Member

the vintage guitar market isn't that strong around my parts. i'm not looking for something period correct. i actually liked the sound of the dano 63 i tried.

my only issue is build quality. i'm not expecting custom shop standards, i just want to know if the tape on the side really comes off or if there are any other issues with the guitar! :thud

4. madmark

madmark Member

Its not a bad guitar if you can get it for a decent price.. The tape does tend to lift on some.. Just heat it with a hairdryer and goes back on.. I dont think it will break down on you.. You need to play it and see what you think...

5. dalandan

dalandan Member

thank you for the replies so far. I appreciate them very much.

6. McQuade

McQuade Member

Mine's neck got all weird quick and I haven't felt like taking the whole guitar apart to adjust the neck yet, The first one I got from Musician's Friend, came without strap buttons or an input jack, it was underneath the tape. The guitar does sound really good but they are cheepnis. I ate a hot dog it taste real good

McQuade

7. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

then i watched a movie from hollywood...

i've got a '63 baritone. i've seen some with no tape lift. and i've seen some with an excessive amount of tape lift. if its not acceptable to you in the store, then its probably not going to get any better. so it depends on what's acceptable to you.

the hardware is fine. its not amazing, but it does the job.

8. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I've got the bass, got it for $161 shipped when they closed them out, and it is great. I would like to get one of the guitars to go with it.

Al

9. dalandan

dalandan Member

the one i tried had strap buttons and an input jack. I hope the paint doesn't peel off. It's a very attractive guitar for me, having owned a les paul and a tele, more "traditional" looking electrics.

Does anyone else care to share their experiences with the 63? So far, I've confirmed a little bit of the tape coming off and also some neck problems.

10. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

I was just making a suggestion on how to spend your money, since you seemed to like the reissues... why not get the very guitar they were modeled after? You can find them on eBay for not much more than the reissues cost.

I do know that the late 90's Danelectro reissues that were made in Korea seem to be better quality than the newer Chinese reissues. They can also be found on eBay... cheaper than a new one. I've not heard much about the tape coming off on those and the necks and fret work are pretty good.

Just trying to be helpful and offer an opinion for your consideration - jv

11. holgaguy

holgaguy Member

I bought a 63 reissue about a year and a half ago. I love it. My bandmates think it's the best sounding guitar I have. Although lately I've been using it for slide, it works great for regular playing too. I've had no issues with the tape and unlike the originals, the bridge allows for adjusting intonation. Also, the reissue pickups are a little hotter than the originals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqI6JzXW4_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4kjm6dLG2M

12. dalandan

dalandan Member

you are very helpful,man. thanks. i've actually gone through ebay after reading your first post.

thanks for answering my concern regarding the quality issues.

nice! I've seen your video dozens of times. You have the best demo of this guitar.

13. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

i disagree.

i own two 90s RIs, a Convertible and a DC-12. i have also owned a second Convertible and a DC-59. the other two went away because they were terrible. the second convertible had intermittent electronics and some fungus on the neck that wouldn't scrub out. the DC-59 rattled no matter what you tightened down. it sounded ok plugged in, but there was always something wrong with it. it was also made in Indonesia, whereas the ones i kept were made in Korea.

the newer '63ri baritone is on-par with the Korean models.

i agree that these guitars do not feel like the originals, nor do they sound exactly like them. but they are great guitars and capture the overall vibe with some modern features. and that's exactly what i like about them.

14. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

Hmmm... I think we are actually in agreement that the Korean made reissues seemed to have better quality control. I take all guitars on a guitar by guitar basis, so these are of course always generalizations.

I also agree that the reissues (any of them) can be very good guitars. I was just giving my 2 cents about the originals, as in my opinion they just sound better to my ear and have a unique sound that no other guitar duplicates. If anyone digs the sound of any guitar, then that is the criteria that matters most... vintage, original, whatever. Play what you like.

Peace - jv

15. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

So we should play what WE like and not what OTHERS like?

I think I get it now.

Because I have been buying all of my guitars based on what my friend said he liked. But I now see that was the wrong way to go.

:messedup

16. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

:D

here's a clip i recorded last night with my '63ri baritone. nevermind the sloppy play, i was working out some riffs to show my bass player.

[​IMG]

17. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

I know I was stating the obvious, but there are a lot of folks on here asking for advice on guitars.

No need to be condescending.

18. dalandan

dalandan Member

yup. and i wasn't asking if you guys liked the sound. if they were paying attention this thread was about the build quality of a cheap guitar. some cheapies are very reliable like the agiles and SX brands from rondo music and a few more local brands here where I'm from. The dano 63 just has some issues im not quite sure of hence the thread.

i personally have no use for people's preferences on guitars unless it can apply for me and my playing style.

cheers!

19. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

Good luck on your search, dalandan.

In my experience, the cheaper guitars (which applies to pretty much all Dano's old and new), means some holes in the quality control. There are great examples, but you just have to dig a little bit to find them. If you can check them out in person, vs ordering one, that will be a big plus to knowing exactly what you are getting.

I'm sure there are some really fantastic Dano 63's out there, and here's to hoping you find one. As far as the side binding tape goes, make sure you check for any air bubbles under the tape, as that is usually how it starts to come off.
    Peace - jv

20. dalandan

dalandan Member

thanks. will do! if i end up buying one, i will make a review of my own. ;):BluesBros