Danocaster Ilitch question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tritone 6, Apr 7, 2018.

1. tritone 6

tritone 6 Member

so I have a bit of a dilemma. Need help from a specific group. (Or at least 1 person!)

I’m expecting delivery on my first Danocaster. (Double cut) I’ve wanted one of these forever and I decided a long time ago that I wanted to have it set up with the Ilitch system.

I just can’t deal with the hum. I play with gain and regardless of how some people feel about that, or even myself at times. That’s the route I wanna go with this guitar.

I have no problem with noiseless pickups for certain guitars, but not this one.

Dan is installing Rocketfire total 60’s pickups with a baseplate on the bridge pup (his suggestion, based on my tonal taste) with a non reverse wound middle pickup.

Dan is a purist and understandably doesn’t wanna deal with the ilitch system in his build. (I tried lol)

So my dilemma is this...I want to keep the guitar as close to how it was built by Dan cosmetically. I’d like to avoid having the larger back plate.

Part of Dan’s art is the aging of the guitar, including the pickguard.
    Ilitch makes a pickguard version of the system, but from what I can gather, he’d have to install it with one of his pickguards. (Or me)
    I really want to keep all Dans work intact.

Do I explain this all to Ilitch and have the guitar shipped directly to him once it’s completed? Is this something I should try and do myself (I’m a good solderer and swap pickups and electronics pretty well)

I’m not crazy about the idea of having this amazing guitar built and having it shipped from Nashville to California then back to NY.
    But I want it done right and would love to receive it ready to play.

I would love to hear from some of you who may have had similar preferences or what compromises you may have had to make.

This is kind of a dream guitar for me. I’ve had the plan in my mind for a long time, I just don’t know the easiest way to have it executed to completion.

Any advice from those who have gone down this road would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  2. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

You want to avoid the bigger backplate.
    You don’t want to use the Ilitch pickguard.
    Is there a third option?

My EBMM Albert Lee has the older version of their silent circuit, but uses a 9V to power it. So unless your Dano has room to stash a battery, I guess that’s out, too.

Have you asked Ilitch if they can age a pickguard to match the original that Dano is installing? Or if they can install their system on Dano’s pickguard???

tritone 6 likes this.
  3. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Silver Supporting Member

get the guard ahead of time and sent it to me to age for free ??

4. R Weaver FX

R Weaver FX Member

You’re going to love those Rocketfire 60’s.

tritone 6, TELECOLLECTOR and Thwap like this.
  5. tritone 6

tritone 6 Member

Thanks Dan. I’m gonna get in touch with him and see if I can make that happen.
    Thanks for the responses guys. I have some time. I just didn’t want to wait till the last minute. I want to have a plan in place.

6. jm9239

jm9239 Member

I love my dano double cut with rocketfires. I'd personally leave it as is without the modification and extra weight.

7. jim1jam

jim1jam Supporting Member

I have done this to both of my Dano's. I aged them myself to get them as close as I could
    to match the original aged pickguard that came with the Danocaster's, with help from Dan's suggestion's.
    I just had Ilitch remove one of them and return it to it's original format because I need to sell it to pay off some big medical bills
    that i have accrued after my recent hospital stay. I figured it will be easier to sell it in it's original form. The system work's great while retaining the killer tone.
    As far as adding extra weight to the guitar it is not even noticeable from my personal experience.

I would call Ilitch he's a good guy and very helpful. I found out about his system many years ago - when my first Suhr guitar came with it installed from the factory.
    It had a push pull pot so I could take it completely out of the circuit. I A/B'd it with it on and off thousands of time's to see if it changed the tone, some people
    claim it roll's off a hair of treble, if it does it is so little it is hard to discern for my mortal ears. I think that what they are hearing is just the loss of the 60 cycle
    hum and the sizzle it produces. Plus Strat's have plenty of treble to begin with, and your amp probably has a treble eq control...lol

tritone 6 and Bob Pollock like this.
  8. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    ditto on calling Ilitch Electronics - they will sort out how to get you quieted down - they are very easy to talk to. The most effective use of their coil is to rout it into the top of the strat, under the pickguard. They will do that routing for you if you like. I just put their cavity coil system in a '50's Tribute Les Paul, using the stock Gibson P90s' - it's as effective as the other guitarists in my band's backplate system on his strat, I've not run into any issues with the LP cavity coil at keeping my P90 LP quiet. Call them

jim1jam, tritone 6 and GaryMcT like this.
  9. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Did you get any feedback from Ilitch on if the cavity coil is as good as the LP Jr or Special plate? Been tempted to try in my Jr or Special.

10. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I put the Ilitch backplate on my Senn Fullerton. It works great, Ilitch even came up with a mod so it'd work with the reverse wound middle pickup. The larger back plate isn't anything anyone would notice and doesn't belittle the killer vintage looking finishes that both Jeff and Danocaster do. I have a lot of vintage guitars and never even think twice about the backplate.

jim1jam and tritone 6 like this.
  11. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I have the slightly oversized cavity plate for my Les Paul - my P90's are matched output at 7.8, so that is what they recommended, after I emailed them phone photo's of the cavity area. Hope that helps.

GaryMcT and tritone 6 like this.
  12. tritone 6

tritone 6 Member

Thanks for all the info guys. Keep your comments coming. I’m gonna call ilitch and find out what is the simplest way to go on this.

13. darkphader

darkphader Member

I love Rocketfires, they are my favorite "normal" (not-noiseless) Strat pickups; I replaced the Arcane '61's that came on my Dano with them as well as the Lollars on my Thorn.
    Now both guitars have Zexcoils (Z-Core 5 vintage hot set) on them. Not sure Dan would ever install them as they don't look vintage (no pole pieces showing).
    All of the boutique pickups I have sound good, and all a bit different. And unlike all of the other noiseless Strat pickups I've played, the Zexcoils sound like real single coil pickups (even though they have 6 coils per pickup) and just as "vintage".
    Just an option to think about, and probably less cost than an Illitch system (way less if Dan will install them - you wont have to buy them aftermarket).

tritone 6 likes this.
  14. tritone 6

tritone 6 Member

Thanks for the reply. I actually have played the Zexcoils and liked them. Like I said I have nothing against noiseless, I’ve played a few I like. Just not on this guitar. For this one I’m going pretty traditional. It’s a plan I’ve had for quite a while, it’s just taken some time to get it rolling and I really want to see it through.

jim1jam likes this.